Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking to reroll shadow priest

Hi! I'm looking to reroll shadow priest as my current main has received some of the worst legendaries possible for her class. Instead of rolling the same class again, I wanted to try shadow priest to fill an ST hole in my guild. What are the benefits to being a shadow priest? Disadvantages? How is the dps looking? What are the good and bad parts of the rotation? It would be really nice to know some of this stuff before I make make my decision

(I know class trials exist but some classes have very different feels based on stats so they aren't always the most accurate)
    Thanks!

Deleted
    What is your main? And if by ST you mean single target... definately dont go shadow, we are one of the weakest classes when it comes to that, probably on par with fire mages.

Shadow atm is nothing special, doesnt suck, but its not really OP or close to anything really OP. It pretty much depends on what you plan to do tho. If you going to clear 10/10 mythic NH pretty soon then I guess it might be worth since shadow is good on last bosses there, otherwise dont bother because in the first 5 shadow is nothing but average.

And also keep in mind that shadow is harder on average to play than most classes. Right now if i had to suggest a dps, id go dh/ww/dk/retri/war, they all better than shadow on average (from low m+ to high m+, from normal/hc to mythic). Sadly legion so far favors melee over ranged... if you really want a ranged i guess they all pretty on par tho, i wouldnt consider shadow better than mages or lock or even ele shaman atm and balance.

nope we are good in st but it requires time to get used to and be a good spriest its not easy class to play and alot of ppl start spriest and create bad reputation . and now its really hard to find mythic+ group or even raid cos of them

Currently I'm maining mut rogue. I have no preference melee vs ranged and have a healer friend to get me into pugs. I think that I will try shadow, but I guess that now I'm wondering what other classes compete in st?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rinelki View Post
    What is your main? And if by ST you mean single target... definately dont go shadow, we are one of the weakest classes when it comes to that, probably on par with fire mages.

Shadow atm is nothing special, doesnt suck, but its not really OP or close to anything really OP. It pretty much depends on what you plan to do tho. If you going to clear 10/10 mythic NH pretty soon then I guess it might be worth since shadow is good on last bosses there, otherwise dont bother because in the first 5 shadow is nothing but average.

And also keep in mind that shadow is harder on average to play than most classes. Right now if i had to suggest a dps, id go dh/ww/dk/retri/war, they all better than shadow on average (from low m+ to high m+, from normal/hc to mythic). Sadly legion so far favors melee over ranged... if you really want a ranged i guess they all pretty on par tho, i wouldnt consider shadow better than mages or lock or even ele shaman atm and balance.
    ^ This x1000.

Been playing shadow and pulling big numbers when helping other guilds. It looks amazing on meters but it's pretty average when competing against the more versatile classes. I keep hearing how it's great for single target, but really, it's nothing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hypsi View Post
    nope we are good in st but it requires time to get used to and be a good spriest its not easy class to play and alot of ppl start spriest and create bad reputation . and now its really hard to find mythic+ group or even raid cos of them
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/11#boss=1842
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...2&difficulty=4
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...2&difficulty=3

Krosus, which is pretty much a ST boss on any difficulty, and we're bottom of the charts always. ST we're not good... we're pretty much shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by acommadia View Post
    Currently I'm maining mut rogue. I have no preference melee vs ranged and have a healer friend to get me into pugs. I think that I will try shadow, but I guess that now I'm wondering what other classes compete in st?
    I dont understand... why on earth would you want to play shadow for ST when you already play the strongest ST class? For ST rogue, war, dh and enha shamans are by far the best ones.

Quote Originally Posted by acommadia View Post
    Hi! I'm looking to reroll shadow priest as my current main has received some of the worst legendaries possible for her class.
    If that's the only reason then be prepared for some disappointment.

I cant say anything about raiding (because i dont raid anymore) but dont pick him if you want to do a lot m+ (especially if lower ones). Every class is able to succeed in m+ - but shadow priest is definately not the best. The ramp up time, only few instacasts, unforgiving rotation (you have to move while in voidform? Ohhh too bad for you!) and lacking burst is a real letdown for me. If you really like the flair of a shadow priest, one can still be happy, no doubt, but number wise, nearly everything else is better.

Deleted
    Ok, I think most of the posts here aren´t too positive about the current state of Spriest, so here´s my opinion:

In a raiding environment, we´re up there with fury warriors, dks and dhs, we are not as OP as we were with StM, but really the only fight where we cant pull huge numbers is Krosus, thanks to being (almost) pure ST. So if ST is your goal, don´t go shadow, take one of the above. Shadow is insane on some fights (Elisande, Botanist, Star Augur P3) and very good to decent on the others. But be prepared to invest yourself if you played a rogue before, I don´t know if you do have any ranged experience, but it´s a whole different thing and shadow also isn´t the easiest of them.

