Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question about AP Refund in 7.2

Apologies if this has been answered already. I tried looking around and going back a few pages, and couldn't find any solid answers about it.

Basically, I have a question about how the Artifact weapons are going to be upgraded in 7.2 with the refund, and reduction of our 20 dump trait to just 1.

I know that traits 36-54 will be refunded. They also stated weapons would not be getting downgraded. But, I wonder if anyone knows about the actual upgrade they mentioned. I'm going to use dps traits, just because they're the easiest example.

At trait 35, I get 5% bonus damage. .5% every level after, until 14.5% at 54, right? So, if I'm at 35 when 7.2 happens, will my weapon be permanently locked at 5%, or will it boost up to 14.5% when 7.2 comes out, or will it stay at 5%? Or what about if I'm at 54/somewhere in between? Do I get permanently stuck at whatever % I was at before the drop, or are all relics regardless of trait made equivalent with the change, and having extra just means a headstart on the second AP grind?

I mainly ask because I took an extended break in the game, and although I can probably get my main's weapon to 54 in time, I wouldn't be so sure about any alts or off-specs, and I wonder if I (or any newer players for that matter) would by default be at a significant disadvantage just because I wasn't at 54 when 7.2 dropped

What do you mean locked at the %? The traits will be refunded (the AP). You can then spend those points on the new traits and the bonus damage after that. And what do the relics have to do with the refund? The relics are drops. They are adding a 4th relic slot. That is different than the new traits.
    Last edited by LongTimeCreeper; 2017-02-10 at 03:19 AM.

The last build changed it 36 points in 7.2 will = 54 points in 7.1.5

7+ Year Old Account
    ok so right now lets say you have 3 people

person A with 35
    person B with 54
    Person C with 30

after completing the quest, all points after 35 will be refunded
    you will keep the 35th trait that gives 5% damage
    but both players will also get a hidden buff, 10% damage, and 25% stam

so Player A who before only had 5% damage, now gets 15%
    and player B who before had 15% is unchanged, still 15%

but now player A, is at 35 points, and no longer has to work on paragon, instead they have a new talent line, that is "10% on a specific spell" and 3 others (differant per spec)

Player B has the same as player A, they now no longer have paragon points to work on, and all the AP they spent on paragon points are refunded (60 million i think at 54)
    and no has 60 million AP to put in the new talents, these new talents start at 3 mil, then 15 mil, then 18 mil, then 21 mil, etc

so player A, and player B both are now at 34 normal traits, and 1 paragon, thaty gives 5% damage
    however player A is stuck at 35 till they get more Ap
    well Player B is at 35, but has 60 million Ap that will most likley get them 3-4 talents of their choosing

also lets say a person C has 30 traits

if somone has 30 traits, they will go unneffected, however once they reach 34, they can put their 35th into paragon, and get 5%, they can then get a quest (out in the world as a 100% drop bassicly) that then when completyed unlocks the new talents, and the 10% damage and 25% stam
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-02-14 at 03:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Okay, thank you FelPlague! I had assumed that was how it was going to work, and getting 36+ would mainly just be a headstart for 7.2, but I wanted to make sure before I started grinding AP relentlessly.

@FelPlague

Thanks for the clarification! What about a scenario where Person C doesn't have the 35th trait? Let's say Person C has 30 traits - does he still get the 15% dmg buff and 25% stam buff once he reaches 35 traits, or is he at a permanent disadvantage compared to Person A and B?

I got a few alts i play, so i'm wondering if i should make an effort and get them to 35 before the patch.

If you are at 34 traits, you will receive a flat 15% damage buff so you're going to feel like you are at 54 traits

Quote Originally Posted by Razhiel View Post
    What about a scenario where Person C doesn't have the 35th trait? Let's say Person C has 30 traits - does he still get the 15% dmg buff and 25% stam buff once he reaches 35 traits, or is he at a permanent disadvantage compared to Person A and B?

I got a few alts i play, so i'm wondering if i should make an effort and get them to 35 before the patch.
    There is no permanent disadvantage, anyone that reaches 35 and does the quest to unlock the 7.2 traits gets the new bonus. If you are on 30 when 7.2 hits, you just won't be able to do it yet until you farm more AP.

Permanent character power differences based on when you did something would be terrible.

