Thread: Devos Confirmed

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Drain the swamp indeed.
    Give a Billionaire mega donor a job she's rankly unqualified for as the head of a department she clearly has an ax to grind with over personal financial benefits.
    Shameful.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2017-02-07 at 10:14 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Snip.
    ignoring the fact the GOP was holding up nomination "just cause", and they changed the rules because of that, not for "basically no reason"

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowofVashj View Post
    The senators you just listed actually come from the two states that have the BEST PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN THE NATION. So once again, you are either trolling or ignorant.
    Cali has some of the best public schools in the nation? Damn dude, pass that Kush.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    ignoring the fact the GOP was holding up nomination "just cause", and they changed the rules because of that, not for "basically no reason"
    The most important and significant nominees were confirmed.

Republicans were playing unfairly for sure. The solution was not to kick over the game board. Why did this happen? More than anything else, Harry Reid had a pathologically dysfunctional personal relationship with Mitch McConnell, and in the Senate, those relationships are everything.

As a matter of principle, reducing the vote requirement to 51 is unjustifiable. The fact it frustrated Obama's agenda is besides the point. It could have been an abstract President. 60 votes was an effective check, and Harry Reid cast it aside for something that got Obama basically 3 years.

Some 3 years that was! And now we get to deal with Rick Perry, head of the Nuclear Weapons Establishment. And get ready for Elliot Abrams as Deputy Secretary of State... ya know, the Neocon who actually imagined the Iraq War? Yeah he's coming back for an encore performance of bullshit.

But I'm sure Harry Reid had perfectly justifiable reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Our country could honestly do with less education as most people piss away their education and others spend their time getting worthless and meaningless degrees like "Social Science" or "Gender Studies". The average American I would argue holds a job that requires little more than a middle school education.
    What is wrong with having a more intelligent society?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

The most important and significant nominees were confirmed.

Republicans were playing unfairly for sure. The solution was not to kick over the game board. Why did this happen? More than anything else, Harry Reid had a pathologically dysfunctional personal relationship with Mitch McConnell, and in the Senate, those relationships are everything.

As a matter of principle, reducing the vote requirement to 51 is unjustifiable. The fact it frustrated Obama's agenda is besides the point. It could have been an abstract President. 60 votes was an effective check, and Harry Reid cast it aside for something that got Obama basically 3 years.

Some 3 years that was! And now we get to deal with Rick Perry, head of the Nuclear Weapons Establishment. And get ready for Elliot Abrams as Deputy Secretary of State... ya know, the Neocon who actually imagined the Iraq War? Yeah he's coming back for an encore performance of bullshit.

So in short its reid's fault that Trump nominated wildly incompetent people and a majority of the senate approves of said candidates

10+ Year Old Account
    ...now we get to deal with Rick Perry, head of the Nuclear Weapons Establishment...
    I work for the DoE in the site office at one of the national labs... I've never this place or the lab look so grim.
    I'm seeing quality people, the caliber we need doing quality research, preparing resumes.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Oh really, you probably don't understand the Senate very well then. There is a much more likely chance that Dems will lose seats at this point in 2018, Democrats have 23 yes you read that right, 23 of 50 seats up for election in 2018. GOP have 8. You had your chance in 2016 and blew it all on Hillary, you are done until at least 2020.
    It isn't as though you don't have a point. But you ignore the part where it's very unusual for a presidential party to hold congress. Especially with low approval ratings. I doubt there will be losses, though it's possible. On the same token my hopes that they could take the senate back are pretty low on seeing the seat spread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish Pence was brave enough to think of the kids.

Oh well, most of us group up during Bush's education administration. The kids will only only be 60% behind.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I wish Pence was brave enough to think of the kids.

Oh well, most of us group up during Bush's education administration. The kids will only only be 60% behind.
    Hah! In some ways Pence is worse than Trump. I'm sure he's all for destroying public education.

How about we start with the 6th Amendment. Americans have the right to a speedy trial.

McConnell was holding up judicial nominations and denying Americans the right of a speedy trial by his actions. What good reason did he have for doing it?

Reid's action were desperate but you're blaming the wrong person. Furthermore, McConnell is not an "institutionalist". Unless the institution you're referring to is himself.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    What is wrong with having a more intelligent society?
    Education =/= intelligence.

Some jobs definitely need a skilled and educated workforce. However many, probably the vast majority, don't need anything a competent education system couldn't teach high school kids. Time and money are finite resources, so when we channel those into unnecessary education we pay an opportunity cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    Education =/= intelligence.

Some jobs definitely need a skilled and educated workforce. However many, probably the vast majority, don't need anything a competent education system couldn't teach high school kids. Time and money are finite resources, so when we channel those into unnecessary education we pay an opportunity cost.
    Where the fuck are you getting this idea from?

So if we agree that public schools in the US are shit and that private and charter schools are generally better, why are you against Devos? Do you even know, lol? Oh, she's with Trump so I'm gonna stick my liberal prick in the mix to seem relevant. The winning continues. Thanks Harry.

Stood in the Fire ShadowofVashj's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    In the basement of Oribos playing cards with fellow Ebon Knights and Cartel members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Cali has some of the best public schools in the nation? Damn dude, pass that Kush.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...rnia,_Berkeley

"Founded in 1868, Berkeley is the oldest of the ten research universities affiliated with the University of California system, and is often cited as the top public university in the United States and around the world."
    Last edited by ShadowofVashj; 2017-02-07 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Knockout punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    So if we agree that public schools in the US are shit and that private and charter schools are generally better, why are you against Devos? Do you even know, lol? Oh, she's with Trump so I'm gonna stick my liberal prick in the mix to seem relevant. The winning continues. Thanks Harry.
    did you even watch her hearings?

Why are charter schools better? Is that the reason why DeVos fought against any form of accountability for charters in Michigan? Because they are better?

Kaine: “If confirmed will you insist upon equal accountability in any K-12 school or educational program that receives taxpayer funding whether public, public charter or private?”
    DeVos: “I support accountability.”
    Kaine: “Equal accountability?”
    Kaine: “Is that a yes or a no?”
    Kaine: “Do you not want to answer my question?”
    Kaine: “Let me ask you this. I think all schools that receive taxpayer funding should be equally accountable. Do you agree?”
    DeVos: “Well they don’t, they are not today.”
    Kaine: “Well, I think they should. Do you agree with me?
    DeVos: “Well no . . . ”

Stood in the Fire ShadowofVashj's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    In the basement of Oribos playing cards with fellow Ebon Knights and Cartel members.
    Sounds like you actually went to one of Betsy's charter schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Where the fuck are you getting this idea from?
    Most jobs require relatively simple skills that you don't need post secondary education for. E.g. for 10 most common jobs 1/10 requires a bachelor's and 9/10 can be done with a high school diploma (https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-today/274526/). A lot of jobs resulting from two year programs could be covered by a more efficient school system where high school actually teaches something worth a crap.

Something like 50% of young people go on to college these days. 50% of jobs sure as hell don't need a college education to be done. We don't need 50% of people to go to college, and the idea that it somehow makes you a smarter or better person is unsubstantiated bullshit (I've been to college myself).