What is the current status of the Rogue class?

I'm looking to plan an alt finally in Legion. I've got my main (a monk) all caught up and now he's just waiting for content. So I'm looking around in raids and I'm noticing a profound absence of rogues. Is that just anecdotal or are rogues not being played very much right now? I kinda want to play one just for that alone.

Also, how are they doing right now in terms of damage in raids? Which spec should I go with?

First: choose a spec

Second: drop the right legendarys

Third: pray to blizzard so your spec get buffed on the mid of the content because you are underperforming.

The end.

I've played monk this entire expansion and made a switch to Outlaw a month or so ago. I haven't really had any issues competing with the other classes, and if the stars align i will pull ahead from everyone else.
    Assassination can easily outdamage most classes with a stable and reliable damage output.
    Subtlety currently has a few elements i don't like so i haven't invested so much time into, although thats subject to change in the next patch. And given the changes i think they will definitely see a big boost in player numbers as viability becomes more rock solid.

I play a rogue as an alt, monk main, I was playing assassin cause its the "top spec" but I just can't stand playing around surge of toxins and hoping that BoT procs. Damage wise I was keeping up with everyone else.

Then last week I switched to Sub. I don't have any spec specific legendaries, using shoulders and Insignia ring, and I'm loving sub so much more than Sin. Doing equal dps to sin, sometimes beating my old number on bosses. This week I logged 100% on heroic Gul'dan for my current ilvl, and was the top sub rogue for it in all regions, never came close as sin for any fight.

So, go with which spec you enjoy the most, if you like playing it, you will do good cause you'll probably care more. At least thats how it works for me.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

wanted to be outlaw soooo bad...

first legendary: Dreadlord's Deceit.... (effect doesn't work for outlaw)

well looks like i'm rolling sub or sin

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post

well looks like i'm rolling sub or sin
    Aka your loot spec was not on outlaw.

Deleted
    Really wanted a Mercedes, had money for it but bought a BMW.
    Smart.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 1i3t0 View Post
    Really wanted a Mercedes, had money for it but bought a BMW.
    Smart.
    ok that made my laugh in class, i should really pay attention to the teacher instead of scrolling through mmoc.

Outlaw is great, i just want to have more 4+ rolls in boss fights, then it shines, but that barely happens. Assa is boring spec which also depends on procs but noone tells you that at the beginning

Assass rng is the reason im now playing outlaw after strictly playing assass since tannaan. Its not as rng dependent but at least outlaw has SOME control over it.

Everyone is on farm and i havent seen the specs so close all xpac, just unfortunately we dont know who will pull ahead for tomb. At this moment at least you really can just play what you want.

Cant speak for sub. Imo the randomness of outlaw is infinitely more fun than the monotonous tracking that is assass.

Deleted
    Assass rng is the reason im now playing outlaw after strictly playing assass since tannaan. Its not as rng dependent but at least outlaw has SOME control over it.
    The biggest variance i personally saw on my Assa parses is bomb doing from 7 to 17% damage.
    The biggest variance i personally saw on my Outlaw parses is rolling true bearing during the fight 0 times and then rolling a couple of sht 2 buffs when AR was up which i re-rolled. You can guess the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman001 View Post
    I'm looking to plan an alt finally in Legion. I've got my main (a monk) all caught up and now he's just waiting for content. So I'm looking around in raids and I'm noticing a profound absence of rogues.
    This should be a hint.

Some players will argue rogues have a great toolkit, that they bring valuable assets to your raid.

I dont like to play the half assed, "utility" class, like many other players (probably the main reason you dont see many rogues) but to each his own i suppose.

This should be a good example:

Final fight of a mythic raid. Yes, two rogues in the raid, for soaking purpose.
    Last edited by Cyanix; 2017-06-01 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by permp View Post
    First: choose a spec

Second: drop the right legendarys

Third: pray to blizzard so your spec get buffed on the mid of the content because you are underperforming.

The end.
    You... know it doesn't affect your chances of getting a legendary when you play in or assign your loot spec as outlaw.. Right?

Oh for sure. I meant assass has some rng not that outlaw has less by any means. sorry if i wasnt very clear. It was early.

Quote Originally Posted by Fxn View Post
    You... know it doesn't affect your chances of getting a legendary when you play in or assign your loot spec as outlaw.. Right?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you get a legendary drop that is spec specific, it doesn't reset your "increased legendary drop chance" for your other specs. So if you get a sub specific legendary, and switch loot spec to outlaw, the legendary drop system sees you as having not gotten that legendary.
    Hope that makes sense.