Angry Violent Canadian cold front pounds North East US

18 inches of snow in 6 hours.

Stay safe.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-09-09-36-57

BOSTON (AP) -- A powerful, fast-moving storm swept into the Northeast on Thursday with the potential for more than a foot of snow along the heavily populated Philadelphia-to-Boston corridor, making for a slippery commute and giving millions of people weather whiplash a day after temperatures soared into the 50s and 60s.

Commuters faced windblown snow and slick highways. Forecasters said Thursday's weather had the potential to be the most powerful storm that some areas have seen in a mostly snow-free winter. Schools were closed in Albany, New York City, Philadelphia and Boston, numerous accidents were reported and more than 3,000 flights were canceled.

The National Weather Service predicted that the Boston area and eastern Maine could get 12 to 18 inches of snow, and a blizzard warning has been issued for all of Long Island until 6 p.m. New York City could see 8 to 12 inches and the Philadelphia area 4 to 8 inches. Near whiteout conditions were possible, with the snow expected to fall at a clip of 2 to 4 inches per hour at its peak.

Officials also warned of high winds, coastal flooding and possible power outages.

Massachusetts activated its emergency management bunker in Framingham, where Gov. Charlie Baker urged people to stay off the roads to allow plows and sanders to do their work.

Eastern Long Island braced for up to 16 inches of snow, with a potential for power outages. "The roads are in bad shape ... covered and icy," Suffolk County Police Commissioner Tim Sini said. He said snow was falling at up to 2 inches per hour and was expected to intensify.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said people should stay home.

"If you need to go out, please, don't use your car," de Blasio said on NY1 television.

In Manhattan, intrepid, bundled-up commuters carefully navigated snow-covered sidewalks and blowing snow stung any exposed skin.

Sam Lopresti, of Jersey City, New Jersey, warm and dry in his workplace, said he'd been pleasantly surprised that his early-morning train trip to Manhattan had gone smoothly.

"I fully expected the MTA and PATH to curl into a ball and say, 'Don't hurt me!'" joked Lopresti, an actor and barista.

Lopresti said weather forecasts had escalated from "a run of the mill snowstorm to an apocalyptic deal."

New Jersey's emergency management office reported about 50 accidents before midmorning, and that number was expected to grow.

State offices in New Jersey were closed, as were the courts in Massachusetts. Government offices in the Delaware, Bucks, Chester and Montgomery counties surrounding Philadelphia were also shuttered.

The storm comes a day after much of the Northeast enjoyed a brief glimpse of spring, with temperatures hitting 60 degrees in some places.

Thursday's storm was expected to last 6 to 10 hours, said Carl Erickson, a senior meteorologist with AccuWeather in State College, Pennsylvania.

The snow was expected taper off by the early afternoon in the Philadelphia and New York City areas, but New Englanders were bracing for snowfall through the evening commute.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Canada is attacking us with weather, better build a wall to shield us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Most Canadian weather is rapists, it pounds the US without consent

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Hehehe yup better do that

Must be some Muslim weather wizards conjuring foul magic against the US!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I think we should get reparations. This is Boston, it's like 400 miles from Canada, it's not on the border.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish Chicago got some snow. We had some snow back in December and haven't had any since

10+ Year Old Account
    over here it's at -10 got down to -25 last night. tomorrow it's expected to shoot up to above freezing again for the second time this week and the rest of this weekend.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

In before someone says something about Global Warming being a hoax!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think we should get reparations. This is Boston, it's like 400 miles from Canada, it's not on the border.
    Never knew you guys were driving on the left side of the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Never knew you guys were driving on the left side of the road.
    The negative was flipped.

-- Capt. Copeland

We got like 6

10+ Year Old Account
    couple inches here on Long Island. Nothing special.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Cool more traffic for us as people up North come down here to escape the winter.

I would take your snow from you in an instant if I could! This morning at 7 AM, the outside temperature read -27, with wind chill, it was -36. My dogs (one of which is an American Eskie) ran out the door, and immediately turned around and came right back in - wouldn't even leave the deck.

Bizarrely - the forecast is now calling for +2 on Saturday. This winter (and last as well) has just been wild - it's definitely hard on anyone with breathing problems (like my mother - COPD, asthma)

10+ Year Old Account
    I am glad I'm not the only one who wishes for snow.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish we could get some snow. =o[****