MMORPGs with a good RP community (aside from WoW)?

Do they exist? If so, which ones should be looked into?

Stop this atrocity which is "roleplaying in games" and make some friends for real pen & paper. Even as a long time roleplayer I think you guys are very weird and it is total waste of time because all you guys do is play house in a game world which cannot be changed and that is a necessity for true roleplaying.

Worth the infraction, this had to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    Do they exist? If so, which ones should be looked into?
    FFXIV has a real solid community.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Shanden View Post
    Stop this atrocity which is "roleplaying in games" and make some friends for real pen & paper. Even as a long time roleplayer I think you guys are very weird and it is total waste of time because all you guys do is play house in a game world which cannot be changed and that is a necessity for true roleplaying.

Worth the infraction, this had to be said.
    I personally prefer pen & paper RPGs (though I play it over the internet on roll20, since no one near me to play with), but I see nothing wrong with RPing in a video game.

As to the OP: FF14 is a good one. Also, Lord of the Rings Online has some really awesome RP over on Landroval (unofficial NA RP server), and from what I hear Laurelin does as well (official EU RP server before they moved everthing to NA). I am going to assume D&D Online (and possibly Neverwinter?) would as well. Other than that, no clue.

I know that Black Desert is an extremely RP friendly game, couldn't get into the gameplay or community myself, so when my friends left I went with them, but I recall the community staying healthy.

The devs are also very protective of roleplayers since the game is so much about immersion, if you're tagged roleplaying and someone ganks you outside of the city (the game being always-on PvP after level 40 or so) a report of harrasment with evidence will be handled in a very draconic fashion, besides the game's own in-built penalties for ganking.
    Last edited by Veluren; 2017-04-20 at 05:45 PM.

The Lord of the Rings Online (Lotro) on the Laurelin server has an excellent RP community that aligns to the Tolkien canon & lore. The EU designation can be ignored as it has an active player base around the clock. The Landroval server also has a well established RP community though the flavour of it is somewhat different to that of Laurelin's.

As for the game itself, the content covering the first 60+ levels is fantastic. It's only from Helms Deep expac onwards and at lvl cap that the issues with the game become apparent.

If you're interested, it's well worth taking a look here for RP contacts on Laurelin: http://laurelinarchives.org/
    Last edited by Ragingheadache; 2017-04-23 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added Laurelin Archives ref.