Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Norms rely on:
    1. Community 2. Members who will enforce the norms (calling out) 3. their rational usefulness (I recently was in Sweden and while they adapted to right-hand traffic on walkway they are still left-handed).

Norms always adapt and the most complicated thing might be that abnormal behavior - me in Sweden walking slow@right for example) is still normalized because I was identified as foreigner. Same with youngsters who strife for autonomy etc etc.

I don't think there's much today that will be considered "reprehensible" in the future. At least not from what's common in 1st world countries.

A lot of people are saying religion. Although religion seems to be steadily declining, I doubt it will ever disappear completely. And people in the future finding our common religious practices as "reprehensible" seems very unlikely. Prayer, for example, is probably the most common thing among different religions. All it is is basically making a wish. It's basically just contemplating good things that you wish would happen and things that you're grateful for. How could that ever be considered reprehensible? Now if you're talking about murdering people in the name of your God, well that's different. But that's also already considered reprehensible.

Also, the only thing that has really changed much in recent history is technology. This isn't the first time in history where society in general has accepted open homosexuality.

And eating meat? Fuck off with that. As if killing animals for meat is such a terrible thing. Find me something that tastes as good as the perfect medium-rare sous vide steak I made the other night that isn't meat and maybe I'll change my mind.

Profit driven healthcare.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cooking your own food? How barbaric. Just let your oven/future cooking tech do the work itself.
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    meat industry and eating meat in general
    I could see the commercialized meat industry going by the wayside, but not meat eating in general (farm raised, etc.). We are omnivores by nature so the vegetarian/vegan thing is more a fad than a reality.

But definitely the meat industry.

Deleted
    That we see cults with big following as religion and because of that we need to respect them with there twisted lifestyles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Probably religion. As education advances and elementary students are taught the same science classes we took in highschool, the few remaining children will question the religion that is taught by their parents.

I find it rare for children of non-religious families becoming religious themselves. It's usually the other way around.
    My in-laws church is dying and they can not grasp why. The average age of a participant is over 55.

I told them young people do not go to church anymore.
    They keep trying to be hip and change with the times, but nobody shows up.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on how far in the future we're talking.

Culture makes predictions malleable, and as our ability to edit our bodies and minds increases we will become more susceptible to cultural shifts inducing permanent changes in humanity - probably for worse rather than better, in my opinion and judging by past cultural shifts which are often rapid.

In light of this I would say that it's currently not possible to make accurate predictions. If we maintain our adherence to human nature, however, I think predictions could be made.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Women earning less pay than men.

Non-existent parental leave for men, shitty leave for women (although that's more of a U.S. thing than a global thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Alopex View Post
    Cooking your own food? How barbaric. Just let your oven/future cooking tech do the work itself.
    What happens when the EMP goes off?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Women earning less pay than men.

Non-existent parental leave for men, shitty leave for women (although that's more of a U.S. thing than a global thing).
    On the other hand, we might laugh at our stupidity over consistently considering unequal outcomes to be the result of unequal opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I could see the commercialized meat industry going by the wayside, but not meat eating in general (farm raised, etc.). We are omnivores by nature so the vegetarian/vegan thing is more a fad than a reality.

But definitely the meat industry.
    Well there are scientists hard at work making plant based proteins and meat substitutes.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    I don't think there's much today that will be considered "reprehensible" in the future. At least not from what's common in 1st world countries.

A lot of people are saying religion. Although religion seems to be steadily declining, I doubt it will ever disappear completely. And people in the future finding our common religious practices as "reprehensible" seems very unlikely. Prayer, for example, is probably the most common thing among different religions. All it is is basically making a wish. It's basically just contemplating good things that you wish would happen and things that you're grateful for. How could that ever be considered reprehensible? Now if you're talking about murdering people in the name of your God, well that's different. But that's also already considered reprehensible.
    My perspective on this is within the circle of people that I am familiar with; prayer replaces the actual action of assisting those in need.

Obviously this isn't some steadfast rule, just simply that I see it happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    On the other hand, we might laugh at our stupidity over consistently considering unequal outcomes to be the result of unequal opportunities.
    Maybe someday
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    My perspective on this is within the circle of people that I am familiar with; prayer replaces the actual action of assisting those in need.

Obviously this isn't some steadfast rule, just simply that I see it happening.
    I could see that happening in some cases, but I think in most cases thinking on what you want to happen is going to make it more likely to happen. And being grateful for what you have is just going to make you a mentally healthier and happier person.

I won't go as far as to say reprehensible, but I suspect that marriage and monogamy in general will eventually be seen as a massive infringement on personal freedom, and practiced by a very small minority of the population.

Medical science will render disease a non-factor, and universal guaranteed income will negate the financial requirement of pairing.

I base my opinion on the general trend of change in how society views these things over the last several decades. At one time, divorce was seen as shameful, it is now the most likely outcome. The number of people who choose not to marry or prefer short term / fluid relationship situations is growing steadily. Infidelity is extremely common now based on any studies I've read. The number of registered "Sugar Babies" at a local university has just risen over 400%. I think that, as a society, we only like rules when they don't restrict us from doing what we personally want, and what a lot of us want to do is... whoever we damn well please. I feel like the writing is on the wall, and the only question is how long it will take.
    Last edited by Malmmoc; 2017-02-01 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailswipe View Post
    Women without hijabs and men without beards.
    What's wrong with a beard.

Quit playing for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    meat industry and eating meat in general
    Can't see it happening. We've already (and by already decades ago) have sufficient evidence to show plants, trees, grass etc (Including roots, veg and fruit) absolutely do feel pain and react to external stimuli. While I can see factory farming rightfully being condemned because those places are torture. Meat eating I can't see it unless everything we eat is man made involving no life harmed.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Religion i'd say will be the biggest one in the next hundred years or so.

I'd say borders if you asked me a couple of month ago, but now I think it would be rationality.