Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Mexican government says Trump never threatened to send troops to Mexico

Could the "bad hombres" thing be fake news?

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-...story,amp.html

The Mexican government on Wednesday vehemently denied reports that President Trump threatened to send American soldiers into Mexico during a phone call with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto.

Such a threat “did not happen during that call,” said a government statement released on Twitter Wednesday night.

"I know it with absolute certainty, there was no threat,” Peña Nieto spokesman Eduardo Sanchez said in a radio interview. “The things that have been said are nonsense and a downright lie."

The Associated Press and a Mexican news website, Aristegui Noticias, reported earlier in the day that Trump had humiliated Peña Nieto during a phone call between the leaders on Friday.

Trump threatened to send U.S. troops into Mexico to stop “bad hombres down there” unless the Mexican military does more to control them itself, the Associated Press said, quoting an excerpt of a transcript of the conversation that it said was obtained from an unnamed source.

The White House would not comment on the purported transcript and denied that the U.S. was planning to invade Mexico. A White House official pointed to a joint statement issued by the two leaders Friday noting they had discussed the need to "work together to stop drug cartels, drug trafficking and illegal guns and arms sales."

Tensions between the U.S. and Mexico, longtime allies, have been dramatically heightened since Trump’s inauguration less than two weeks ago.
    Trump's threats to booming Mexico auto industry have executives' heads spinning

In one of his first presidential acts, Trump, who as a candidate frequently accused Mexico of sending criminals and drugs to the U.S., signed an executive order calling for immediate construction of a border wall between the countries.

A few days later, he tweeted that Peña Nieto should not visit Washington for a Jan. 30 meeting with Trump unless Mexico was prepared to pay for construction of the wall — one of his signature campaign pledges.

Peña Nieto canceled the meeting, saying Mexico has no intention of paying for a border wall. But last Friday, the leaders appeared to begin mending differences, speaking on the phone in a call that both sides described as productive and cordial.

The explosive allegations Wednesday that Trump threatened to send soldiers to Mexico drew anger in Mexico, where many feel deeply insulted by Trump’s repeated attacks.

There were widespread calls for the Mexican government to release the transcript of the call.

Alejandro Hope, a security analyst in Mexico City, said he did not know what to make of the allegations.

“I know it sounds crazy, but it doesn't sound completely out of character,” Hope said, noting Trump’s provocations of other world leaders and his frequent attacks on Mexico.

If Trump did indeed threaten to send soldiers in to the U.S. “that's tantamount to invasion,” Hope said.

While U.S. and Mexican law enforcement authorities collaborate on a range of fronts, from immigration enforcement to combating drug cartels, “not having U.S. troops in Mexico has always been one line in the sand,” he said, citing a history of distrust that dates back to the Mexican-American War of 1846 to 1848.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I would cast doubt on the Mexican government account, it could be true it could be fake but the Mexican government is in a very bad place right now I doubt anyone there would ever admit to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nieto and his team are kind of in a shit situation either way. Dude's approval ratings are in the tank and he's close to being forced to resign if people go bat shit again. Looking weak will set some people off, stepping up will set others off. If this is true I reckon he's taking a gamble on both parties denying since it makes both look bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    The left has fake news.
    The right has fake news.

Not even worth watching or reading anything.
    A normal citizen can not tell what is what.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I would cast doubt on the Mexican government account, it could be true it could be fake but the Mexican government is in a very bad place right now I doubt anyone there would ever admit to it.
    Why would they lie? Saying "Trump threathened to invade us" would be an excellent powder keg to set off right now. I would think that there is a dozen countries that wish Trump would make such a threat and I'm sure there are tons in the US who wished he did.

I don't see how exposing Trump for threatening Mexico would be viewed as weak willed.

If we keep getting these 1 off "leak" stories that prove to be about nothing, then the public, if not already, is just going to ignore everything. Really not what the media or the people should want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Why would they lie? Saying "Trump threathened to invade us" would be an excellent powder keg to set off right now. I would think that there is a dozen countries that wish Trump would make such a threat and I'm sure there are tons in the US who wished he did.

I don't see how exposing Trump for threatening Mexico would be viewed as weak willed.

If we keep getting these 1 off "leak" stories that prove to be about nothing, then the public, if not already, is just going to ignore everything. Really not what the media or the people should want.
    Because the current president wants to do a deal with Trump, people in Mexico already think that Nieto is being bullied by Trump this would not help sell any deal. He is very close to having to resign thanks to what he did during the election it is even worse now. The current government desperately needs to turn this narrative around and show that they are getting treated fairly.

