90hz Overclocking

I am running a GTX 1070 at 1440p 60hz, would overclocking my monitor to 90hz be at all worth it? Would it make any difference visually?

The difference is noticeable, but note that overclocking your monitor (assuming it can even get to 90Hz) will usually prevent Nvidia gpus from clocking down/reducing power draw.

For some reason, since switching to Windows 10 Pro my nvidia card hasn't been downclocking in WoW. With Windows 10 Home it would downclock to 880mhz but now it just runs at boost mode speed. Anyone else notice this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apluscarp View Post
    I am running a GTX 1070 at 1440p 60hz, would overclocking my monitor to 90hz be at all worth it? Would it make any difference visually?
    In short, Yes. I have my monitor overclocked and running steady at 105hz and the difference between 60 and 105 is night and day. 90hz will be much of the same. As Hextor said, you may not be able to overclock your particular monitor that much. Even if the Nvidia control panel accepts the change and everything looks okay, test it in a game to see if your monitor starts acting up. If it does, lower it a few hz until it becomes stable again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyocere View Post
    In short, Yes. I have my monitor overclocked and running steady at 105hz and the difference between 60 and 105 is night and day. 90hz will be much of the same. As Hextor said, you may not be able to overclock your particular monitor that much. Even if the Nvidia control panel accepts the change and everything looks okay, test it in a game to see if your monitor starts acting up. If it does, lower it a few hz until it becomes stable again.
    What monitor goes to 105 hz overclocked? Apart from some direct imports from Korea - with all the warranty implications - I have to find anything labeled 60 hz that goes reliably higher than 75.

the difference between 96 and 60 is.. personal. to me, it is super noticeable. not quite 30 to 60 fps standards, but it adds a very nice smoothness that is just sweet. definitely makes me curious to see a 144hz monitor

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Which monitor do you have? If your monitor came to you set at 60 Hz it most likely can't do 90. Some monitors are even hard-locked to the setting that they were sent with.

I remember when I tried overclocking some of my monitors and the ones that allowed it QUICKLY lost detail and image quality.

In short: most likely, not worth it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    What monitor goes to 105 hz overclocked? Apart from some direct imports from Korea - with all the warranty implications - I have to find anything labeled 60 hz that goes reliably higher than 75.
    Exactly that lol. I have the QNIX QX2710LED.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyocere View Post
    Exactly that lol. I have the QNIX QX2710LED.
    Thank you.

Was somewhat tempted by the Qnix as well, but went for a locally available 21:9 instead. Still not sure if it was the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    the difference between 96 and 60 is.. personal. to me, it is super noticeable. not quite 30 to 60 fps standards, but it adds a very nice smoothness that is just sweet. definitely makes me curious to see a 144hz monitor
    I have a dual monitor setup, a 60hz and a 144hz, both 1080p. i tried gaming on the 60hz one, just to see what it's like and after 144hz - it feels almost stuttery. 30 fps is horrdenous. It depends on the game though, WoW can get away with it, Overwatch and Battlefield 1 feel horrible.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day