Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Here's what life will be like in 2022 according to IBM

Written version and more details in link
    http://www.sciencealert.com/these-ar...living-in-2022

"Technology giant IBM is known for of making bold predictions about the future, and it's just announced its latest "5 in 5" list, highlighting the five innovations that they think will have the biggest impact on our lives over the next five years.

According to the company, in only a few years, we're set to see huge developments in artificial intelligence (AI), ultra-powerful telescopes, smart sensors, and medical devices - with benefits ranging from healthcare and the environment, to our understanding of Earth and the Universe itself.
    Of course, all these predictions are based on technology and research developments that are happening right now - there's no way of knowing what else might crop up in the next five years.
    But take a look at this vision of the near future, and you might want to check back in once 2022 hits, just to see if the scientists got it right.

1. Thanks to AI, our speech will be a window into our mental health

2. Superhero vision will be possible with AI and powerful new devices

3. 'Macroscopes' will help us understand Earth's complexity in infinite detail

4. 'Labs on a chip' will revolutionise medicine

5. Smart sensors will detect environmental pollution faster than ever

As we mentioned above, predicting the future is notoriously tricky, but these kinds of technologies are already well into development by research teams all over the world, so it's really just a question of when we get there.
    Let's hope things are even more awesome in 2022, thanks to whatever amazing tech scientists can come up with.
    Because the Universe is set to give us a bright new 'star' in the night sky by then, so let's see if we can top that."

10+ Year Old Account
    This reminds me of back in the early 90s there were predictions that by early 2000s we would have flying cars.

Deleted
    1. unlikely, there will be a lot of ai in 5 years but speech analysis on that level is a stretch, if only due to the speed at which data the ai can learn from can be gathered. on top of that it would already have to be in FDA approval procedures to make the cut.
    2. unlikely, too advanced/expensive for 5 years unless the military had it right now, and if the military had it right now they wouldn't be allowed to talk about it.
    3. sure, military has cameras that can do that right now and has publicly talked about it, so possible.
    4. already exists, so possible it will reach mass market in 5 years. basically just a glorified name for a smaller pregnancy test/blood sugar test/urine analyzer that can do more complicated tests.
    5. sure, basically just evolution of existing tech, unlikely to reach high saturation/deployment levels in 5 years though unless they start real soon.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-01-25 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    In the 80s, scientists predicted we will have flying cars in 2015.

It didnt happen. I don't believe development will be that fast.
    Larry Page, one of the Google founders is supposed to be working on a flying car. I can't find much about it on the internet though.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I always expected flying cars to come after automated ones. People suck enough at 2D driving, I could only imagine what 10,000 cars in rush hour traffic would be like under human control with the vertical axis in play.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

This isn't a Trump thread

but... we do have flying cars ?

Just because they aren't viable for daily use doesn't mean they don't exist.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

and

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    This reminds me of back in the early 90s there were predictions that by early 2000s we would have flying cars.
    Haters just gotta hate. You both cite ridiculously vague "scientists" and the bullshit notion of flying cars without any notion to the accuracy of the IBM predictions.

oh, and:

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    but... we do have flying cars ?

Just because they aren't viable for daily use doesn't mean they don't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of these things will happen. Anyone can see right now we are headed for a politically caused stagnation of development.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't see a jetpack on there...pretty sure we were promised jetpacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    and

Haters just gotta hate. You both cite ridiculously vague "scientists" and the bullshit notion of flying cars without any notion to the accuracy of the IBM predictions.

oh, and:
    Settle down, i wasn't making any sort of biased statement, just that the post sparked this particular memory of mine. Now holster your guns.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Settle down, i wasn't making any sort of biased statement, just that the post sparked this particular memory of mine. Now holster your guns.
    Fair enough. /holstered

(and well put - much appreciate the explanation)

At least some of these things are already semi functional unless I was buying into bull shit. Which is a bit different.

The only thing I expect is one massive new 'thing' that incorporates itself into everyday life. Smart phones was the last 'thing'.

7+ Year Old Account
    Poker is just now falling to AI, but it's right on the edge. The next couple challenges to be solved are probably human-level language translation and driving.

None of these are my mecha/exosuit, therefore I am uninterested. Go away nerds and make me my damned giant robot post haste!

10+ Year Old Account
    I want my hover board first.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    None of these things will happen. Anyone can see right now we are headed for a politically caused stagnation of development.
    Not really sure how politics will cause stagnation of privately funded research. Publicly funded sure, but that would only really effect military driven research for the most part. Also given the number of countries all over the globe that do research most of them would have to halt public funding for your statement to be even remotely true.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not if scientists are being silenced.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

Predictions aren't always accurate but "I don't believe development will be that fast" doesn't seem an adequate rebuttle. Did anyone here think the internet would go from barely existent to a daily necessity in our lifetimes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.