Deleted

Profession switching

Hello everyone,

First of all I played this game since late vanilla. I have been a holy paladin all this time. I never made any alt but I am a collector (like so many). I don't get my kicks from mythic progression, I get it from scouting the old lands for transmogs, achievements, pets, toys, anything that "ticks off a box".

Now, I have been enchanter for as far as I can remember. I don't think I ever since I started playing dropped this profession. My second profession has been whatever gets me something (like a mount or pet or anything collectable really).

Now, each time you switch professions you unlearn your recipes. (I have no idea why from a lore standpoint) but from a gameplay perspective this is devestating, especially for a collector. It means I can only ever strive to have Enchanting as "done".

Why not let us keep all recipes? Meaning, if you switch back later to a previously dropped profession you still "remember" what you knew from that profession.

Now the reason for this I think is that they didn't want you to change professions nilly willy every other day. But there are other means of achieving this. You already start back at level1 (which is fine).

They could also add a cooldown of a week or even a month. So you can only switch once a week or once a month. But keeping the recipes would allow you to over time at least try and get all the recipes for all the professions. And is that really a bad thing? Especially with the level reset and a cooldown added to prevent abuse?

The difficulty is the varied means by which the recipes are obtained.
    With Legion came a vendor-bought consumable that upon relearning a profession you had previously would restore Legion quest reward recipes that you completed, as the quest progress is still valid with a change in professions.

With the catchup mechanics present a skill level reset doesn't mean what it once did.

I think there is potential for a profession transfer, as an account-service.
    Which given the mess of the more varied acquisitions, the mechanisms already in place for faction or server transfers seem a better fit for.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

This is because how professions are coded within the character. You have a set amount of bytes for one profession and the same amount for 2nd profession. Once you unlearn one, the bytes gets cleared and your recipes are no more saved anywhere.
    Even in legion you can relearn only recipes awarded with quests, because quest flags are bound to character.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbac View Post
    This is because how professions are coded within the character. You have a set amount of bytes for one profession and the same amount for 2nd profession. Once you unlearn one, the bytes gets cleared and your recipes are no more saved anywhere.
    Even in legion you can relearn only recipes awarded with quests, because quest flags are bound to character.
    Can't be to hard to change this however... basically it would need to change to a "achievement" like system. Where you 'unlock' a recipe once it is 'unlocked' for that character forever. So when you relearn your profession it knows what you have unlocked.

And how you can know how hard it can be? People already said some small things are harder to do than some big additions because of the code/engine.