Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    My experience has definitely improved, I don't know if my company is screening them better or what, but we've gotten a pretty good crop.

I know we have been scrubbing applicants using their social media, so we don't have too many special snowflakes complaining about everything they don't like roaming around.
    This is one of the real upsides to the new generation - the assholes go out of their way to tell the entire world that they're assholes! They do it proudly! Makes them easy for employers and landlords to sort out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I always thought kids in the mid 80s to mid 90s was generation Y and millennials was kids born after 96
    This was the terminology, then somewhere along the line they decided that "generation Y" wasn't big enough, at only spanning about 10 years of birth years, so they lumped them in with millennials.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is one of the real upsides to the new generation - the assholes go out of their way to tell the entire world that they're assholes! They do it proudly! Makes them easy for employers and landlords to sort out.
    It's definitely easier from the recruiting standpoint.

the worst thing I've run into are millenials who get mad that they can't get days off at a drop of a hat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Can boomers just fuck off and die already?
    Nope, they're going to fuck up before they fuck off.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    They are all the same, just wear different shirts...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

So, using the false definition of millenials people seem to cling to (only people like 18-21) Then I guess I just about fit into that category, I have had a job for almost a year now and took 3 days off because of my grandmother passing away. I also finish my job usually 30 minutes ahead of time and clock out no matter how little I work
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Have been working for 7 years now and Ehm I guess it's nice. Good pay 35 payed days of vacation per year and nice bonuses. Work hard play hard, kinda shirty when you get stuck in a project with old people who can't even use Google docs or other simple programs though

Obviously it depends on the job but I find the 50+ crowd to be the worst. They're usually very stubborn and pull the "it isn't my job" card. At my job management always bothers the younger supervisors with more projects and helping other supervisors while the older supervisors always need help and just complain about how they expect too much.

Deleted
    Millennials are great, they've no hope right from the very start, they don't complain about fairness and rights like those darn Gen Y'ers! Just apathy and pliableness for days.

(This hilarious stereotype of millennials has been happily propagated by the most narcissistic generation ever to grace the planet, I watched tv in the 90's I know who was running the show. And it's so deliciously ironic)

The impression I've been treated to is that millennials are goddamn happy to work. Because the hiring process has been a journey from hell while their parents have happily chirped that they're just not trying hard enough while I know how slowly implemented corporate policies have screwed 80% of the applicants and the rest are just lucky for an interview.

The generation before them, boy oh boy, whining and 'not my problem' attitudes everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    We have non millennials on here? That's kind of strange isn't it?
    Why would it be strange tennisace?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Are you sure about this?
    I have never seen an MMO-C census and doubt we ever will, but I would bet good money on a majority of this site falling in the 18-35 age range.

I know MMO players tend to run a bit older than say the moba crowd, but I think 35+ would not be the norm.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    They have at least basic understanding of tech/ pcs. Everything else varies wildly person to person.Some ar brilliant some are morons, some are dicks some are too kind for their own good etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

I'm in my 30s. I find workers of around my age to be much more pleasant to deal with as they are, for the most part, more polite and understanding. Better than dealing with some entitled ass boomer thinking they were god's gift to the economy and that millennials ruined everything.

Some of the issues with Millenials are cultural, and some have to do with where technology puts us today. None of these issues make them undesireable as people, but rather are markers that tend to stand out.

For technology Cell Phones are an issue. Those however extends to all generations who are using the new smart phones every day but the Millenials tend to stand out more in the workplace. That being that they seem to be glued to their phones at all times, unable to be bored for a moment or disconnect from their personal contacts. Many employees get fired because of a phone addiction, especially in fields where they are expected to be busy at all times, like production, service or even office personnel jobs. A Boss gets frustrated and at times furious to see shit not getting done and the employee finger banging their phone. In office situations any moment that gives a second they will be found on their phones, like before a meeting starts. Older generations will use that time to talk about life, "Bob, hows your mom doing after her surgery? Jenn, did you finish that project? I could help if you want." and the Millenial will sit there in silence while texting.

