Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    So it's not free.

Man, liberals love other people's money.
    It is free for the people who are going to the university. Of which I'm sure some will be conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There are liberal arts degrees that make money... Economics being oen of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Well a quick cruise of google shows its within top 10 worst college degrees.
    More to the point ANY degree can make money. That wasn't the point.
    You guys are talking past each other; Titan, you're referring to a degree in Liberal Arts while Themius is referring to the broad category of degrees in liberal arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    It is free for the people who are going to the university. Of which I'm sure some will be conservatives.
    Yeah, does anyone really think the party of abject hypocrisy would reject the tuition waiver for the sake of their ideals?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You guys are talking past each other; Titan, you're referring to a degree in Liberal Arts while Themius is referring to the broad category of degrees in liberal arts.
    Except it would be directly contradictory to Titan's narrative if he's only referring to one degree out of the whole lot.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    There is more to humans than being cogs for your god market.
    Then let them pay for it with their own money. There is more to to growing society than your feels.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Except it would be directly contradictory to Titan's narrative if he's only referring to one degree out of the whole lot.
    I'm just trying to parse the context here. It doesn't seem to me that they're referring to the same things. The term "liberal art education" is sufficiently broad to cover pretty much everything.

I think @TITAN308 should probably be referring to something more like "humanities degrees that I don't think much of".

- - - Updated - - -

Then let them pay for it with their own money. There is more to to growing society than your feels.
    I don't think this is a good plan from a traditionalist perspective. Great societies have always funded scholars in various arcane fields. Sometimes this is through the power of the Catholic Church, sometimes it's private philanthropy, and sometimes it's government. Of all the things that I think we probably shouldn't be spending government money on, I'm pretty much good with funding art history degrees. There's plenty I dislike and want to see reformed about academia and I would not like to extend "free" college to everyone, but I think our society will always be a better place if the genuinely brilliant are not limited by funds very much in scholarly work.

They aren't paying with their own money. There would be almost nobody going to university if you had to pay with your own money.

There is more to growing society than your own selfishness and unwillingness to help others. Look up where the word comes from (google translations of the Latin "societas")
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2017-02-11 at 04:34 PM.

I'm just trying to parse the context here. It doesn't seem to me that they're referring to the same things. The term "liberal art education" is sufficiently broad to cover pretty much everything.

I think @TITAN308 should probably be referring to something more like "humanities degrees that I don't think much of".

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think this is a good plan from a traditionalist perspective. Great societies have always funded scholars in various arcane fields. Sometimes this is through the power of the Catholic Church, sometimes it's private philanthropy, and sometimes it's government. Of all the things that I think we probably shouldn't be spending government money on, I'm pretty much good with funding art history degrees. There's plenty I dislike and want to see reformed about academia and I would not like to extend "free" college to everyone, but I think our society will always be a better place if the genuinely brilliant are not limited by funds very much in scholarly work.
    And I don't have a problem with philisopher-esque degrees. We should however be funding less of those and more of tradesmen.

There's nothing to parse here, except a conversative with liberalphobia.

The moment something has "liberal" as part of it's name or category and suddenly it's the end of the world and everything that's bad, even if it objectively isn't. That's what Trumpet conservatives are all about.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    They aren't paying with their own money. There would be almost nobody going to university if you had to pay with your own money.
    You should probably read more into a conversation than one quote. You are so far out of context there is really nothing that can be said.

- - - Updated - - -

The moment something has "liberal" as part of it's name or category and suddenly it's the end of the world and everything that's bad, even if it objectively isn't. That's what conservatives are all about.
    I'm not a conservative.

The moment something has "liberal" as part of it's name or category and suddenly it's the end of the world and everything that's bad, even if it objectively isn't. That's what conservatives are all about.
    This post is pretty funny. You get why, right?

Is it not true? There are plenty of "liberal arts" degrees out there that are constructive to society, but the moment Trumpets like Titan see "liberal" in it, it greatly triggers and distresses them.

P.S. This isn't his first time painting all liberal arts degrees with the same brush, you don't need to lower yourself just to blindly defend him.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-02-11 at 06:22 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nope, doesn't get it.

Is it not true? There are plenty of "liberal arts" degrees out there that are constructive to society, but the moment Trumpets like Titan see "liberal" in it, it greatly triggers and distresses them.

P.S. This isn't his first time painting all liberal arts degrees with the same brush, you don't need to lower yourself just to blindly defend him.
    The reason it's pretty funny is because you're talking about how someone just reflexively hates anything with the word "liberal" in it while horribly mischaracterizing this as being "what conservatives are all about". Simultaneously pointing out that it's bad to stupidly lump anything vaguely part of the opposition together while also lumping together anything that's vaguely part of the opposition is pretty funny.

The reason it's pretty funny is because you're talking about how someone just reflexively hates anything with the word "liberal" in it while horribly mischaracterizing this as being "what conservatives are all about". Simultaneously pointing out that it's bad to stupidly lump anything vaguely part of the opposition together while also lumping together anything that's vaguely part of the opposition is pretty funny.
    I left out a word, go back and check.

I am well aware that some conservatives are fine, like Skroe.

I guess it moves the needle a little, but the post remains pretty funny for pretty much the same reasons as before. It's still a big, "the people that oppose me are a stupid monolith". It doesn't match my experience at all.

Again, I'm not a conservative. Nor did I vote for Trump (not sure what the deal with the Trumpet insult is).

(protip: put the shovel down)
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-02-11 at 04:55 PM.

I guess it moves the needle a little, but the post remains pretty funny for pretty much the same reasons as before. It's still a big, "the people that oppose me are a stupid monolith". It doesn't match my experience at all.
    It's not so much as "the people that oppose me are a stupid monolith", but that I am just "calling eggs eggs".

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    At least this liberal idiot is honest. This is the exact thought process you have to get to in order to become a liberal. You basically have to become an economic terrorist. Work hard for something? Well, fuck you, other people deserve what you have even though they didn't have the motivation to go get it. Maybe one day you'll wipe the Cheeto dust off your fingers, make something for yourself, and then look at your pay stub to see where your money goes. Hint: tax increases rarely benefit those that contribute the most to the system.
    So if we are using trickle down economics then when does the trickle start? All the rich people at the top have all the money and we are just supposed to put them on a pedestal and worship them? I thought that we were going to give breaks to the rich so that with all their earned wealth they would be able to help fund some things for the poor? Or is this just reverse hourglass economics?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfang View Post
    So if we are using trickle down economics then when does the trickle start? All the rich people at the top have all the money and we are just supposed to put them on a pedestal and worship them? I thought that we were going to give breaks to the rich so that with all their earned wealth they would be able to help fund some things for the poor? Or is this just reverse hourglass economics?
    These people have a mythologized view of the rich as all hard working rustic dont tread on me rugged individuals. The reality is you make money in the modern economy through rent seeking not anything productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    At least this liberal idiot is honest. This is the exact thought process you have to get to in order to become a liberal. You basically have to become an economic terrorist. Work hard for something? Well, fuck you, other people deserve what you have even though they didn't have the motivation to go get it. Maybe one day you'll wipe the Cheeto dust off your fingers, make something for yourself, and then look at your pay stub to see where your money goes. Hint: tax increases rarely benefit those that contribute the most to the system.
    Hint those that pay the most also benefited the most from the society they partake in. But hey don't mind me, you might have missed the fine print there. It's a two way street, there's not a single person that becomes rich without benefiting from the society that allowed them the opportunity to do so.