Draught of Souls Bug/Delay

Using consolidated log information from a number of users, I discovered an issue a few days ago which some of you might have seen reported on forums and Twitter.

As we know, Draught is on the GCD now, and like any GCD can't be activated until the previous GCD is over. Normal abilities can be queued ahead of time, allowing you to play slightly ahead of the GCD to mitigate downtime caused by latency (see: custom lag tolerance). However, items cannot, leaving you at the mercy of your latency, creating a delay between abilities cast immediately before and after Draught of Souls.

Being unable to queue Draught means you have to wait until the server has acknowledged that your previous action is completed and its GCD is up before the game will allow you to use the trinket on your end, which then requires your client to send that information back to the server saying you're using the item and wait for it to return a confirmation. The whole round trip typically eats anywhere from 100-200ms, plus or minus a few dozen depending on your latency. This happens both before using Draught, and before the next GCD following Draught as well, creating a total of ~200-400ms (0.2-0.4s) of wasted time during Battle Cry.

Unfortunately this is an engineering issue, so it's extremely unlikely to be changed, and simply something you have to live with. I've already had a new version of SimC uploaded which replicates these delays, which is why some of you might have noticed that downloading one of the newest builds resulted in a seemingly random loss of ~20k dps with the trinket. Despite this, it's still the best single target trinket for Fury, just not by as large of a margin as before.

TLDR:
    • There's a 100-200ms delay before and after activating Draught of Souls.
    • There's nothing you can do about it.
    • It's still the best trinket.
    • SimC accounts for it.

For more information on how to correctly use Draught of Souls, see the Arms and Fury guides pinned at the top of this forum.

Is this an issue because of Blizzard putting it on GCD or how they put it on GCD?
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

If having it on the GCD causes this issue and having it off the GCD makes it signifcantly stronger why can't blizzard remove it from the GCD while reducing it's damage for classes with a large benefit from it being off the GCD? They've proven that they are willing to with the CoF trinket why not this one?

Seems like there's your fix to make everyone happy because I can see how this would feel aweful even though I don't have the trinket. Of course being able to add it to the lag tolerence queue would also be a fix but as you've pointed out it may be impossible or too time consuming. While this may be time consuming it's not impossible.

I would rather like to have dmg reduced, feeling of rotation with this bug is horrible...

Deleted
    Thanks for explaining this. I already observed it too, but i wasnt sure why it happens.

Deleted
    Thank you for doing the hard work for us lazy peons! *thumbsup*

any word on the CD bug on this trinket?

I've heard that it's meant to be 1:20, but on US servers it's 2:00.

Does blizzard know about this?

Is it actually currently functioning that way? If so, what is the intended CD?

Quote Originally Posted by ridonc View Post

That's a completely separate, and well-documented bug. It's intended to be 1:20.

10+ Year Old Account
    By the time I get my hands on this damn trinket it'll be throw-away... guaranteed nerfed into the ground before Gul'dan LFR releases. Got "vendor trash" out of my Timewalker bag and Order Hall mission bag.

They probably gave it the Rampage treatment to prevent "breaking it" under normal circumstances. Such an awful coded ability that punishes you for using stopcast/channel macros. Why does a trinket that doesn't scale with haste provide it? Might as well remove the secondary stat entirely and make the trinket behave better as compensation.

Activate Item Cooldown(0ms)>Start Disable Character Function(0.1)>Start Effect(0.2)>End Effect(3.2)>End Disable Character Function(3.3).

It's already a copy of DH Fel Barrage. Might as well just copy-paste the code from it instead of trying to code it in the most un-fun away possible.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2017-01-30 at 04:59 AM. Reason: math iis a sometimes food
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    By the time I get my hands on this damn trinket it'll be throw-away... guaranteed nerfed into the ground before Gul'dan LFR releases. Got "vendor trash" out of my Timewalker bag and Order Hall mission bag.

They probably gave it the Rampage treatment to prevent "breaking it" under normal circumstances. Such an awful coded ability that punishes you for using stopcast/channel macros. Why does a trinket that doesn't scale with haste provide it? Might as well remove the secondary stat entirely and make the trinket behave better as compensation.

Activate Item Cooldown(0ms)>Start Disable Character Function(0.1)>Start Effect(0.2)>End Effect(3.3)>End Disable Character Function(3.4).
    Let's not get apocalyptic here.

It's still the best trinket by a wide margin, and it isn't any worse now than it was after the GCD change; this post isn't revealing any new nerfs, it's just informing the public as to how it actually works and explaining the reason why some players were questioning why downloading a new version of SimC led to lower than expected DPS while using it, due to the need of replicating this issue inside the program.

There's no need for Blizzard-bashing or pity-parties. It's still an obscenely powerful trinket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ridonc View Post

Delete your cache. It worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    Delete your cache. It worked for me.
    That's a potential stopgap, but not a complete solution. Multiple sources have reported bug returning, and for some deleting the cache is not clearing it to begin with.

Wow, I just cleared my cache and my trinket is no longer on a 2min cooldown. I've been playing with 2min cd on DOS for the past 3-4 days. I thought that the trinket got stealth nerfed to 2mins..

gonna quit this fucking game becouse now blizzard punish me to play with 200ms even more

Quote Originally Posted by orgonutil View Post
    gonna quit this fucking game becouse now blizzard punish me to play with 200ms even more
    Cool, can I have your Draught?

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Since DOS is now on GCD, anyone tried a different opener?

BC AVA + BT + OF + DOS + RB + RMPG?

I know this rage caps but has anyone tried this?
    I was just thinking about this opener since RMPG has weird 1.5 channel time.
    gives more time for OF tick to proc and DOS all inside BC

I dont know...does rampage give more DPS inside BC?
    I'll try this tonight on a dummy
    Last edited by Stratics; 2017-02-02 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratics View Post
    Since DOS is now on GCD, anyone tried a different opener?

BC AVA + BT + OF + DOS + RB + RMPG?

I know this rage caps but has anyone tried this?
    I was just thinking about this opener since RMPG has weird 1.5 channel time.
    gives more time for OF tick to proc and DOS all inside BC

I dont know...does rampage give more DPS inside BC?
    I'll try this tonight on a dummy
    Two flaws:

1) BT on the opener delays rage expenditure/generation and lowers overall Frothing uptime.
    2) DoS at the middle/end of the burst phase causes it to drop out of Frothing.

There's really just no gain to using Draught later rather than sooner. The only reason Arms does it at the end is to maximize Corrupted Blood use. See the guides linked at the top of the forum for more information on the optimal rotations.

Deleted
    Hey,
    there will be a Q&A with Blizzard Devs on February the 23rd. I hope we can get an answer regarding the Bug/Delay there.

Since I do not own a US character I had to make a tweet:
    https://twitter.com/Bughosh21/status/833076340811259904

Feel free to like it if you would like to have this question answered too.
    Thanks for your support.