As for other issues is that Millenials want to have a job where they have 'high impact' and tend to quit jobs that they feel they are not making enough of an impact several months later. Previous generations understood that they had to earn high impact positions with years of dedication to that job or that their jobs may never be impactful but they paid the bills. Not having enough impact may also be merely an opinion and not a reality, perhaps they do hold down an important position that is noteworthy but if it doesn't satisfy their personal brand of 'high impact' then they lose interest and quit.

There are also issues in the work place that Millenials expect raises because they are on time every day and do 100% of their job but employers are looking to give raises to people who go above and beyond what is expected of an employee. How did you save the company money? Did you figure out a way to make the job more efficient? Did you figure out how to cut waste in some new way? These are things that employers are looking for when they give out raises.

I've personally never been a fan of new age parenting techniques, from helicopter moms who fly in to yell at a teacher for their kid earning and F on a test to rewarding children for showing up to an event rather than winning. It has caused many social issues, but I also understand that Millenials are also products of the work force environment, an environment that has failed them unlike any generation before. It use to be that you only worked service jobs as a teen and around 18 you moved into blue collar production jobs or off to skilled labor jobs. It was always up from there, Baby Boomers also worked for one employer for their whole lives and got promised retirement benefits because frankly, employers never thought the majority of them would live long enough to see those benefits as with the advances in medicine their lives were extended.
    With all the production leaving for China, (where Chinese laborers make $1.25 an hour with no benefits, no health care, 14 hours days 7 days a week with no vacation or 401k) the step after service jobs has been ripped out of the American economy and now people work in service jobs into their 40's or later. Very few young people see the benefit in learning a skilled trade like plumber or electrician. The only work for you average high school graduate is laying tar on highways and serving people food in restaurants. We have become an economy that survives by feeding the people who live here. No high school student dreams of graduating so one day they can lay hot tar on highways in the summers.

The previous two generations have failed the Millenials and they adapted to survive, like living at home with parents into their 30's. In the 90's generation X tended to run off to college or production jobs at 18. Corporate fucks decided they liked the taste of cheap Chinese/Mexican labor and those jobs are never coming back to the states no matter what any politician promises you. There is no way Corporations will ever return to paying $8/hour + benefits +safety requirements when they can pay $1.25 an hour and nothing else. It is so cheap it is cheaper to make it there and ship it across half the planets oceans then it is to make it here and drive it down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teevo View Post
    I'm in my 30s. I find workers of around my age to be much more pleasant to deal with as they are, for the most part, more polite and understanding. Better than dealing with some entitled ass boomer thinking they were god's gift to the economy and that millennials ruined everything.
    You are allowing your generational preference to direct your viewpoint. You are more likely to see your fellow millennials as pleasant because you are one, just like boomers are more likely to find boomers to be more pleasant and your generation to be intolerable. Neither of you are intolerable, but your perceptions guide you in a way to approve of people like you and disapprove of people unlike you.

As a Generation X I can see that the Millenials and Boomers dislike for each other is practically unnecessary and merely looking to brand someone unlike them as the bad guys and cause of all the worlds problems.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

I looked up a few articles trying to pinpoint the age range for millennials. From past age polls on this forum, most of the users on this forum would be millennials.

1980 to 1994/5/6 are the general date ranges among most researchers.

I recall specifically a number of users on this forum being born in the 1990s. So where is the wealth of people supposedly my age (born in the 1970s) having a hardy laugh at stuff as in the OP video on the MMO Champion Video Game Forums?

It's kinda hard to say since I, as a guy in his early thirties, am considered a millennial along with the new 18-year-old hire.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Some of the issues with Millenials are cultural, and some have to do with where technology puts us today. None of these issues make them undesireable as people, but rather are markers that tend to stand out.

For technology Cell Phones are an issue. Those however extends to all generations who are using the new smart phones every day but the Millenials tend to stand out more in the workplace. That being that they seem to be glued to their phones at all times, unable to be bored for a moment or disconnect from their personal contacts. Many employees get fired because of a phone addiction, especially in fields where they are expected to be busy at all times, like production, service or even office personnel jobs. A Boss gets frustrated and at times furious to see shit not getting done and the employee finger banging their phone. In office situations any moment that gives a second they will be found on their phones, like before a meeting starts. Older generations will use that time to talk about life, "Bob, hows your mom doing after her surgery? Jenn, did you finish that project? I could help if you want." and the Millenial will sit there in silence while texting.

