Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Unhappy Love 'alts' Now Hate 'alts'

Ever since WoW opened its doors Europe side and I have been enjoying 'alt' part of the game. I also enjoy PvE/PvP/Questing but 'alts' add a special kind of joy that I am sure many understand. Legion comes around and I just can't get myself to play 'alts.' Even with the new 'start at AK 20' I just find myself feeling super let down inside even before I start a new level 1 .. completely knowing of the horrendously not-fun GRIND for Artifact Power ahead ..

Fun is subjective so 'logic' has little to do with it, logic like 'why do you care f you ever max out +35 or not, its an alt right?" Well for whatever reason that fact kills it for me. Before Legion I knew completely that my alts would not raid BUT I would always deck them out in latest crafted/PvP/Heroic gear and update them as needed. Now, not only do I need to do the same (all be it PvP moved from gear to talents) BUT I need to do the same WQ over all 'alts' which is just too much for my sanity ..

You see, its not the +35 per say, I do that on my main every day and one alt also every day. Its there's no way I can do that on all alts so I simply log off after finishing on main ... The 'alt' joy-gaming-experiance has been greatly diminished ... You?

7+ Year Old Account
    Good for you.

I am alting as I was before. I don't see why you think you are limited by AP gains.

Besides those alts I actively do at least a few m+ per weeks most just get to do the emissionary quests when they are quickly to do. And now even those alts are reaching 35 (for example http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/blackhand/Vadash or http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte.../Nundil/simple).
    Just get them to max level, and play them when you feel like it. I don't see a big difference, especially now where one aspect of progression - the initial gear - is significantly reduced in effort by doing WQs. You don't even need to "waste" time going LFR or LFD as you might have done in previous expansions.

Deleted
    It literaly takes nothing to get 35 when you start at 20, just wait a few days, hit around 23, then start suramar quest and you will have tons upon tons of ap.

Deleted
    im more annoyed by damn quest chains (nightfallen, mostly and artifact chain - btw these give also lots of AP power at the end, specially at 20+ AK).. than AP power.

Deleted
    The problem i see here is the mentality that was bred in WoD;
    "My alts should be able to instantly catch up to my main by just hitting level 110"

They already gave you instant AK20... what else do you want?
    You really don't have to do all of the WQs on all alts... You can do quests ABCD on one, BDEF on another and so on. If you think you absolutely have to do all of them on all then you might be having a disorder and i recommend you to have it checked.

I got 2 alts i barely play on 110:
    - Hunter with a 31 BM weapon and 30 survival weapon
    - DH with a 32 weapon

If i could get them this far by only logging on them once a week and doing some emisarys... then you as an alt-er should have no issues at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    I was in the same position as OP when Legion was a few months in. I felt the amount of work needed to keep AP going with an alt was very and for some1 who does not want to use their alts for raiding, i found some very little need to go and do all the AP stuff.

That changed with the automatic lvl 20 AK. I got all 3 gold traits on my first day of lvl 110........ After 3 days, i got lvl 33 and soon to be 35. I have no longer a problem with AP when it comes to alts, and i don't understand why OP feels this way. You can pretty much gain all the needed AP for lvl 35 in your gearing process, and getting up to max AK takes only several weeks now. It has becomed an much easier process then before.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    So basically you are saying that you LOVE to have alts, but actually hate to put any effort into them.

You should ask yourself: Why do you LOVE alts? Is it because you don't really want to do endgame content (raid, m+, pvp) with your main? If so, then you should be absolutely happy: You finally have unending, 24/7 content that you never run out of. If you do. Get another alt.

The alternative would be that you would come here and post: I've got 10 alts at lvl 110, decked them out in max ilvl, what to do now?

It's interesting how a few meaningless numbers can completely disrupt the WoW players' mind. It fascinates me. Absolutely no autonomy, no ability to assume responsibilty for one's own actions, motivations or time management. It blows my mind that people are really like this - fully externally controlled, and incredibly limited by what essentially is nothing but a phantasm in their heads.

Just think about it. I like playing alts but now an invisible power is keeping me from playing alts because of some completely irrelevant, at this point still hypotethic standard that I've set for myself that ultimately doesn't even really have an effect on me enjoying playing alts ... DUDE, free your mind, and all that! It's ridiculous.

Hm, no problem. I just started leveling my alts again and the leveling part is what I like most. When they're 110 I don't really know what to do with them I don't raid or PvP, so I don't care about AP on alts at all (my main is 35), but with the AK20 headstart filling a weapon goes superfast anyway.

Nah. Nothing new. I play my main while there's stuff to do on my main, then focus on an alt till he's caught up, then focus on the next alt. In WoD that meant focusing each alt until they maxed their legendary ring. In Legion it's until they have 54 ranks in MS artifact.

