Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    It's not as if the GoP would never be above doing the same thing if roles were reversed...

Oh wait...
    It's a false equivalence, anyway.

If you're the opposition party, if the government is;

A> trying to provide a moderate compromise, it behooves you to play ball and cooperate in finding an appropriate compromise you're both equally unhappy with.
    B> ignoring your views to do whatever they want, it behooves you to oppose every move you disagree with, with every political tool you have available. This is how you convince them to go to Option A and get some compromise going on.

Under Obama, his government was mostly pursuing Option A, and the Republicans weren't playing ball. Refusing to confirm Garland for SCOTUS was a clear example; Garland was a highly respected moderate who both sides had lauded in the recent past as a good choice. There was no reason to oppose that pick, from the Republican's side, other than to play stupid political games.

And now that the Republicans are in power, they're mostly pursuing Option B, so the Democrats should be opposing it. It's not comparable. If the Republicans put Garland forward and the Democrats opposed it, that would be shenanigans I'd condemn, but not what you're seeing right now.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Everyone on the ACA for starters. You get that this shit actually MATTERS, right? Like, this isn't a football game?
    Oh, you mean the ACA that was mostly received negatively and is being redesigned. I guess it will actually matter once it gets changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's a false equivalence, anyway.

If you're the opposition party, if the government is;

A> trying to provide a moderate compromise, it behooves you to play ball and cooperate in finding an appropriate compromise you're both equally unhappy with.
    B> ignoring your views to do whatever they want, it behooves you to oppose every move you disagree with, with every political tool you have available. This is how you convince them to go to Option A and get some compromise going on.

Under Obama, his government was mostly pursuing Option A, and the Republicans weren't playing ball. Refusing to confirm Garland for SCOTUS was a clear example; Garland was a highly respected moderate who both sides had lauded in the recent past as a good choice. There was no reason to oppose that pick, from the Republican's side, other than to play stupid political games.

And now that the Republicans are in power, they're mostly pursuing Option B, so the Democrats should be opposing it. It's not comparable. If the Republicans put Garland forward and the Democrats opposed it, that would be shenanigans I'd condemn, but not what you're seeing right now.
    I love that people still try to act as if the Democrats aren't just throwing a hissyfit like the Republicans did.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Oh, you mean the ACA that was mostly received negatively and is being redesigned. I guess it will actually matter once it gets changed.
    Oh, you mean the ACA which works perfectly well in states that allowed the government money for medicaid (blue states) but isn't doing so hot in states where Republicans blocked all the financial assistance?

You mean the ACA that won't be changed because it was a Republican idea in the first place, and therefore their only option is to remove it and go back to the disaster we had before?

The ACA that saves 40,000 Americans a year who can now get help to save them from easily treatable illnesses but who couldn't afford it in the past?

That ACA?

Oh? Are they actually going to implement single payer?

I love that people still try to act as if the Democrats aren't just throwing a hissyfit like the Republicans did.
    It doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, turnabout is fair play.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    No, we didn't. Your idea about the "rest of the world" is filtered through liberal controlled media lying out of their asses. Taking it as the voice of the rest of the world is like assuming that CNN spoke for all of the US when it predicted overwhelming victory for Clinton.

Just leave this here.
    Who would win the U.S. election if people from around the world were given a vote? A new poll aimed to find that out, and Hillary Clinton was the clear victor.

More than 100,000 people from 130 countries took part in the first ever Global Vote for a U.S. president, according to the global political movement The Good Country, which organized the online survey.

Participants were asked to select their preferred candidate in a non-scientific poll ahead of the official presidential election Tuesday. They were told to only consider the candidates' international policies, as “domestic issues are the exclusive concern of US citizens”.

Clinton received over half of the vote (52%) and Green Party candidate Jill Stein secured second place with 19%. Donald Trump came in third place, with 14%, and Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson received 7%. Eight percent of voters chose to abstain, indicating that, in their view, none of the four official candidates were “good news for the world”.
    http://time.com/4560963/global-vote-...-good-country/
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.

Wrong on both counts. It isn't just "hissyfits". It was pretty serious obstructionism on the GOP's part for no practical reason that was good for the country, just like they proudly crowed about being "The Party of NO!" on everything else.

That isn't the motive for the Dems here. They're trying to prevent another Scalia, one of the most partisan and regressive/reactionary justices in S.C. history. Only Clarence "Pubic Hairs On My Coke Can" and "This Is Just A High-Tech Lynching For An Uppity Nigger" Thomas comes close in recent times. (His words, not mine)
    Last edited by Caolela; 2017-02-02 at 04:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As in the Torries are bound to decimate Labor, and yet Jeremy Corbyn, a so called moderate like Schumer bending over to left wing crazies is going to get his party destroyed.
    If you're going to use the UK as an example at least read a single fucking article about what's happened over here in the last year and a half. Bending over to left wing crazies ffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Wrong on both counts. It isn't just "hissyfits". It was pretty serious obstructionism on the GOP's part for no practical reason that was good for the country, just like they proudly crowed about being "The Party of NO!" on everything else.

That isn't the motive for the Dems here. They're trying to prevent another Scalia, one of the most partisan and regressive/reactionary justices in S.C. history. Only Clarence "Pubic Hairs On My Coke Can" and "This Is Just A High-Tech Lynching For An Uppity Nigger" Thomas comes close in recent times. (His words, not mine)
    More broadly the republicans proved obstructionism is an effective political tool. I'm not sure why it's suddenly cry babying for dems to do it but this was never an issue for the republican constituents when they were busy using it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    More broadly the republicans proved obstructionism is an effective political tool. I'm not sure why it's suddenly cry babying for dems to do it but this was never an issue for the republican constituents when they were busy using it.
    Well that's what bullies usually do when you slap them back with a dose of their own medicine.

