Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Company clarifies itself after Superbowl Ad (84 Lumber)

The CEO of the hardware company that injected itself into the national debate over immigration with an ambiguous yet polarizing Super Bowl commercial declared that she supports President Trump but didn’t intend to foster division with the ad.

Maggie Hardy Magerko, owner and CEO of 84 Lumber, told People magazine that she backs Trump’s proposed border wall with Mexico but didn’t intend to take a political stand with the emotional advertisement.

She acknowledged that the commercial’s message’s were “in the eyes of the beholder,” reflecting the broad range of reactions to the ad, including praise and criticism from immigration proponents and wall supporters alike.

“We need to keep America safe,” Magerko told People. “America needs to be safe so you and I can have the liberty to talk… The wall, I think it represents, to me, security. I like security.”

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...l-ad/97583534/
    Well one of two things happened in my opinion:

1.) It is as the CEO claims, non-politically motivated. (how a multi-billion dollar company and its marketing team would miss the perception of this is a bit beyond me however)

2.) Come Monday morning accounts were being closed by people who didn't like the message. aka Damage Control

Like in most instances we will probably never know the full truth, but it is interesting none the less. It can maybe make you ponder these companies that tug on the heart strings for the bottom dollar, but behind closed doors probably don't give a shit. In some cases it pans out, in others apparently it backfires.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-02-07 at 09:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty weak. They should have expected some blow back for it but they could have recovered if they stuck to their guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is she from the 1200s? Since when in modern life does a wall equal security? It didn't work for the Chinese so many years ago, why would it work now with far more sophisticated technology? I'll never understand this mentality....

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what was up to "interpretation" in the ad or what could possibly have been viewed as wall support, since I haven't seen a single comment online supporting the ad because they saw it as supporting the Wall. Its either been pro-immigration support or anti-immigration attacks, so I think it's pretty clear where the ad stands.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Pretty weak. They should have expected some blow back for it but they could have recovered if they stuck to their guns.
    Well the funny thing in all of this, by making this statement they are risking a shift in the pendulum from one spectrum to the other. The question is, which side spends more money with them? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Well the funny thing in all of this, by making this statement they are risking a shift in the pendulum from one spectrum to the other. The question is, which side spends more money with them? lol
    Fair point. I think the blow back just spooked them but really it goes away easily and all these "IMA BOYCOTT" people usually come back anyways. But hey not my company /shrug.

Damage control for sure. That was clearly a poke at illegal immigration. Of all the political leaning SB commercials that one was very clear.

It's too bad that they are trying to walk back on this, the commercial was great. I had issues with the shadows being on the wrong side of the wall, and the position of the Sun... but that's just my brain tugging at me. More than likely, they got screamed at by some of their xenophobic and conservative clients who were outraged that they would support such things.

On a side note, I'm not one to cater to hypocrites and xenophobes, so I would have told them to kick rocks.

Did not watch the Superbowl other than the halftime show, and that was only because it was on in the restaurant. But I heard it had a lot of political adds. I think it's a fucking retarded move for any company to get in politics, no matter what side you pick you're pissing off half the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Walls haven't kept people safe since the inception of military artillery.

Hell, they barely kept people safe before then.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Didn't mean to take a political stance? Then why bother even creating a commercial centered around a currently massive political topic? Lumber 84 knew exactly what they were doing, and now due to backlash are trying to do damage control, which will lead to more backlash from the opposite side. You cant ever make either side happy in politics, so if you don't want to have a political stance, then don't make a political commercial. Could have gone comical or informative with the commercial, rather than pick one of the most debated topics currently.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

I think it's a little ridiculous that people, CEOs or not, have to be worried about being publically harassed by the President on Twitter. Honestly, I'm surprised he hasn't blurted out something on there about this already. I understand the implications when it comes to business and needing to at least appear neutral for profit's sake as to not lose contracts, but never before has speaking out against the President or his policies led to flat out personal attacks and insults from whoever holds the office.

Edit: This is a little off topic, sorry OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Droodid View Post
    Didn't mean to take a political stance? Then why bother even creating a commercial centered around a currently massive political topic? Lumber 84 knew exactly what they were doing, and now due to backlash are trying to do damage control, which will lead to more backlash from the opposite side. You cant ever make either side happy in politics, so if you don't want to have a political stance, then don't make a political commercial. Could have gone comical or informative with the commercial, rather than pick one of the most debated topics currently.
    Yep if you are going to take a stance like that you better be prepared to weather the storm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes because an open door in the border wall doesn't mean that you're open to illegal immigration. Yup.

"Any press is good press."

-- Donald Trump

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    “We need to keep America safe,” Magerko told People. “America needs to be safe so you and I can have the liberty to talk… The wall, I think it represents, to me, security. I like security.”

This just in: Illegal entry of Mexicans cause Americans to be restricted in their speech.

This is some pretty poor damage control...

Anyways I'm not terribly shocked that 84 lumber is taking some financial hits from this. I wouldn't say their main customers were hipsters after all.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Walls haven't kept people safe since the inception of military artillery.

Hell, they barely kept people safe before then.
    Yup, because people already knew how to build ladders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Yup, because people already knew how to build ladders.
    I thought that little girl was going to weave a rope, fashion a grappling hook and climb over the wall, that would've been awesome.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Yes because an open door in the border wall doesn't mean that you're open to illegal immigration. Yup.
    Are you insinuating that anyone against the wall is for illegal immigration?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?