If anything is different, it's that Legion keeps me focused on each one a bit longer, because there's more to do. That's not a bad thing.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I really dislike about alts, are the skins 4 artifacts. If Blizz really take those skins away after Legion, then u need to go for it if u want to have it then, but doing 200 wq + 100 dng + pvp for every char + min. normal raids and quests seems a lil bit too much (imo). The wq + dng av should be accountwide, pvp I dont mind about 1000Kills. Maybe Blizz will make it easier in the future, cant say. I guess 50 dng + 100 wq would be much better.
    I love playin alts, but if u want those skins with every class, first u need a hidden skin. If u re unlucky and dont get one, u just do dng and wq for nothing, if u have everything else. If u want every Skin with every class its really really much work. 1200 dng + 2400 wq. For more or less a casual its quite hard.
    If u play 8 hours a day, then maybe not, but what a life is that xD Just my feelings

Quote Originally Posted by yango View Post
    The only thing I really dislike about alts, are the skins 4 artifacts. If Blizz really take those skins away after Legion, then u need to go for it if u want to have it then, but doing 200 wq + 100 dng + pvp for every char + min. normal raids and quests seems a lil bit too much (imo). The wq + dng av should be accountwide, pvp I dont mind about 1000Kills. Maybe Blizz will make it easier in the future, cant say. I guess 50 dng + 100 wq would be much better.
    I love playin alts, but if u want those skins with every class, first u need a hidden skin. If u re unlucky and dont get one, u just do dng and wq for nothing, if u have everything else. If u want every Skin with every class its really really much work. 1200 dng + 2400 wq. For more or less a casual its quite hard.
    If u play 8 hours a day, then maybe not, but what a life is that xD Just my feelings
    Yes, if you want to have all skins, you have to do whatever it takes to get them. But why would you want to have them all? Are they all so much prettier that you can't imagine going through WoW on an alt with the transmog you have now (or ones you will get in the future)? I can't imagine. It's just a little voice in your head that makes you think you need them, because they will be gone in the future. Just that. The need to have it because you fear regretting not getting them when they are gone. Get over that. Get a skin on an alt you play a lot that fits perfectly with your favorite transmog and let go of the idea you need to get them all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like all the other expanses, I am loving my alts. they aren't struck to be like the main, but I run with two mains in general. And always time to have fun leveling alts.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

AP is not a problem at all IMHO, When you hit lvl110 you can literally have 3 gold traits in a couple of hours or even less. Personally, I think actually the leveling part is the most tedious. The 100-110 lvling zones are GREAT, but doing them over and over is bad and I can imagine gearing up can be annoying too now if you do not have the gold for obliterum (many people now require 860+ for normal mythic dungeons. At the beginning of Legion ppl would do these with ilvl815-820 and a bit later with 830-840)

Deleted
    Before Legion launch i had all classes at 110 since in WoD there was a real incentive to have them (gold from garrisons).
    I find Legion leveling to be horribly dull and there's little reason to have more than 3-4 110s at best. Oh well, more time to play other games i guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    You see, its not the +35 per say, I do that on my main every day and one alt also every day. Its there's no way I can do that on all alts so I simply log off after finishing on main ... The 'alt' joy-gaming-experiance has been greatly diminished ... You?
    i wonder how do you play your game - i started to put ap from class hall missions done via mobile ap into my mains OS the moment i got ak 25 and 35 traits in ms - at its already 34 traits ONLY from doin mobile app eveyr day - i relly wonder how people can claim that geting ap on alts is hard when with ak 25 you shoudl be geting 1-1,5 mln ap each day just from playing damn game

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Personally, I think actually the leveling part is the most tedious.
    for me too but what i found helps is sending resoures from main (thank you bloods) and doin mobile app - if you are not in hurry and leveling several alts at the same time slowly swaping from them often class hall should easily give you 0,5-1 lv from missions (if not more if you level really slowly)

This is the first time I have ever had all classes max level, not counting the boosts and invasion power leveling I did to get them all to 100 in prep for Legion. With the patch, all of them are at AK 25 and all have 3 gold talents now. Most of them had more legendaries than my main up until recently. All of them can enter raids if I wanted them to. All of this without playing every day. For me this has been the best expansion for alts since Cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Yes, if you want to have all skins, you have to do whatever it takes to get them. But why would you want to have them all? Are they all so much prettier that you can't imagine going through WoW on an alt with the transmog you have now (or ones you will get in the future)? I can't imagine. It's just a little voice in your head that makes you think you need them, because they will be gone in the future. Just that. The need to have it because you fear regretting not getting them when they are gone. Get over that. Get a skin on an alt you play a lot that fits perfectly with your favorite transmog and let go of the idea you need to get them all.
    Jeah, I dont want every Skin, I m expecting not having all classes at 110, so I dont care that much, but if u overthink it, its just really much time u have to invest in your alts, if u want some things, its not what I have to do ingame, its just the amount of time this add on u need to put in for just 1 Skin.
    In the end, its better to do 200 wq, instead of farming an instance, cause it can drop and u get unlucky and maybe it will never drop ^^
    Cant think back to old addons, where u have to invest so much time xD

Like I said, the most annoying thing about this is, that u need a hidden skin first, before u can go for colours. Thats the only thing thats really fuked up.
    And then maybe u have to do wq with a specc u dont like ^^ and if u dont have fun with this specc, it can be really hard.
    Hope they will lower the AV or make it accountwide.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    OK .......I guess. Everybody has a different tolerance for different things. Especially with the AK catchup I find them back in a spot where they were pre-Legion.

To me it is more getting used to all the specc changes on my alts (they are not at lv 1, but 100). But really....1-110 is more "tedious" then grinding out some AP.

I have 6 characters at lv 110 and am now taking a small break from levelling the next. Hell, there are still 12+ more months in Legion...and I haven't even looked into my DH

Totally understanding that - but with everything as a collector, be it stamps, crisp bags or move toys you may go insane ways depending how compulsory you are.

I love some of the skins but have given up on them from the start. It is just too overwhelming
    Pretty much only going for the the hidden ones on all the classes. I have no interest in completing the balance of power stuff more than once. Almost there there though, I have not ever seen that Fury quest in the OH, and I still need the chest at the end of the withered training for the couple others. Oh and the class mounts.