So now M+...

Everybody is ranting about how bad shadow is in lower keys, and yes, they are probably right, from +2 to +9 you won´t be doing as good as fire mages or dhs but frankly, you don´t need to. We shine in higher keys, when you coordinate with your group and maybe have a good legendary or two. It also is true that shadow has a very bad reputation in M+ and is often declined in random groups, so I wouldn´t advise you to reroll to shadow if you are planning on gearing via group finder, that´s not going to work. Shadow in M+ only makes sense if you play with people you know and a comp you know, so if you aren´t that type of player, you should pick another class.

Rotation-wise I actually find Shadow to be lots of fun (thanks god no StM any longer...), we actually kind of have some talent choices here and there and the 4-set is pretty cool. Also we scale extremely well with gear, if we get any.

And one last thing, if you decide to reroll, don´t expect to pull good numbers at the beginning, good DPS requires understanding of the class, in some bossfights, there are one or two specific points when you need to go big d*** or you cant catch up anymore, and this understanding just requires practice. To get some advanced infos I would recommend ViklunDs twitch stream and youtube channel, you can learn a lot from watching.

I hope this helped and the whole Shadow community doesn´t disagree with me ^^

Shadow is definitely a strong raiding spec, but also very niche. And this isn't a new player asking if shadow is good - this is someone raiding as rogue, clearly wanting to min max given the disappointment over legendaries, wanting a FotM to re roll to specifically for single target. Shadow is not that.

If you have the support to reroll to shadow (functional raiding guild) and are willing to play the hardest, clunkiest, least rewarding ranged spec, then yes follow your heart.

If you simply like the idea of a shadow priest, play affliction instead, or if you want some offspec diversity, boomkin.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptopmemer View Post
    If you have the support to reroll to shadow (functional raiding guild) and are willing to play the hardest, clunkiest, least rewarding ranged spec, then yes follow your heart.

If you simply like the idea of a shadow priest, play affliction instead, or if you want some offspec diversity, boomkin.
    What makes shadow clunky? It seems very straight-forward to me.

Deleted
    don't listen to all of this cry babies. shadow is anything but clunky. and also one of the most rewarding ranged spec if you are looking to get the most out of it. I do have every ranged at max level.
    mythic +12 and above are your thing, also you'll always own some of the raid fights where you have long living adds like botanist and elisande. So I'd always choose something that is very good at one thing over being good overall but not excel at anything.

but I think it is important to try out different range classes and specs. you will find out you like/ are more comfortable with some than others
    Last edited by mmoc0d20f49cac; 2017-02-18 at 12:29 AM.

Krosus, which is pretty much a ST boss on any difficulty, and we're bottom of the charts always. ST we're not good... we're pretty much shit.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont understand... why on earth would you want to play shadow for ST when you already play the strongest ST class? For ST rogue, war, dh and enha shamans are by far the best ones.
    yea mate ur right. right now we suck on pure single target like krosus or star augur. but not on all bosses we do good job on guldan , chromatic cos they give haste buff . also spell blade and botanist are our bosses to be top1

yea mate ur right. right now we suck on pure single target like krosus or star augur. but not on all bosses we do good job on guldan , chromatic cos they give haste buff . also spell blade and botanist are our bosses to be top1
    Stacking Shadow priests was almost mandatory for star auger before the nerf. Still highly desirable spec there even now. Then again, so are rogues.

Deleted
    Not spellblade, on mythic we're nowhere close to the top there. Even on botanist we're not n1, we're slightly below shamans and locks (the recont is flawed there since it considers all dmg we do on adds that heal back to full but on wcl that dmg is taken away, like on aluriel).

Not spellblade, on mythic we're nowhere close to the top there. Even on botanist we're not n1, we're slightly below shamans and locks (the recont is flawed there since it considers all dmg we do on adds that heal back to full but on wcl that dmg is taken away, like on aluriel).
    This. On heroic Botanist we are top, but on Mythic, it becomes a single target fight and we aren't the top for any damage that matters.
    Izzirogue of Tyrannosaurus Rekt - Hyjal | @izzirez

- - - Updated - - -

And BM Hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzirez View Post
    This. On heroic Botanist we are top, but on Mythic, it becomes a single target fight and we aren't the top for any damage that matters.
    Shadow is still top on mythic botanist if you know what you're doing and run auspicious spirits.
    Last edited by friedmudkipz; 2017-03-02 at 06:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by friedmudkipz View Post
    Shadow is still top on mythic botanist if you know what you're doing and run auspicious spirits.
    You dont even need to run spirits, you do the same damage with san´layn in P1 and AS is useless in p3