10+ Year Old Account

Israel edges out South Korea for top spot in research investment

http://www.nature.com/news/israel-ed...stment-1.21443

Israel has just nudged ahead of South Korea as the world’s most research-intensive economy, according to figures released on 7 February by the Paris-based Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

Last year, the OECD reported that South Korea was opening up a clear lead — but its latest data, which reveal 2015 investments and make revisions to earlier years, suggest that the two countries are still neck and neck. In 2015, Israel invested 4.25% of its gross domestic product (GDP) in research and development (R&D), marginally more than South Korea, which dipped to 4.23%.

In both countries, industry accounts for much R&D spending. When it comes to the intensity given to “basic” research — which the OECD defines as work undertaken primarily to acquire new knowledge without any particular application in view — South Korea holds a clear lead, with 0.73% of its economy invested in the practice, a larger proportion than anywhere else in the world. (Israel, with 0.39% investment in 2014, is ninth on this measure.)

In OECD nations (which include Japan, the United States and Germany), the balance between government- and industry-financed R&D is slowly shifting. The fraction of R&D funded by domestic governments has been falling steadily since 2010, the OECD shows, dropping from 31% to 27% over 5 years. Industry-financed investment, which had dipped during the global financial crisis beginning in 2008, is back up to around 61% — aided by rising tax incentives for business R&D. Separately, cross-border research funding — not accounted for in the government and industry financing figures — is also on the rise.
    Always good to see competition in research and development!

They do seem to produce alot of nice stuff in israel, mostly military stuff but other things as well. Good for Israel.

Look at that Korean trendline shoot up! Pretty kick ass.

I'm not sure that percent of GDP is a very good measure though. It's probably mostly fine for the OECD context, but it understates how much research wealthy countries are actually doing. I'd be interested in seeing the percentage data paired with per capita data and total spending data.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember reading a few years ago that Singapore was another R and D hotspot. I wonder how thats goin.