Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How come people drive slow in the far left lane on the highway?

This seems to happen a lot on Fridays ... for some reason a bunch of people like to turn into road justice warriors and drive 100 km/hr on the highway while wedging themselves in between 2 cars in the other lanes which ends up cucking the entire left lane and slowing everyone down. Why do people do this? what is the rationale?

Just for normal people, 100 km/h is about 62 mph.

And that's life. It's like asking why people don't signal turns or lane changes, or can't park between the lines, or don't turn their lights on in rainy weather, etc.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause they're preemptively getting ready to pass someone up far ahead of them while not actually increasing their speed by much. I always get stuck behind some dick in the left lane going 61mph when the guy they're trying to pass is 300-400ft ahead and driving 60mph

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Cause they're preemptively getting ready to pass someone up far ahead of them while not actually increasing their speed by much. I always get stuck behind some dick in the left lane going 61mph when the guy they're trying to pass is 300-400ft ahead and driving 60mph
    Hate that. My state fortunately allows temporary speeding while passing, so long as you're back to the speed limit in a reasonable time. Of course, people still do what you described. Simple math folks, your velocity difference is 1mph. That means it takes 6 minutes to gain a tenth of a mile on the guy. Ugh.

I assume it's to balance out the jackasses in pickups that tailgate people because they want to go 35 over the speed limit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only do that when I know I have to turn off onto another highway in a few miles, and the exit is a left lane exit. Sorry dudes!

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Serenity View Post
    I only do that when I know I have to turn off onto another highway in a few miles, and the exit is a left lane exit. Sorry dudes!
    So long as you're driving the speed limit (or whatever is reasonable for the road conditions and traffic)!

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    This seems to happen a lot on Fridays ... for some reason a bunch of people like to turn into road justice warriors and drive 100 km/hr on the highway while wedging themselves in between 2 cars in the other lanes which ends up cucking the entire left lane and slowing everyone down. Why do people do this? what is the rationale?
    See, this is a problem we don't have in Germany. I have no clue what you're talking about. God, I love driving here... :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    So long as you're driving the speed limit (or whatever is reasonable for the road conditions and traffic)!
    yeah, 60 - 65 in a 60, 70 - 75 in a 70. I mean that probably annoys some speeders, but when I need to use a eft turn exit and I dont like moving over at the last minute, their concerns are meaningless

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    So you think it's ok to put around in the passing lane? When some asshole does that I eventually cut them off and slam on my brakes. Have consideration for other people. If there's someone behind you, get out of the left lane. I really wish American police would ticket those who drive in the left lane.
    My state does. Bring it up with your cities and counties.

Sometimes I get bored driving. It's funny watching people lose their minds in the rear view mirror. When they finally get the chance to go around me they flip me off so I wave at them.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

yeah, 60 - 65 in a 60, 70 - 75 in a 70. I mean that probably annoys some speeders, but when I need to use a eft turn exit and I dont like moving over at the last minute, their concerns are meaningless
    Not sure where the OP is referencing, but I've normally had it happen on the open interstates. I enjoyed it when one of the states passed a keep right, except to pass law. No idea how many tickets they actually give out, but it did seem to help to keep people out of the left lane.

Hate that. My state fortunately allows temporary speeding while passing, so long as you're back to the speed limit in a reasonable time. Of course, people still do what you described. Simple math folks, your velocity difference is 1mph. That means it takes 6 minutes to gain a tenth of a mile on the guy. Ugh.
    That reminds me of that one death in Deadpool for some reason. "Tell me where your fucking boss is! Or you're gonna die! In five minutes!"

As for the topic: At least it's mildly better than speeding in the left lane. And I do not mean temporarily speed just to pass. No I mean "going 100+ MPH in a 75MPH zone." Which happened once when I was out on a drive. The guy zoomed past everyone, few minutes later, same car is on the side of the road after being pulled over by a state trooper.

Karma in action folks.
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2017-02-01 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    The guy zoomed past everyone, few minutes later, same car is on the side of the road after being pulled over by a state trooper.

Karma in action folks.
    lol. I was driving in a blizzard once. One of those terrible ones where I'm pretty much just going by the glow of the tail lights of the car ahead of me, hoping he isn't leading me off the road. Then, of course, some super badass in a big bad pickup goes hauling by in the left lane, kicking up snow to blind everyone on the way by. Yeah, saw him in facing backwards crashed into the median a couple miles up. Karma, bitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol. I was driving in a blizzard once. One of those terrible ones where I'm pretty much just going by the glow of the tail lights of the car ahead of me, hoping he isn't leading me off the road. Then, of course, some super badass in a big bad pickup goes hauling by in the left lane, kicking up snow to blind everyone on the way by. Yeah, saw him in facing backwards crashed into the median a couple miles up. Karma, bitch.
    I may be a Texan, but even I know thats a bad idea

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is not driving slow in the left lane. The extreme radical speeders have no valid reason to complain when you do.

I may be a Texan, but even I know thats a bad idea
    even more lol.

One time I got pulled over in Texas. Trooper said it was unsafe to drive due to the "blizzard." There was maybe an inch of snow. I just asked him to look at my license and license plate. He sent me on my way, and recommended a 24 hour diner about 20 miles up in case wanted to wait out the "blizzard."

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    See, this is a problem we don't have in Germany. I have no clue what you're talking about. God, I love driving here... :P
    Yup. Driving in Germany is awesome, i often take detours just to drive through your country if it's possible hehe.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

If I'm doing the speed limit in the left lane and you're riding my ass then guess what?

I'm not driving slow ...you're driving fast.

Self driving cars are a godsend and I cant wait till they're the norm.

I'd say half out of all people, or more, really have no business operating a car themselves.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN