PS4's New Update Adds PS4 Pro Enhancements For Unpatched Games

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4...GSS-05-10aaa0b

Videos appear to show improved frame rates in games that otherwise play identically on PS4 and PS4 Pro.
    Update: Sony has now confirmed additional details about Boost mode, including the fact that its benefits may extend beyond improved frame rates.

"Boost Mode lets PS4 Pro run at a higher GPU and CPU clock speed for smoother gameplay on some PS4 games that were released before the launch of PS4 Pro (and has not been updated to support PS4 Pro)," a spokesperson said in a statement shared with GameSpot.

It also confirmed that, although the feature is in the update's beta, its inclusion in the official 4.50 release "is still under consideration."

The original story follows.

Sony today announced some of the key features coming to PlayStation 4 as part of the next big system update. There's also a major one for PS4 Pro owners that Sony did not mention: an option to improve performance in games that haven't been patched to support the Pro.

While all PS4 games are playable on PS4 Pro, they don't necessarily run or look better simply because of the system's higher-end hardware. Unlike the Xbox One S, which can produce slightly improved performance than on a standard Xbox One, games don't play any better on a Pro without an update.
    As first reported in screenshots shared on NeoGAF and since confirmed by GameSpot, the 4.50 beta update includes an option for something called Boost mode. This is located in the System section of the Settings menu. Its description states, "Experience improved gameplay, including higher frame rates, for some games that were released before the introduction of PS4 Pro (CUH-7000 series)."

The menu goes on to note you should disable the feature if "you experience unexpected behavior during gameplay."

number of videos have already made their way online from those who have access to the update. The one above of The Evil Within comes from YouTube user Noel Underson. It seems to show a much-improved frame rate in an early section of the game that otherwise features pretty severe slowdown.

Results are likely to vary from game to game. As Sony has not yet officially announced the feature, it's possible it may not make it into the full release of update 4.50.

We'll report back as we learn about Boost mode. The 4.50 update also introduces external storage support, a revamped Quick menu, and more.

This story has been updated with confirmation of Boost mode.
    As a PS4 Pro Owner this is awesome.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4...GSS-05-10aaa0b

As a PS4 Pro Owner this is awesome.
    Finally a REAL reason to upgrade my PS4 to a Pro.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    Finally a REAL reason to upgrade my PS4 to a Pro.
    Hope you enjoy it when you do.

I had many reasons to grab one when they released so I did.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

And again with this update.. No sign of being able to change your gamer tag.

/sigh

Meh not reason enough for me to get a Pro. Only way I'll get one is if my regular PS4 dies which won't be for a long time and the PS7 or whatever will probably be out by then. . Nice to see Pro getting the enhancements though. Wonder if it will affect FF14 much. Only complaint I really have about my PS4 and FF14 is it runs Idyllshire like shit but well PS3 did and it is a hub crowded with people.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-04 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    And again with this update.. No sign of being able to change your gamer tag.

/sigh
    Ya don't hold your breath on that ever happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Meh not reason enough for me to get a Pro. Only way I'll get one is if my regular PS4 dies which won't be for a long time and the PS7 or whatever will probably be out by then. . Nice to see Pro getting the enhancements though. Wonder if it will affect FF14 much. Only complaint I really have about my PS4 and FF14 is it runs Idyllshire like shit but well PS3 did and it is a hub crowded with people.
    I have wondered how the Ps4 Pro handles FFXIV since it does have a uncapped fps setting.

Haven't gotten around to playing it tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    If the Sony can get a new Monster Hunter game on the PS4 I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'm on the fence as it is.
    There is some Monster Hunter style games on it and if u want to import it/pay for it there is a Monster Hunter on Ps4.

Sadly its Japan only and cost monthly. Its the MMO.

I have wondered how the Ps4 Pro handles FFXIV since it does have a uncapped fps setting.

Haven't gotten around to playing it tho.
    It still caps at 60 in outdoor areas like Thanalan as standard. But I imagine even the Pro would struggle with Idyllshire. Idyllshire to a console player is like an overflowing small box on large servers. Not that it means the console version is bad but that's how it is. Amazingly though it handles 72 man Frontlines and 24 man raids superbly. Plus there is the benefit of the game having full KB/Mouse support unlike PS3 which had Keyboard support only for typing.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-04 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It still caps at 60 in outdoor areas like Thanalan as standard. But I imagine even the Pro would struggle with Idyllshire. Idyllshire to a console player is like an overflowing small box on large servers. Not that it means the console version is bad but that's how it is. Amazingly though it handles 72 man Frontlines and 24 man raids superbly. Plus there is the benefit of the game having full KB/Mouse support unlike PS3 which had Keyboard support only for typing.
    True, I mean I wonder how much of a improvement it is on Ps4 Pro compared to Ps4. I have only played FFXIV on my OG Ps4, haven't put it on my pro yet.

Still doesn't fix the frame pacing issues in Bloodborne, so that's kinda eh.

They really need to figure out a way to do name changes. I think I subconsciously don't play my ps4 more because I hate my psn name, and I only made mine a couple years ago - can't imagine being stuck with a crappy one from a long time ago. I definitely don't play online games much, at least. Thought I saw some articles talking about how the code for the new update was hinting towards trying to find a way to do so - assigning a number id to all accounts or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope you enjoy it when you do.

I had many reasons to grab one when they released so I did.
    I pulled the trigger last night. I want the best experience for Horizon Zero Dawn.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

I've debated about grabbing a Pro, how does it work with all your current games etc? Can I just pull the SSD I have in my PS4 now and pop it into the PS4 Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    I've debated about grabbing a Pro, how does it work with all your current games etc? Can I just pull the SSD I have in my PS4 now and pop it into the PS4 Pro?
    No you can't just take a HD from system A and put it in system B. You in some what would have to transfer the content or redownload it.