Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    And this is why Trump, a sexual predator at his third wife, played the good Christian in the election. Because some people automatically react to that. Same with guns, gender, sexuality, religion, origin, ancestry...you name it.
    He played the good Christian? Really? If he did I didn't pay any attention to that because it's obviously horse shit. I can't imagine anyone else would have bought into that either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Remember to say you are gay
    Remember to say you are war vet
    Remember to say you are disabled
    etc etc

Its all OK right?

She is a terrible person for putting him up in front of people and making sure he says he is Muslim.
    If defending her helps you sleep at night please continue.

If he believes in this protest his words and actions should speak for themselves, and not his religious status.
    If you're talking about the things veterans need, then you being a war vet is relevant.
    If you're talking about the experience of growing up without civil rights protections as a gay man, that you're gay yourself is absolutely relevant.
    Talking about the challenges disabilities grant means mentioning your own disability and the challenges you've faced as a result absolutely matters.

You're literally demanding that people conceal their identities and personal experiences because of your prejudice against them.

Quote Originally Posted by connal View Post
    does this also expand to trump?

rofl.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

You're literally demanding that people conceal their identities and personal experiences because of your prejudice against them.
    I do not have an issue with this guy or his motives. If he wants to stand up and say I am a Muslim, I am educated, I am good for this country and I do not agree with the EO then fine he has that right.

I have an issue with Pelosi. She is terrible. I do not live in her district, but have friends from school that do.
    Please dont pretend she was doing this out of her own good heart.

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpIsPresident View Post
    She just reduces him to an identity
    That sounds like what a large portion of the RNC, GOP, and Trump do on a regular basis. What's your point? Is it that people who pull this shit, regardless of political stripes, shouldn't be allowed in office?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    "Identity politics" at this point being "mentioning any social issue or status that's not conservative kosher".
    To some, perhaps.

Do everyone a favor and clearly state what you think "identity politics" is.

Because if you include recognition of people for who they are, you're either using the term incorrectly, or talking about something that's so fundamental it cannot be waved off.
    I'm speaking of making a point on what someone is instead of who, and trying to gain a higher voice or make any justification through it. The opposite of what you think I define it as, it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Let me know when you wage your crusade against the GOP for playing on identity politics, both in their appeals to Christians specifically (hello, identity!) and in their endless attempts to find scapegoats (but MUSLIMS! but POOR PEOPLE! but THE BLACKS! but THE MEXICANS! etc.)

Or is this a selective, "Only when the left does it!" outrage.
    Disingenuous to imply I'm waging a crusade against anyone after simply uttering two statements. Nor did I claim it is acceptable for any political side to do so.

I'd ask that you and others not put words in my mouth and/or assume my motives.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    I'm speaking of making a point on what someone is instead of who, and trying to gain a higher voice or make any justification through it. The opposite of what you think I define it as, it would seem.
    This guy being a Muslim is a part of who he is. And an important part, given the context. Hence the reminder by Pelosi.

The only ones trying to dehumanize people are those like you, who consider Muslims a "what" rather than a "who" in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Please dont pretend she was doing this out of her own good heart.
    Nobody is. But y'all are in here like she's Literally Satan for this, when at best it's just a bumbled attempt on her part to quietly make sure a key messaging point was delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    And this is why Trump, a sexual predator at his third wife, played the good Christian in the election. Because some people automatically react to that. Same with guns, gender, sexuality, religion, origin, ancestry...you name it.
    No supported evidence. Conspiracy theory that will continue to happen.

So, this seems to be the situation:

Right: OMG Muslims are the worst. They are terrorists and rapists! Look what they did to Europe!
    Left: See, this guy is a Muslim and he's successful and working to better our country.
    Right: OMG why won't the left stop playing identity politics? Stupid liberals!

This guy being a Muslim is a part of who he is. And an important part, given the context. Hence the reminder by Pelosi.

The only ones trying to dehumanize people are those like you, who consider Muslims a "what" rather than a "who" in the first place.
    That's a curious conclusion. In what way is it dehumanizing to consider a person's religion to be arbitrary? People such as Richard Dawkins have reasoned how a person's religion is usually the outcome of pure chance; it has much to do with where you were born. And when choosing a religion, one takes up the mantle of whichever subjectively sounds the best.

I put more weight on a person's actions and words than their arbitrary traits. Outside of my angsty years, I don't recall looking at someone as less than a human, or inhuman.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    That's a curious conclusion. In what way is it dehumanizing to consider a person's religion to be arbitrary? People such as Richard Dawkins have reasoned how a person's religion is usually the outcome of pure chance; it has much to do with where you were born. And when choosing a religion, one takes up the mantle of whichever subjectively sounds the best.

I put more weight on a person's actions and words than their arbitrary traits. Outside of my angsty years, I don't recall looking at someone as less than a human, or inhuman.
    Because that faith informs those words and actions. As every part of a person does. Ignoring it is willfully ignorant, and there's no just reason for it.

this reminds me of the time that time some Muslim lied about his mom dying in iraq or something and he couldnt reach her because of the travel ban. Oh yeah, it was all made up.
    http://nypost.com/2017/02/01/imam-ma...ps-travel-ban/

its hard to take the Democrats seriously right now, from fake tears to fake news, just pay or prop up whatever minority you can find and spin some sob stories hoping for sympathy.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    this reminds me of the time that time some Muslim lied about his mom dying in iraq or something and he couldnt reach her because of the travel ban. Oh yeah, it was all made up.
    http://nypost.com/2017/02/01/imam-ma...ps-travel-ban/

its hard to take the Democrats seriously right now, from fake tears to fake news, just pay or prop up whatever minority you can find and spin some sob stories hoping for sympathy.

