Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Polls: Majorities or Pluralities Support ALL of Trump's Executive Orders

This so called resistance doesn't know how badly it's going to end for them in the 2018 Senate and House Elections. No poll yet on the law and order executive orders he just signed but still.

On top of that.

http://www.politico.com/f/?id=000001...a-bf78cc9d0001

58% of all voters want Democrats to find ways to work with Trump. Only 30% want complete obstructionism This includes cabinet appointments. This obstructionism on cabinet votes is going to bite all the Democrats in the ass: They won't stop ANYONE from being confirmed and it will blow up in their faces.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2017-02-10 at 12:47 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    This so called resistance doesn't know how badly it's going to end for them. No poll yet on the law and order executive orders he just signed but still.

On top of that.

58% of all voters want Democrats to find ways to work with Trump. Only 30% want complete obstructionism This includes cabinet appointments. This obstructionism on cabinet votes is going to bite all the Democrats in the ass: They won't stop ANYONE from being confirmed and it will blow up in their faces.

If there is one thing Democrats can learn from the Republicans: 8 years of obstructionism gets you the House, Senate and President. So why should they?

This so called resistance doesn't know how badly it's going to end for them. No poll yet on the law and order executive orders he just signed but still.

On top of that.

Republican obstructionism was unpopular, but in the end republicans got rewarded by it, so I don't really see a reason for them not to use it.

7+ Year Old Account
    If there is one thing Democrats can learn from the Republicans: 8 years of obstructionism gets you the House, Senate and President. So why should they?
    One thing they Demcorats should learn is that passing widespread healthcare reform, and doing it badly, after an economic crash and passing bailouts for the big banks makes them lose on every level.

80% of Americans loathed Congress for the Government shutdown and a majority found Republicans guilty.
    A majority, over 60% of Americans loathed the obstructionism on Garland.

You think the Republican party won this election because of obstruction? May I remind EVERYONE who the hell won the presidency AGAINST the wishes of the party he ran for?

TRUMP

Republican obstructionism was unpopular, but in the end republicans got rewarded by it, so I don't really see a reason for them not to use it.
    Rewarded? They got Donald Trump as the head of their party. If you think that's a reward for people like Ryan or McConnell you have no notion what you're talking about.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2017-02-10 at 12:22 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Because Democrats are not Republicans. The Republican base is loyal, shows up to vote and stable.

Meanwhile the Democratic base consists of the poor and lazy (yeah not all of them) and these people may or may not bother to vote.

My point? Things tend to backfire way harder on the Democrats.
    Last edited by sheggaro; 2017-02-10 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    Because Democrats are not Republicans. The Republican base is loyal, shows up to vote and stable.
    In other words, they vote for identity and not persons or issues.

Deleted
    This so called resistance doesn't know how badly it's going to end for them.
    It's called "judicial check of the executive power". People need to understand that they don't live on an authocratic republic, the "so called" Constitution is there for a reason.

"Still, Trump’s approval rating is sliding.

After two weeks in office, 47 percent of voters approved of his job performance, down 2 points from the previous week. At the same time, his disapproval rating rose 5 points, to 46 percent from 41 percent."

Oh dear.

This has to be the most important part. Basically, people who were previously on the fence are swarming in droves to show their disapproval of a fascist president.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    It's called "judicial check of the executive power". People need to understand that they don't live on an authocratic republic yet, the "so called" Constitution is there for a reason.
    fixed that for you

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing they Demcorats should learn is that passing widespread healthcare reform, and doing it badly, after an economic crash and passing bailouts for the big banks makes them lose on every level.

80% of Americans loathed Congress for the Government shutdown and a majority found Republicans guilty.
    A majority, over 60% of Americans loathed the obstructionism on Garland.

You think the Republican party won this election because of obstruction? May I remind EVERYONE who the hell won the presidency AGAINST the wishes of the party he ran for?

TRUMP

Rewarded? They got Donald Trump as the head of their party. If you think that's a reward for people like Ryan or McConnell you have no notion what you're talking about.
    They also won the house the senate and the supreme court will be packed for decades. This was of course a total win for both mcconell and ryan.

I lile that people are now arguing against obstruction as a valid political tool. Its humorous that it simple stops.being effective for dems and they really ought not to try.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2017-02-10 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    You realize the Republicans got very, very luck with some odd regional factors, right? That doesn't seem like a good plan for either side to model going forward.

Obviously what's being obstructed also matters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    In other words, they vote for identity and not persons or issues.
    Not quite, they do however tend to be strong in their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    I lile that people are now arguing against obstruction as a valid political tool.
    Yeah, it's always been a ridiculous argument. I don't know how anyone can say, "we won, so you have to implement what we want" with a straight face. No, that's not how the system works. That's not your opponent's job. Their job is to represent what they believe is in their constituent's best interests. Without impugning anyone's motives, the obvious implication of that is that Republicans will oppose a lot of Democratic legislation and vice versa. If you want to get things done as the majority (but not super-majority) party, you have to propose actual compromises that give your opponent something, not "compromises" that amount to, "well, we'll just take less of what we want and you still get nothing".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    "going to end for them"? What the hell is this? A threat that you will silence, evict or possibly incarcerate half of your own population? What happend to "The land of the free"?
    Going to end for them in losing badly in the 2018 elections in the House, Senate and on a local level: State Legislatures and Governships.

Check out of the Virginia Governor's race due this year.

I lile that people are now arguing against obstruction as a valid political tool. Its humorous that it simple stops.being effective for dems and they really ought not to try.
    I never argued for obstructionism, I thought it was incredibly harmful and still do regardless of which side does it.

Also this doesn't just affect the fucking US. This radical obstructionism affects the entire global economy.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2017-02-10 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    "going to end for them"? What the hell is this? A threat that you will silence, evict or possibly incarcerate half of your own population? What happend to "The land of the free"?
    I'm pretty sure he's just saying it'll cost them seats in 2018. Don't overthink it.

Deleted
    I never argued for obstructionism, I thought it was incredibly harmful and still do regardless of which side does it.

Also this doesn't just affect the fucking US. This radical obstructionism affects the entire global economy.
    That could also be said of Trump Admin insistence of not accepting the courts decisions and rewrite a better EO and go through the Congress.

Deleted
    3 out 11 above 50 % isn't exactly the best, for someone that is supposed to represent all the US people and their interest.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    That could also be said of Trump Admin insistence of not accepting the courts decisions and rewrite a better EO and go through the Congress.
    He accepted the court's ruling and followed the Temporary Restraining Order on the Travel Ban, but it's a temporary decision. He could withdraw the EO sure and issue a better written one, but why do so when he can still win in court?

Until he has a definitive ruling on it, and there is none right now, he's going to fight in courts. Because he won't lose in the public eye on this one.

3 out 11 above 50 % isn't exactly the best, for someone that is supposed to represent all the US people and their interest.
    All of them are close to 50% with plenty of undecided people. Only 3 executive orders with more then 40% approval: ACA, Abortion Ban and the Wall.

Deleted
    He accepted the court's ruling and followed the Temporary Restraining Order on the Travel Ban, but it's a temporary decision. He could withdraw the EO sure and issue a better written one, but why do so when he can still win in court?
    Yep, it's all about "winning". Withdrawing the EO and writing a better one take less time and money than pushing the case in the courts, but Trump is all about "winning".

Is that also obstructionism?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR;[U
    44535755]All of them are close to 50% with plenty of undecided people. Only 3 executive orders with more then 40% approval: ACA, Abortion Ban and the Wall.
    That is true, but again it isn't exactly good. You'd want broader support than what amounts to just your voting base.