Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Not complaining, but alt progression goes so fast it almost feels silly now

I just capped a new character yesterday, spending a few hours just doing that, getting from 109 to 110. Popped an AK20 tome, and within the same day, got to AP level 20. Not even properly grinding it, that was just from dungeons and WQs and other side stuff I did along the way of the gear grind which I actually made less progress on (this character is still below 810, so I didn't even have access to heroics yet)

I suspect getting to 35 will not take very long at all, in fact by being bestowed with instant AK20 upon level capping, just doing Suramar probably gets it most/all of the way there, if not overshooting, especially if one waits a few days for it to pool up to AK25.

The gear grind also doesn't feel like it takes terribly long imo. If you're rerolling for heroic NH, yeah that'll take a while, but from the last alt I did, even before 7.1.5 it only took a few weeks to get to ~865ish, WITHOUT dumping tons of gold on the character to give them all kinds of crafted gear.

All in all the most painful part of rolling a new character to me is actually the exp grind from 1 to 110 (or 55 to 110, even) more than anything else. Which is crazy considering all the heirlooms and exp pots and other things you can abuse for efficiency. There's no weekly lockouts or time gates on exp.
    Last edited by Raxz; 2017-01-27 at 01:37 PM.

If your weapon is vl 20 you farmd 0,19% of the ap you need to max out your weapon

the Total AP you need to get for a certain lvl are

lvl 20 = 121k
    lvl 34 = 5,2 million
    lvl 54 = 65 million
    Last edited by Durandir; 2017-01-27 at 02:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People complained Legion being the most unfriendly expansion for alts at the start, that's why they put in the AK20 for alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandir View Post
    So far you farmd 0,19% of the ap you need to max out your weapon and your complaining it´s to easy ?

Here a look at the reality

the Total AP you need to get for certain lvl´s

lvl 20 = 121k
    lvl 34 = 5,2 million
    lvl 54 = 65 million
    I'm only going for 35 so that I can get part 2 of the story. Even if I wanted to reroll and make one of these characters my new main, 54 is more of a long-term goal anyway and no one in my guild really expects anyone to already have it. Maybe a different story for other people.

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Ok, now go and do it with all 12 classes like I'm attempting. Clearly that shouldn't be too hard for you?
    I am.
    Last edited by Raxz; 2017-01-27 at 02:27 PM.

Except for the rep grinds you need to do to get the big AP drops from the NH questline. GL starting that over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Ok, now go and do it with all 12 classes like I'm attempting. Clearly that shouldn't be too hard for you?
    What, so now you are comparing how hard it is to reach cap on main and a alt, no wait.. your main and 11alts?wtf plz

Quote Originally Posted by Raxz View Post
    I just capped a new character yesterday, spending a few hours just doing that, getting from 109 to 110. Popped an AK20 tome, and within the same day, got to AP level 20. Not even properly grinding it, that was just from dungeons and WQs and other side stuff I did along the way of the gear grind which I actually made less progress on (this character is still below 810, so I didn't even have access to heroics yet)

I suspect getting to 35 will not take very long at all, in fact by being bestowed with instant AK20 upon level capping, just doing Suramar probably gets it most/all of the way there, if not overshooting, especially if one waits a few days for it to pool up to AK25.

The gear grind also doesn't feel like it takes terribly long imo. If you're rerolling for heroic NH, yeah that'll take a while, but from the last alt I did, even before 7.1.5 it only took a few weeks to get to ~865ish, WITHOUT dumping tons of gold on the character to give them all kinds of crafted gear.

All in all the most painful part of rolling a new character to me is actually the exp grind from 1 to 110 (or 55 to 110, even) more than anything else. Which is crazy considering all the heirlooms and exp pots and other things you can abuse for efficiency. There's no weekly lockouts or time gates on exp.

.... so you actually ARE complaining then?

If it wasn't this fast, a player who wanted to change class would take months to be on par with his main.

If his main is on 54 traits, that will still take weeks to farm.

I rerolled in 7.1.5 to Paladin (Play all 3 specs right now)

currently after doing around 75% of suramar and 3 prestiges in PVP, I'm sitting on:

34 traits Holy
    33 traits Prot
    32 traits Ret

The gravy train of Suramar is over for my paladin, soon. Then i'll be doing W quests / prestige / mythic+ for AP, like everyone else.