They like to play tough guy, but are really giant, quivering pussies when you get down to it.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Well that's what bullies usually do when you slap them back with a dose of their own medicine.

They like to play tough guy, but are really giant, quivering pussies when you get down to it.
    So you are calling Democrats giant, quivering Pussies then?

10+ Year Old Account
    So you are calling Democrats giant, quivering Pussies then?
    Yeah that must be it. >_>

10+ Year Old Account
    And how exactly did these people die due to these EO's, please do tell.
    There's no need to be so obstinately, willfully ignorant. It's all over the place. Several women and children dead along with a SEAL team 6 member, dozens of US citizens in need of transplant either trapped here or stuck abroad unable to reach their intended organs before they died, and Turnip hasn't even started yet.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Deleted
    I just find it more interesting that the GOP were so adamant to get them through. Steve Mnuchin of Goldman Sachs, a literal fraudster company and who withheld information of 10's of millions of assets to the committee. And Tom Price, who scurried the edge of corruption by such a close margin in regards to conflict of interest/corruption (buying stocks in healthcare companies and then pushing for legislation's regarding them).
    Not exactly something that you'd want your representative to push for.

So sure the democrats might lose out because of their decision on this, but the american people is likely going to lose out a whole lot more by this push.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I just find it more interesting that the GOP were so adamant to get them through. Steve Mnuchin of Goldman Sachs, a literal fraudster company and who withheld information of 10's of millions of assets to the committee. And Tom Price, who scurried the edge of corruption by such a close margin in regards to conflict of interest/corruption (buying stocks in healthcare companies and then pushing for legislation's regarding them).
    Not exactly something that you'd want your representative to push for.

So sure the democrats might lose out because of their decision on this, but the american people is likely going to lose out a whole lot more by this push.
    I'm not the biggest fan of Mnuchin, but maybe I'll be proven wrong. Tom Price is a solid pick, and will advance a conservative agenda in that rat nest of a department. I cannot be more pleasesd with his selection.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of Mnuchin, but maybe I'll be proven wrong. Tom Price is a solid pick, and will advance a conservative agenda in that rat nest of a department. I cannot be more pleasesd with his selection.
    Agree, I like Tom. at this rate Trump will have done everything he promised in 6mo.

Deleted
    So let me get this right, you think that a person that almost undoubtedly oversaw blatant fraud and was trying to hide almost 100 million dollars of assets, could somehow surprise in a positive way in the role of Treasury Department.
    And a person that literally pushed and passed legislation that supported the profit of healthcare companies that he had stocks in, will clean up the Health and Human Service.

Boy... I'll be nice and call you an optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    I generally don't believe the right has moved that much since the Reagan era. Outside of some Tea Party stuff that has pretty much blown over now, the right has remained the same principally with exception of some specific issues like Legal Weed.

The Democrats, on the other hand have seemed to go off the deep end way to the left. Immigration enforcement, LGBT, social justice, Military Strength, PC culture, were all areas the progressives have moved the party left on. It is hurting them dramatically.
    You really are politically ignorant.
    The GOP today aren't even close to Reagan standards. Seriously, how the hell did the party of Reagan become this joke of a Trump party..?
    He supported the biggest amnesty bill in history for illegal immigrants (3 million illegal aliens became US citizens overnight), advocated gun control, favored personal diplomacy even with the country’s sworn enemies and instituted tax increases in six of the eight years of his presidency.

The Republican Party has pivoted far away from that time-lost era to one whose candidates simply crave attention and will say anything to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    You really are politically ignorant.
    The GOP today aren't even close to Reagan standards. Seriously, how the hell did the party of Reagan become this joke of a Trump party..?
    He supported the biggest amnesty bill in history for illegal immigrants (3 million illegal aliens became US citizens overnight), advocated gun control, favored personal diplomacy even with the country’s sworn enemies and instituted tax increases in six of the eight years of his presidency.

The Republican Party has pivoted far away from that time-lost era to one whose candidates simply crave attention and will say anything to get it.
    Then explain to me why the left continues to get annihilated election after election? It's not that the country has suddenly become more white. The best thing about it is people like you who don't even see the changes to the party and continue to defend them while the moderates have turned their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    So let me get this right, you think that a person that almost undoubtedly oversaw blatant fraud and was trying to hide almost 100 million dollars of assets, could somehow surprise in a positive way in the role of Treasury Department.
    And a person that literally pushed and passed legislation that supported the profit of healthcare companies that he had stocks in, will clean up the Health and Human Service.

Boy... I'll be nice and call you an optimist.
    Policy differences make Mnuchin a shaky pick. I'm not enuthusastic about this protectionism kick that he, and some of the Trump team are on. That said, Price has the necessary credentionals and is generally spot on when it comes to conservative issues.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

Deleted
    Policy differences make Mnuchin a shaky pick. I'm not enthusiastic about this protectionism kick that he, and some of the Trump team are on. That said, Price has the necessary credentials and is generally spot on when it comes to conservative issues.
    Well I am fearful that even if Price has the right idea, it wouldn't mean that he'd sell out the american people and integrity of the department for money.

But I am actually interested to hear, what conservative ideals would you like to see implemented into the health and human services?