Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Democratic Obstructionism in Senate is going to end BADLY for them

In some respects it already has.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...er-dem-boycott

Senate Republicans pushed through a pair of President Trump’s Cabinet nominees Wednesday, upending standard committee rules to circumvent a Democratic boycott.

The Senate Finance Committee advanced a pair of Trump’s nominees with only Republican members present — Steven Mnuchin to head the Treasury Department, and Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.) as secretary of Health and Human Services.

By unanimous consent, the Republicans gathered in the hearing room agreed to change the committee’s standing rules, which normally require at least one member of each party to be in attendance for committee work to proceed.
    It seems McConnell has had enough of Schumer's crap at dragging out things for the sake of appealing the crazies on the left, and before anyone thinks that Schumer bending over for the far left is a good thing I'd like to point out what the outcome of doing precisely this in Britain has been.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...n#Poll_results

As in the Torries are bound to decimate Labor, and yet Jeremy Corbyn, a so called moderate like Schumer bending over to left wing crazies is going to get his party destroyed.

Regardless of what you think of Trump there's a real damned risk this whole game is going to explode in the face of the Democrats. If you don't pass things you don't have any accomplishments and people will string you up for that.

I was really hoping that the Republicans wouldn't end up doing this. It's contrary to every damned thing a democracy should be: Actual debate and discussion not crazy obstructionism.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2017-02-01 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's important to understand that two political groups are currently using the divide between them to push things they wouldn't - and shouldn't - normally do.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

7+ Year Old Account
    As a non-American if we have to go through another Federal Government shutdown with the world economy tethering on the brink because of America's insane partisanship we'll start chucking bricks in your faces, and by we I mean the rest of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. As far as winning the EC vote and just getting power all you need to do is do exactly what the Republicans did for 8 years. Spread lies and disinformation and then when the next election comes around swoop it all up. Popularity is not required to hold power in this country.

Before you righties get your panties in a twist I'm not saying that's what they should do but if that's the route Democrats want to take it has been shown to be very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    As a non-American if we have to go through another Federal Government shutdown with the world economy tethering on the brink because of America's insane partisanship we'll start chucking bricks in your faces, and by we I mean the rest of the world.
    Don't meet our silliness with violence. Why not offer hugs instead?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Not really. As far as winning the EC vote and just getting power all you need to do is do exactly what the Republicans did for 8 years. Spread lies and disinformation and then when the next election comes around swoop it all up. Popularity is not required to hold power in this country.

Before you righties get your panties in a twist I'm not saying that's what they should do but if that's the route Democrats want to take it has been shown to be very effective.
    It won't work very well for them. Not in 2018 where there's a great deal of vulnerable Democrats. I personally think it would be a disaster for the US and the world if the Republicans gain complete dominance of the US....I mean they already have I guess but still there need to be two parties, not just one.

You didn't have bricks for 8 years of republicans doing it so not really a valid threat.

It won't work very well for them. Not in 2018 where there's a great deal of vulnerable Democrats. I personally think it would be a disaster for the US and the world if the Republicans gain complete dominance of the US....I mean they already have I guess but still there need to be two parties, not just one.
    Democrats need a purge those without backbones can go, we don't need republican lite.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the republicans fail to MAGA in 2 years I can easily see people getting frustrated with the Republican party. These people don't think long term, they want short term solutions and instant gratification. I think Democrats will be fine either way but personally I'd love it if they furthered their popularity and expanded their message. Less focus on corporate interests etc.

Either way the pendulum is going to swing back. It's not even a question of if it's just when.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    It's important to understand that two political groups are currently using the divide between them to push things they wouldn't - and shouldn't - normally do.
    Also, I'd like to point out the irony of complaining about opposition in the first few weeks of a Presidency, when the Republicans have essentially been refusing to play ball for the last 8 years, for the most part. Remember when they refused to even consider Garland for the SCOTUS position, even though Garland was a moderate who'd been lauded by both political sides during his career?

Frankly, if the Democrats didn't return in kind, that would be a losing strategy. This isn't about winning in the short term, it's about doing everything you can to oppose the rubber-stamp behaviour and bring the Republicans towards the middle, where something can actually get done. "Compromise" doesn't mean you get your way. It means NEITHER of you get your way. You get a solution you're both equally unhappy with.

Complaining when you try to push a highly partisan agenda and don't get support from the opposition is ridiculous. You want their support? Compromise.*

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Republicans were obstructionist for the last eight years and it seemed to work fine for them....shrug.
    And NOBODY from their side had any problem doing it.

Fucking hypocrites.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope the democrats are at least willing to negotiate with Trump instead of blindly trying to block/slow every new policy. America doesn't need another president to be blocked from doing anything useful like Obama was.

7+ Year Old Account
    You didn't have bricks for 8 years of republicans doing it so not really a valid threat.
    Really...remember how the world reacted when your government was shut down last time?

Democrats need a purge those without backbones can go, we don't need republican lite.
    Backbone means doing the job: Debate, discussion, voting. If the democrats are not capable of that they will be destroyed and painted as radicals.

I hope the democrats are at least willing to negotiate with Trump instead of blindly trying to block/slow every new policy. America doesn't need another president to be blocked from doing anything useful like Obama was.
    I was hoping that as well. I would consider that the best possible outcome. But it seems the crazies demand everything be stopped. Regardless of damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Backbone means doing the job: Debate, discussion, voting. If the democrats are not capable of that they will be destroyed and painted as radicals.
    Really? The GOP was rewarded with majority control because of obstructionist actions. Why do you think it would be different in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    And NOBODY from their side had any problem doing it.

Fucking hypocrites.
    Of course not, they're children acting like children.

7+ Year Old Account
    Really? The GOP was rewarded with majority control because of obstructionist actions. Why do you think it would be different in the future?
    The GOP was rewarded because of how STUPID the Dems were in what they did with Obamacare. Everyone wants to pretend how great it is when it's roll out was an unmitigated disaster.

The GOP refused to vote on it because they knew it would blow in up in their faces if they did....I mean healthcare reform after your economy just crashed?

RBackbone means doing the job: Debate, discussion, voting. If the democrats are not capable of that they will be destroyed and painted as radicals.
    So you confirm that Republicans are infact radicals, as the last 8 years has shown?

Opposing that radicalism doesn't make you one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Really...remember how the world reacted when your government was shut down last time?
    If Americans cared what the world thought Trump wouldn't be president.
    You mean like republicans? nothing good comes from pissing off your base especially in this environment, democrats should at least learn that lesson from the Clinton fiasco.

7+ Year Old Account
    You mean like republicans? nothing good comes from pissing off your base especially in this environment, democrats should at least learn that lesson from the Clinton fiasco.
    Trump won because the Republican candidates were quite frankly terrible. I mean seriously who wants to vote for Rubio or Jeb!. They offer nothing! Hell the most reasonable person was Kasich...but he's just so dull.

If Americans cared what the world thought Trump wouldn't be president.
    Don't assume the world saw Clinton as a better choice. A lot of people in the world looked at her in very negative light. They did the same with Trump.