Story originated from a fox station. I would not hold it above them to fabricate this so people can use it as a gotcha against democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Story originated from a fox station. I would not hold it above them to fabricate this so people can use it as a gotcha against democrats.
    so? fox may have some bullshit stories but once in a while they do get something right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    This just demonstrates you don't know what a 'hot mic' is?

She's not reducing the man at all, but his religion happens to be a pretty potent political point right now, and the crux of the speech.
    Except it's irrelevant, in reality - Which is his point.

She's not obsessed by it in this instance though. It's a very topical, relevant, important point to bring up given the current state of the US and the disaster of an EO.

It should, and DOES matter, we're not a homogeneous nation, dude. We're an incredibly diverse nation, and we celebrate that diversity and it's what's made this nation so incredible over the years. Yes, we all need to come together and find common ground and causes, but whitewashing (very specifically choosing that word) peoples identities because they make you feel uncomfortable is backwards and dangerous.

What you view as "touted like some circus sideshow" is simply her making sure he brings up a key factor of who he is and why what he is saying is relevant.

Let me know when you wage your crusade against the GOP for playing on identity politics, both in their appeals to Christians specifically (hello, identity!) and in their endless attempts to find scapegoats (but MUSLIMS! but POOR PEOPLE! but THE BLACKS! but THE MEXICANS! etc.)

Or is this a selective, "Only when the left does it!" outrage.
    what you are saying is selective reading of history. U.S. was not very diverse until aftermath of WWII, when U.S. needed labor. Prior to that, U.S.'s diversity consisted of WHITE europeans and blacks who had no culture of their own, might as well be white. And no Diversity did not make America great. Genuinely, examine what specific factors made America great, then you will see all of them are from White Eurocentric culture, not from Asian, Not African, Not Australian, Not from any other continent. Our laws are not based on African culture, or Asian culture, Or Australian culture. Our gov't is not based on cultures of any of these people. It is a phrase we use "diversity made our nation great", but does it actually mean European heritage made our nation great, when other cultures are not even included? Think about it, we don't have the caste system (so, its not indian), we have tribal cheifs (neither african or native americans), we allow women to work outside without permission from husbands (so neither arabic). So, honestly, where is the great diversity that made america great? Is it only Europeans you are talking about?
    It should not matter. It is dangerous for Identity to matter, because it generalizes greatly. It divides the nation even more. It justifies bad policies based on identity forexample steralizing blacks due to high criminal stats, or arabs because they have low iq and highly dangerous or muslims because of terrorism and fundamentalism of mainstream Islam etc. When you generalzing groups to create coalition against the White citizens, why are you ignoring the bad parts of those groups?

Deleted
    It should, and DOES matter, we're not a homogeneous nation, dude. We're an incredibly diverse nation, and we celebrate that diversity and it's what's made this nation so incredible over the years. Yes, we all need to come together and find common ground and causes, but whitewashing (very specifically choosing that word) peoples identities because they make you feel uncomfortable is backwards and dangerous.
    Didn't your country just elect a guy who wants to build a wall against Mexico, discriminates anyone that he pleases - even threatening their social status and rights, whilst your country remains plagued by inner turmoil and discrimination? Being gay recently became more alright in the US and you just recently had one of your first black presidents? Blacks shoot each other in their Ghettos and BLM movements are abound? What about the KKK and their influence in the politics?

I mean, i must ask the honest question: How in the f does the US celebrate it's diversity and how did it make your nation "incredible"?

Your history is plagued by people having to fight for their very rights to exist cause of being plagued by prejudice - There never was any god damn unity in diversity.

You even have these things in your history: Extinction of the native population, Xenophobia to imagined terrorist threats (painting them out as a group) - Nowhere in the bloody history of mankind, were you known for being progressive. Even less so, with Trump.

Either you are knowingly shitposting, or i'd like to argue for that you are DANGEROUSLY unaware of the US's history.
    Last edited by mmoc411114546c; 2017-02-02 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    "a sexual predator" XD

Oh man, that's rich. He's been married three times, he MUST be a predator. This woman was caught red-handed pulling her puppet's strings, and all you can say is "well hey now, Trump's a predator, so... yeah... HOW BOW DAH"
    Or maybe because he creeped on underage girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    He played the good Christian? Really? If he did I didn't pay any attention to that because it's obviously horse shit. I can't imagine anyone else would have bought into that either.
    I never said he was good at it. But he definitely tried pander to those votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    No supported evidence. Conspiracy theory that will continue to happen.
    Well, he himself said it. Sure, a conspiracy theory...the lengths you Trumpets are willing to go to to protect the ego of that guy.

Pelosi is the physical embodiment of everything that is wrong with Washington DC. Everything is about power and control, and she doesn't give a fuck about actual people. She's exactly like Mitch McConnell and Harry Reid.