As for other issues is that Millenials want to have a job where they have 'high impact' and tend to quit jobs that they feel they are not making enough of an impact several months later. Previous generations understood that they had to earn high impact positions with years of dedication to that job or that their jobs may never be impactful but they paid the bills. Not having enough impact may also be merely an opinion and not a reality, perhaps they do hold down an important position that is noteworthy but if it doesn't satisfy their personal brand of 'high impact' then they lose interest and quit.

There are also issues in the work place that Millenials expect raises because they are on time every day and do 100% of their job but employers are looking to give raises to people who go above and beyond what is expected of an employee. How did you save the company money? Did you figure out a way to make the job more efficient? Did you figure out how to cut waste in some new way? These are things that employers are looking for when they give out raises.

I've personally never been a fan of new age parenting techniques, from helicopter moms who fly in to yell at a teacher for their kid earning and F on a test to rewarding children for showing up to an event rather than winning. It has caused many social issues, but I also understand that Millenials are also products of the work force environment, an environment that has failed them unlike any generation before. It use to be that you only worked service jobs as a teen and around 18 you moved into blue collar production jobs or off to skilled labor jobs. It was always up from there, Baby Boomers also worked for one employer for their whole lives and got promised retirement benefits because frankly, employers never thought the majority of them would live long enough to see those benefits as with the advances in medicine their lives were extended.
    With all the production leaving for China, (where Chinese laborers make $1.25 an hour with no benefits, no health care, 14 hours days 7 days a week with no vacation or 401k) the step after service jobs has been ripped out of the American economy and now people work in service jobs into their 40's or later. Very few young people see the benefit in learning a skilled trade like plumber or electrician. The only work for you average high school graduate is laying tar on highways and serving people food in restaurants. We have become an economy that survives by feeding the people who live here. No high school student dreams of graduating so one day they can lay hot tar on highways in the summers.

The previous two generations have failed the Millenials and they adapted to survive, like living at home with parents into their 30's. In the 90's generation X tended to run off to college or production jobs at 18. Corporate fucks decided they liked the taste of cheap Chinese/Mexican labor and those jobs are never coming back to the states no matter what any politician promises you. There is no way Corporations will ever return to paying $8/hour + benefits +safety requirements when they can pay $1.25 an hour and nothing else. It is so cheap it is cheaper to make it there and ship it across half the planets oceans then it is to make it here and drive it down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

You are allowing your generational preference to direct your viewpoint. You are more likely to see your fellow millennials as pleasant because you are one, just like boomers are more likely to find boomers to be more pleasant and your generation to be intolerable. Neither of you are intolerable, but your perceptions guide you in a way to approve of people like you and disapprove of people unlike you.

As a Generation X I can see that the Millenials and Boomers dislike for each other is practically unnecessary and merely looking to brand someone unlike them as the bad guys and cause of all the worlds problems.
    definitely agree on the phone thing, it's gotten so bad that my company adopted a Zero tolerance policy for it. Unless you are on break in the break room while on your phone, you will get one written warning, and then fired.

In my experience, they are great to work with because they have a lot of talents and good vibes to share with us older ones if I may say

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teevo View Post
    This. Boomers are an absolute nightmare to employ because they're so precious and so intransigent.

Millennials are generally more adaptable and flexible. The issue is that they don't as readily buy into things like standard hours or workplace policies that don't make sense - if you can really call that an issue, since they tend to be vastly more productive and less likely to take time off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I looked up a few articles trying to pinpoint the age range for millennials. From past age polls on this forum, most of the users on this forum would be millennials.

1980 to 1994/5/6 are the general date ranges among most researchers.

I recall specifically a number of users on this forum being born in the 1990s. So where is the wealth of people supposedly my age (born in the 1970s) having a hardy laugh at stuff as in the OP video on the MMO Champion Video Game Forums?
    I am a Gen X born in 75, my brother was born in 78 but he associates with Millenials, he was the first generation to Grind on the dancefloor, first generation to join the military and move back in my parents after service until 30, married with children at 30, first real permanent career job at 35. In comparison I was out at 18, college while working, first apartment at 18, first house at 22, production job at 20, career at 25, Married at 20, child at 26. He also married someone who is 12 years his junior, I married someone my age.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.