Every single thing about the outrage to Trump, it seems, is from someone who wants to create a storm. I mean, this story in and of itself, was based off an anonymous person who had a transcript of the conversation, and would only leak that one sentence, which, if we believe the President of Mexico, didn't even happen. But look at the outrage that spawned because of it?

When will journalists investigate reports before publishing things?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    The left has fake news.
    The right has fake news.

All part of the plan. Lead the public to feel like there is no source of reliable information, then they cannot trust any information and just have to believe the administration.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

7+ Year Old Account
    This sensationalist crap needs to stop. It's hard to know what's true or not when you've got official government stances vs all the leaks.

Also Knowing Steve Bannon he could just be fucking with the press by leaking transcripts that are patently untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    That's the attitude that got us into this mess. That people make it harder to figure out what is or isn't the case just means you need to work harder to find out, not sit there and lazily and cynically claim it's all terrible or whatever other equivalence justifies not doing anything, especially if you still intend to participate in government in even the smallest ways, such as voting.
    It's hard to find a non-biased news source these days, pretty much nobody is able to be politically neutral to just report the facts, anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    It's hard to find a non-biased news source these days, pretty much nobody is able to be politically neutral to just report the facts, anymore.
    Then go to multiple news sources. Even if there was a magical news source that had 0 bias if it was unfavorable facts about someone you like then you would probably claim they're biased. People that are invested in a political candidate/ideology don't want to admit the bad shit they do. And that's the problem with everyone screaming FAKE NEWS. Most of the time it's not actually "fake" it's just not something you agree with. Both sides do it. So take it upon yourself to be informed and seek out sources and multiple reportings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Then go to multiple news sources. Even if there was a magical news source that had 0 bias if it was unfavorable facts about someone you like then you would probably claim they're biased. People that are invested in a political candidate/ideology don't want to admit the bad shit they do. And that's the problem with everyone screaming FAKE NEWS. Most of the time it's not actually "fake" it's just not something you agree with. Both sides do it. So take it upon yourself to be informed and seek out sources and multiple reportings.
    The problem is not with myself. I regularly check multiple news websites, and stray from those that are too sensationalistic. The problem is that many people don't, and we end up with a so called "journalist" posting about unsubstantiated, leaked, or rumored information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    The problem is not with myself. I regularly check multiple news websites, and stray from those that are too sensationalistic. The problem is that many people don't, and we end up with a so called "journalist" posting about unsubstantiated, leaked, or rumored information.
    Journalists just report what they're given. Much like Fox ran with the whole MOROCCAN MUSLIM SHOOTS UP QUEBEC MOSQUE as that was the information they had at the time. It information turns out to be blatantly false almost all news organizations redact the claims and issues apologies, much like Fox did with that whole situation.

AP is a reputable organization and if they say they have a source of information I trust that they do. Now whether the information that was leaked to them wasn't fabricated is a whole other story. People want to see a physical copy of the transcripts but then that could easily be doctored too. For whatever reason they're not showing it to us because maybe there's something on it that would reveal their source idk.

Regardless this is just words now and the real discussions would need to be had if this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    That's why you don't get your news from just one source. This isn't rocket science.
    Yes.

My "news" button is a link on my browser that opens Fox, CNN, MSNBC, HuffPo, Motherjones, RedState, Infowars, and Drudge.

That spread does a pretty good job of hitting the full spectrum on just about any issue.

Also link-hopping is another great tool for discovering truth.

Today's "news" articles are often an opinion piece based off an interpretation based off another interpretation based off a source that might be saying a completely different thing or might not even of had any facts in it to begin with.

As for the Trump threatens Mexico with military force story ...it smelled of fake news right from the start.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

What's sad is no one will talk about this, this is pretty much how news runs today.

2/1/2017 TRUMP THREATENS MEXICO
    2/2/207 oops he didn't, our bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    The left has fake news.
    The right has fake news.

I think as long as you have a a healthy does of skepticism and the time to do your own research to verify truth. It can be marginally valuable.

But both sides will try to convince they have honest and impartial sources and outlets... LULZ!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what happens when the government treats news agents as hostile. All news has to come from third party sources.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    All part of the plan. Lead the public to feel like there is no source of reliable information, then they cannot trust any information and just have to believe the administration.
    And the administration spouts such unbelievable bullshit that you can't believe them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Like who exactly ?

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    And the administration spouts such unbelievable bullshit that you can't believe them either.
    One of the main issues is that, if this had been said about any president or presidential candidate from the last few decades (at least), it would have been completely unbelievable. Obama? McCain? Romney? Dubya? No way. But something like this is completely in character for Trump, so it gets traction, true or not.