Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Added T2 Trainspotting (7-/10). War for the Planet of the Apes loses its spot.

Added Mother! (8+/10) and Good Time (8/10) from yesterday. I Am Heath Ledger and Wonder Woman lose their spots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Added Thor: Ragnarok knocking down Split and Get Out one place.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - 8/10
    Fate of the Furious - 6.75/10
    XXX: The Return of Xander Cage - 6/10
    Cars 3 - 6/10
    Spider Man: Homecoming - 8.3/10
    Thor: Ragnarok – 7
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 7/10

Added Spider-Man: Homecoming (7-/10) from yesterday. T2 Transpotting loses its spot.

Added A Ghost Story (7+/10) from two days ago and Ramen Heads (7/10) from yesterday. Spider-Man: Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok lose their spot.

Added The Villainess (Aknyeo) (8/10). Ramen Heads loses its spot.

People seem to think John Wick is good. I could say that The Villainess puts John Wick to shame, but that would be an understatement. The Villainess wipes the floor with John Wick. I certainly see why it received a four-minute standing ovation at Cannes.

Deleted
    I'm going to risk huge amounts of mockery...But...

Bay watch

Solid 6 out of10. I even laughed a few times.

It has a few other good points too.

Added The Wound (Inxeba) (8-/10) and A Fantastic Woman (Una mujer fantástica) (7+/10). Split and The Promise lose their spots.

I watched The Third Murder (Sandome no satsujin) on Wednesday. It was good. 8/10. A Fantastic Woman (Una mujer fantástica) loses its spot.

Added Brigsby Bear. Wind River has moved out of the top ten list.

Thor 3 comes in at number 3, behind John Wick 2 and Logan. Resident Evil 6 is finally bumped off the list.

Added Koe no katachi / A Silent Voice. Kingsman: The Golden Circle has moved out of the top ten list.

Actually saw this back in July or something, but I thought it was a 2016 movie, which it is in a way, but apparently not according to the Oscars, as this is the list of animated movies in the running for Best Animated Feature for 2017:

“The Big Bad Fox & Other Tales”
    “Birdboy: The Forgotten Children”
    “The Boss Baby”
    “The Breadwinner”
    “Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie”
    “Cars 3”
    “Cinderella the Cat”
    “Coco”
    “Despicable Me 3”
    “The Emoji Movie”
    “Ethel & Ernest”
    “Ferdinand”
    “The Girl without Hands”
    “In This Corner of the World”
    “The Lego Batman Movie”
    “The Lego Ninjago Movie”
    “Loving Vincent”
    “Mary and the Witch’s Flower”
    “Moomins and the Winter Wonderland”
    “My Entire High School Sinking into the Sea”
    “Napping Princess”
    “A Silent Voice”
    “Smurfs: The Lost Village”
    “The Star”
    “Sword Art Online: The Movie – Ordinal Scale”
    “Window Horses The Poetic Persian Epiphany of Rosie Ming”

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    People seem to think John Wick is good. I could say that The Villainess puts John Wick to shame, but that would be an understatement. The Villainess wipes the floor with John Wick
    In what world? Or at least, in what way? Okay, the plot is more complicated, so if you want a more complex plot that you should be paying attention to, with flashbacks and time skips and multiple factions and double crosses, rather than John Wick's classic action "here's the protaganist, here's what that happens to him, here's how he deals with it like a badass" story, then yes, The Villainess puts John Wick to shame. John Wick is not a plot heavy movie, so if that's your bag in an action film, yeah, it's not gonna compete. If you want long, extended moments of the movie watching the characters and their relationships, seeing a professional killer try to have a "normal" life, doing normal things, being more of a drama, again, The Villainess takes the win. If you look for action movies heavier on the drama side of things, again, this one is the clear winner.

However, if you want ACTION, John Wick, no pun intended, blows The Villainess away, not even fucking close. JW has more of it to start with, which doesn't automatically put it in the lead, but it does give it an advantage out of the gate. Following that, Villainess's action sequences are choreographed well, and Kim Ok-bin is clearly well trained(none of that Finn Jones in Iron Fist bullshit), but the scenes are too heavy on the shaky cam and quick cuts to be truly great. They're not Bourne/Taken level bad, but they rank far below the super clean, clearly shot, steady filming of action scenes like those present in JW and The Raid movies. Third of all, one of the longest action scenes in the movie relies on the whole "first person" view, and while it's fine for a video game, that concept is NEVER a good idea in movies. The whole 10 minute sequence I had a hard time thinking about anything other than how much better the scene would be if the cameras were pulled out so I could see the entire actual sequence and see her actual movements(cause again, she clearly knows her shit, and I bet it'd be great to watch if it was filmed without jump cuts and shaky cam), like I could see the sequences in JW, rather than just what she sees. And to make matters worse, it briefly pops up a couple more times in the movie as well. It can't even take credit as being something new or original, since we already saw it briefly in Kick Ass, even more briefly in The Man From Nowhere(a superior Korean action movie), and the whole damn Hardcore Henry movie. I admit it does about as well as you can do with the concept, but...the best FPS style movie action scene isn't gonna compete with something like the nightclub scene from JW 1, the art gallery sequences in JW2, the kitchen fight in Raid 2, or the temple fight in Ong Bak, to name a few. And last of all, the gunplay is a lot more by the numbers, without any real standouts. Kim is well trained in martial arts, but it's pretty clear she doesn't have nearly the level of firearms training that Keanu got. Which is fine, on it's own(it's not like Arnie or Sly or Seagal were noted for their elaborately choreographed shootouts), but if you're gonna compare it to JW, I except something on par, and this was not it.

For what it's worth, The Villainess comes in at number 5 on my list, a full 4 spots behind John Wick 2(and also ranking behind Logan, Thor 3, and The Foreigner in terms of overall enjoyment). Underworld finally got bumped off the list.

We're nearing the technical end of the year, but as always, a lot of 2017 movies aren't released before the first few months of 2018. This year seems particularly egregious, at least here in Denmark, so I'll probably keep the thread "going" until 1th March. The 2018 thread will probably be up 1th February.

I still have 38 movies on my watchlist, we'll see if I get to watch them all, but these are the movies I definitely need to see: Mudbound, The Last Jedi, Three Billboards Outside Missouri, Darkest Hour, The Florida Project, Lady Bird, The Post, Call Me by Your Name, The Disaster Artist, Coco, The Phantom Thread, The Shape of Water and Molly's Game.

Added Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi. Brigsby Bear has moved out of the top ten list.

Here's my list, I feel like the order is right but I'm not 100% sure yet:

1. Logan
    2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (could change)
    3. Dunkirk
    4. Blade Runner 2
    -
    5. Thor 3
    6. Spiderman: Homecoming
    7. Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2
    -
    8. Blade of the Immortal
    9. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
    10. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

I separated them a bit, because I felt like there was a slight drop going down, either in my emotional investment, the amount of stuff that I had a problem with in a movie, or simply the impact it had on me. The last three movies on the list could easily switch between each other on places 8-10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Added Thor 3, removed Kingsman 2. I will go to The Last Jedi tomorrow and I've still got a fair amount of other shows planned. Busy schedule school/work didn't allow me to see a lot over the past several weeks/month.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm very surprised Get Out is not being mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyoftheforest View Post
    I'm very surprised Get Out is not being mentioned.
    Decent but it was one of the most overrated films of all time. It has a much higher metacritic score than all the horror classics, that just doesn't make sense.