View Poll Results: Do you know what a "spittoon" is without looking it up?

Voters
43. This poll is closed
  • Yes

38 88.37%
  • No

5 11.63%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question for the english speaking people.

Sup guys,

I have a question for people with english as their primary language.

I'm currently writing several text scenes for a project, one of which includes a girl finding a spittoon at a dead mans body. (Don't ask, just roll with it.)
    My question now is - do you guys instantly know what a spittoon is? And I'm serious here, I know there are words in my language that I've never heard of.
    But I need to know this so that I can see if I can keep using a spittoon or maybe come up with something different.

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea what a spittoon is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    No idea what a spittoon is.
    It's one of those brass cans you see in Westerns that people spit their chewing tobacco into. There's also that scene in Back To The Future 3 where Marty jumps on the loose floorboard and the spittoon dumps all over Mad Dog Tannen.

Most who read on a regular basis should have come across this word at least once, but you may want to just call it a bucket, just to be safe.

Or fuck it, make them look that shit up, sprinkle that bitch all over your project- spice it up. A 'lil bit 'a knowledge ne'er hurt nobody.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2017-01-29 at 10:26 PM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew what it was, but Im also form Texas where that's been a historical thing here.

So if You're form the Western US you may know of it. ANywhere else is like to go "what?"

Deleted
    Yeah I knew what a spitoon was

Deleted
    I didn't immediately know what it was. I'd known but forgotten. But don't feel the need to dumb down your language for your audience. Teach them a new word. It's not like you're being pretentously flowery, you're using the correct terminology.

It's hard to say whether I just know that because I've read enough older books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know what one is, but they're generally something from the past: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spittoon

While spittoons are still made, they are no longer commonly found in public places. There are a few companies that currently make spittoons for users of smokeless tobacco, such as Mud Bud, Mud Jug and Spitbud. A rare profession which commonly uses spittoons is that of wine taster. A wine taster will sip samples of wine and then spit them into a spittoon in order to avoid alcohol intoxication.[6]

Spittoons remained in use in the Southern United States in public buildings at least until the 1970s. For example, the Georgia Capitol Museum in the Georgia Capitol Building in Atlanta, Georgia has on display a spittoon of the type that was used in legislative sessions into the 1970s.

The United States Senate also has spittoons spread across the Senate Chamber as they are considered a Senate tradition.[7] Similarly, each Justice on the United States Supreme Court has a spittoon next to his or her seat in the courtroom. However, the spittoons function merely as wastebaskets; the last time the spittoon was used for its customary purpose was in the early 20th century.[8]
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

If it's in the context of a Western, the people who are interested in that sort of thing would know what it is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes. It's freaking gross and something I never want to see IRL but I know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    It's one of those brass cans you see in Westerns that people spit their chewing tobacco into. There's also that scene in Back To The Future 3 where Marty jumps on the loose floorboard and the spittoon dumps all over Mad Dog Tannen.

I knew that. And I'm not even a native speaker.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

You know there's even one as a toy in wow? It's the thing you click on that goes ping ping ping. But ya, gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Errr. I didn't know that. I recognize the word from Western movies and I've heard it before, but I didn't realize what it was. I actually thought it was the names of the bars that cowboys went too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Errr. I didn't know that. I recognize the word from Western movies and I've heard it before, but I didn't realize what it was. I actually thought it was the names of the bars that cowboys went too.
    those are called saloons.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    While not a word in common usage these days, the majority of people should recognize it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind, you shouldn't not use words because some people may not know what they mean. The onus of comprehension is on the individual.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Appears it is a useless word.

Keep in mind, as I don't know the context behind the scene, although a large amount of readers would know what a splitoon was when mentioned few people would kknow something was a splitoon if they came across one next to a dead mans body. (unless it's set in a western)
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

As soon as I read I could somehow relate it to the buckets in wild west movies. Spit + on. Then again, It is my experience with watching too many of those movies. A regular person might understand it is something you spit but in today's daily life, it would sound absurd I think.