As others have said, the only advantage you get from farming more AP before 7.2 is having more AP refunded to spend on new 7.2 traits immediately (and of course doing more dps until 7.2 launches). There is no other advantage. Anyone can catch up to you by gathering more AP after 7.2 launched.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2017-02-10 at 10:29 AM.

@Nymrohd

Thanks, that clears it up

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Plus take into account the speed at which you will get to 35. Each new rank of artifact knowledge is a +100% increase over AK 25.
    Hm they increased the effect of AK over 25? Interesting. Even at the old rates, it would've gone up substantially on its way to 40.
    Edit: Oh the new ranks are additive not exponentially growing like the old ones used to, how boring.

Following the old ~25% per level exponential increase would've put Rank 40 at around 7500x multiplier (25 is 250x), the new ranks put it at 4000x. A bit more front-loaded but not quite as high in the end.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2017-02-10 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Hm they increased the effect of AK over 25? Interesting. Even at the old rates, it would've gone up substantially on its way to 40.
    Edit: Oh the new ranks are additive not exponentially growing like the old ones used to, how boring.

Following the old ~25% per level exponential increase would've put Rank 40 at around 7500x multiplier (25 is 250x), the new ranks put it at 4000x. A bit more front-loaded but not quite as high in the end.
    I'd place my bet on placeholder, though. Total AP needed to fully fill out the artifact in 7.2 is 4 billion. We'd never be able to finish with such tiny values.

100% multiplicatively would end you up with being able to finish it with only 50 10 AP-tokens, by the way.
    Last edited by huth; 2017-02-10 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yeah I edited the post to make it clear; every rank gives you an additional amount equal to what you have at rank 25 (so you get 16 times more AP by AK 40)
    I'd say you actually made it less clear now. I'd put it as simply "is an additive 25000% increase."

The way it's written now could easily be misread as going from AK 25 -> 26 gets you from 24900% to 25000%, which would just be completely silly.

On a somewhat related note, the total refunded AP from a level 54 artifact will allow you to acquire the grand total of 4 traits, one of which is probably going to be the big booster trait.
    Last edited by huth; 2017-02-10 at 11:55 AM.

Deleted
    As of now on the PTR, 35th point = +5% dmg/healing/armor
    36th point = +10% of whatever
    37th point = new trait or point in old trait

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I'd place my bet on placeholder, though. Total AP needed to fully fill out the artifact in 7.2 is 4 billion. We'd never be able to finish with such tiny values.
    4 Billion is roughly ~62 times more then the 65 Million a Rank 54 weapon requires, while the currently available AK info puts us at gaining 16x more then we do now (and my assumption of simply continuing the ~25% growth would've put us roughly at 32x), so it would take 4 times as long to finish as it did now - not quite impossible, but surely quite a grind.

We'll see how the AP requirements of the traits and the new AK levels get adjusted in the coming weeks on the PTR, but it does indeed not seem quite finished yet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razhiel View Post
    @FelPlague

Thanks for the clarification! What about a scenario where Person C doesn't have the 35th trait? Let's say Person C has 30 traits - does he still get the 15% dmg buff and 25% stam buff once he reaches 35 traits, or is he at a permanent disadvantage compared to Person A and B?

ok so if somone has 30 traits, they will go unneffected, however once they reach 34, they can put their 35th into paragon, and get 5%, they can then get a quest (out in the world as a 100% drop bassicly) that then when completyed unlocks the new talents, and the 10% damage and 25% stam

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    As of now on the PTR, 35th point = +5% dmg/healing/armor
    36th point = +10% of whatever
    37th point = new trait or point in old trait
    36th point is a "10% bonus on a specific spell" right now the 10% all damage and 25% stam is a placeholder
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

What I want to know if you do all weapons and get all the AP back, can you just dump all combined into one weapon? I have not seen anything about that yet. I would think Blizzard would state that somewhere.

No. The refunded artifact power will be on a per weapon basis and not grouped to be spent on a single weapon of your choosing.

Deleted
    Once you have got to 54 an you just keep collecting AP to use once the new traits are here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvib View Post
    Once you have got to 54 an you just keep collecting AP to use once the new traits are here?
    No, that won't be possible.

Deleted
    so there is no need to save up AP tokens in my bank?