Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Only 8 years? What the fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    She could have been voting against trump in the republican primary. Many folks just wanted trump to not get the nomination under any means, just saying. She could have also voted in the democratic primary as well. Covered all the bases : )

In any event 8 years does seem excessive but perhaps it's because there were multiple times she voted. Maybe if it was isolated to one time would have been a lot less.
    The "multiple times" did not occur in a single election. She voted five times between 2012 and 2014 (including primary and general elections). And, according to her lawyer, she voted for Romney in 2012 and the Republican AG who prosecuted her in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    She could have been voting against trump in the republican primary. Many folks just wanted trump to not get the nomination under any means, just saying. She could have also voted in the democratic primary as well. Covered all the bases : )

In any event 8 years does seem excessive but perhaps it's because there were multiple times she voted. Maybe if it was isolated to one time would have been a lot less.
    She was arrested in 2015...she didn't vote for any of the republican nominees this cycle.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I wonder how many people will knee-jerk respond to this about the necessity of "poll IDs" (meant to disenfranchise liberal voters) without reading that the woman voted in the republican primaries.
    Does it matter? She did something illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

7+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how many people will knee-jerk respond to this about the necessity of "poll IDs" (meant to disenfranchise liberal voters) without reading that the woman voted in the republican primaries.
    Canada has an incredibly comprehensive list of types of identification that are permissible. There's no reason why the U.S. couldn't implement a system that is similar to Canada's.

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx...t=index&lang=e

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    A lot of voters are unable to afford an ID, and would likely lose their jobs if they took time off to get one. Perfectly legal US citizens.
    Then use a system similar to Canada (linked below). The idea of voters requiring IDs isn't an issue if you have a properly comprehensive list.

Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    8 years is overboard IMO. A super hefty fine would get the point across more effectively, the punishment is meant to be used for rehabilitation...8 years for something like this is a little ridiculous. But if that's what the law says, I guess she's screwed, I just don't think the punishment makes sense for the crime.
    There are people who are willing to pay fines for you, not much of a deterrent

Voter fraud is voter fraud irregardless of what party you supported.

7+ Year Old Account
    Erm, I doubt you would meet many people who would respond by saying "yeah, let it be legal for Republicans to vote multiple times." I'm sure they exist, but your point is a little weak.

8 years for a nonviolent crime with no specific victim is pretty crazy.

Was stoning on the public square not a sentence option? Good thing I wasn't on the jury.

Deleted
    Yuck, is this how news are presented in your country?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Erm, I doubt you would meet many people who would respond by saying "yeah, let it be legal for Republicans to vote multiple times." I'm sure they exist, but your point is a little weak.
    A common talking point about the necessity of voter I.Ds is to "keep illegal immigrants from voting (presumably for democrats,)" despite the fact that voter fraud has happened only 150 times in the past ten years across all of the United States. And, because people usually don't read anything past the thread headline, much less the contained article, I was indeed expecting the usual suspects to come in blurting about how illegal immigrants are ruining democracy along with their liberal handlers.

So I simply find it an interesting notion that this individual was neither an illegal immigrant, nor did they vote for a democrat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Canada has an incredibly comprehensive list of types of identification that are permissible. There's no reason why the U.S. couldn't implement a system that is similar to Canada's.

You don't get it. The people sponsoring voter ID laws in the US don't want to make it easier for people to vote. They want to make it harder for the people who don't side with their political ideals to vote (also see gerrymandering.) Hence the issue with it. Courts have found numerous times that Voter ID law intent has been specifically to disenfranchise voters.

All in all, voter ID laws in the United States are poorly-hidden attempts to disenfranchise voters under the guise of treating a problem that does not exist.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    A common talking point about the necessity of voter I.Ds is to "keep illegal immigrants from voting (presumably for democrats,)" despite the fact that voter fraud has happened only 150 times in the past ten years across all of the United States. And, because people usually don't read anything past the thread headline, much less the contained article, I was indeed expecting the usual suspects to come in blurting about how illegal immigrants are ruining democracy along with their liberal handlers.

So I simply find it an interesting notion that this individual was neither an illegal immigrant, nor did they vote for a democrat.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't get it. The people sponsoring voter ID laws in the US don't want to make it easier for people to vote. They want to make it harder for the people who don't side with their political ideals to vote (also see gerrymandering.) Hence the issue with it. Courts have found numerous times that Voter ID law intent has been specifically to disenfranchise voters.

All in all, voter ID laws in the United States are poorly-hidden attempts to disenfranchise voters under the guise of treating a problem that does not exist.
    Even if some moron came in here going "darned libruls and their voter fraud," that wouldn't prove any point about voter fraud. This singular documented voter fraud does not prove or disprove any correlation when it comes to voting patterns of those committing the crime.

I don't find it interesting at all that this person committing a crime happened to be Republican. It's one example out of one, with nothing to compare.

edit: Also, I think photo ID should be mandatory for voting, and I'm not a Republican. However, I also think everyone is entitled to that identification without paying out of their own pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    There are people who are willing to pay fines for you, not much of a deterrent
    True, a fine may not be the best way given that you can get the funds from someone else, was just thinking a personal burden would be a better punishment than having her waste away in a prison for 8 years wasting even more taxpayer dollars for a totally innocuous crime. If anything, this just points out a weakness in the voting system that needs to be corrected. Not exactly sure what's the best punishment, but sending her to prison for 8 years being taken care of by taxpayer dollars sure doesn't seem to be the best option.