This is a good thing. Without this, we would have the same reason TBC sucked for new players and alts.
    Last edited by Sliske; 2017-01-27 at 02:57 PM.

I think it's great. My spriest hit 110 like 10 days ago, just need the last golden trait, then that 5 % thing which even my main doesn't have.

No legendary though, whereas my monk which hit 110 within the last week on 7.1 got a legendary from the 2nd emissary cache
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidconfusion View Post
    .... so you actually ARE complaining then?
    I'm enjoying going this fast and it's ultimately a very good thing because prior to 7.1.5 I had lost interest in my alts and stopped playing them. Now the game feels good on characters other than my main again and I've gotten back to actually using them.

It is, however, at the same time hilarious the extent to which we've made Blizzard bend over backwards for us. I'm amazed it happened.

Noob question: How exactly did you get AK20 immediately? Do you get that for free now when you ding 110?

Quote Originally Posted by Pawstruck View Post
    Noob question: How exactly did you get AK20 immediately? Do you get that for free now when you ding 110?
    If you have a character at AK25, you buy a book, bound to your bnet account that instantly grants whichever character you send it to AK20. If you have a character at AK 20+ you can only buy a book that grants AK15. Costs 1K order resources.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagonos View Post
    If you have a character at AK25, you buy a book, bound to your bnet account that instantly grants whichever character you send it to AK20. If you have a character at AK 20+ you can only buy a book that grants AK15. Costs 1K order resources.
    Well... @ the OP, then, I don't think that's unfair or "too easy" at all. For you guys that have played 4-6 hours per day since Legion launched, yeah, you're gonna have an advantage. For people like me who have to unsub for final exams or other RL issues and come back later, it's not like they're giving away AK on the street corner. And as was stated in the second or third post in this thread, even 20AK is a small fraction of the maximum artifact power.

Deleted
    leveled an alt recently and it does indeed feel abit odd to get what your main could barely do in 3 weeks in 3 hours. but then when you look at it objectively you only did less then 1% of progress even to 35.

I am however fully expecting to reach rank 35 from just the regular suramar quest if i let the char rest untill knowledge 25.

also PSA: in patch 7.2 they will no doubt make getting to 34 take just hours.

Deleted
    well nobody caresi f you have 35 traits anylonger, i have had 54 for like a month now.

in my opinion people who aren't 54 yet, are just underperforming by default.

I expect people to have 54 traits, if not they are just doing less than what I expect of them. simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawstruck View Post
    Well... @ the OP, then, I don't think that's unfair or "too easy" at all. For you guys that have played 4-6 hours per day since Legion launched, yeah, you're gonna have an advantage. For people like me who have to unsub for final exams or other RL issues and come back later, it's not like they're giving away AK on the street corner. And as was stated in the second or third post in this thread, even 20AK is a small fraction of the maximum artifact power.
    I believe if you don't have access to that, a fresh 110 can now buy an instant ak10

I hit 110 on a new character about 10 days before 7.1.5 and trying to get to a point of being viable was frustrating. Gear was fine but trying to get my second major trait was just so slow. After the patch I switched specs (another story) and was at 28 points (from 4) the next day. Doing daily M+, all the AP WQ's and Suramar quests I was at 35 a little more than a week later, but then it really slows down. I feel like it is actually a catch up now as opposed to the tediously slow 'catch up mechanism' of having the AK research go very slightly faster. I am still obviously behind where I would have been playing this character all along and being AK 25 a while ago. I think it's a pretty fair compromise given the entirety of the AP system.

As others have said, there is a huge difference between 20 and 35. Given the value of the 36-54 traits, it's still a pretty long climb if you're wanted to do more difficult content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxz View Post

never post here again until you're artifact 54 on your main spec and ilvl 900.

see you never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I'm almost happy with alts. Just need flying and heirlooms in the broken shore and it'll be as good as it's going to get outside of some huge exp-granting event like the pre patch.

Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    never post here again until you're artifact 54 on your main spec and ilvl 900.

see you never.
    Harsh, but I agree with the sentiment. Come back when you're ready for raiding NH heroic. Getting geared up enough to do lfr and world quests shouldn't be hard