Poll: How would you have handled the situation?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question How would you have handled this awkward situation?

I was at an anniversary party for this couple that I'm friends with. There were about 25 people there total. Another couple (that I'm also friends with) decided that instead of buying a gift, they would have their 13-year-old daughter sing a song as their "gift".

Now I wasn't expecting an Adele-like performance or anything like that, but the singing was truly awful. It was more like screaming. I felt so bad for the kid, she had no idea that she was embarrassing herself in front of all these people. So after about 30 seconds, I pretended like I thought the song was over and started clapping. Everyone else started clapping as well, which brought the singing to a merciful end. But the parents of the kid are pissed at me now, claiming that I ruined their "gift".

First of all, I didn't think it was much of a gift to begin with, I know these people have plenty of money to buy an actual gift instead of having their daughter sing a song. Secondly, I believe I was doing them and their daughter a favor by ending it prematurely. I never told them that the singing was terrible, I maintained to them and the kid that I truly thought the song was over.

Did I do something wrong here? How would you have handled the situation?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have probably removed myself from having to hear it. For the sake of a harmonious party.

But.. Had I done what you did, I would have given the pissed parents a wake up call.
    Wanna be pissed at me? Fine.. Here's a reason..
    Your kid's voice sucks. She's tone deaf.. You're embarrassing her in front of all these people that had to listen to it.

If her singing was good, the other ppl would have shh'd you instead.
    Since they chimed in the applause, they too were glad to bring it to an end.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2017-03-18 at 09:38 AM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

You did the right thing.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Just be diplomatic & tactful

You do not want to loose them as friends...so just appreciate the song

Say well done (clap), and maybe offer advice on how to improve the song (tactfully)

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't have bothered to intervene. Just walked away, so I didn't have to hear it. That being said, I also wouldn't give a shit if I'd clapped to end it and the parents were mad at me. Only brain-dead parents would think their brat "singing" to someone is a "gift", which brings me to my second point. Don't give "gifts" that make it obvious you're being a cheapskate. It's fucking insulting.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Next time you see the Parent's just say "That song she was singing, who originally sang that again?" when they give the answer just say "Well let's keep it that way."

10+ Year Old Account
    Should have done the sane and reasonable thing and broken out into a synchronized song and dance routine to drown out the child.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Next time you see the Parent's just say "That song she was singing, who originally sang that again?" when they give the answer just say "Well let's keep it that way."
    I prefer the "they get paid to sing that for a reason" reply to that question.

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

You did the right (and very clever) thing there, and that family will get over it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It depends on the situation. The key is not cost, but thoughtfulness.
    I reworded that post. And thoughtfulness can compensate, if you don't have money to throw away, but this is an obvious attempt at trying to get credit for something worthless, that's insulting in my book.

Forcing people to pay attention to your brat and then calling it a "gift" for the host, just to avoid having to spend a cent is really really insulting imo.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2017-03-18 at 09:49 AM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    How old was the person this "gift" was for? A grandma? Yeah that seems reasonable.

The average 20-30-something, what the fuck even.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It depends on the situation. The key is not cost, but thoughtfulness.
    Honestly a halfway decent bottle of wine or whiskey is my go to gift for people I don't know well enough. If they don't drink alcohol then just a generic multi-purpose gift card so they can get whatever they want.

You have a lot more options to be thoughtful about when you personally know someone.

Quickly going through this guy's post history, he seems to be doing this a lot. Incapable of coming up with an original awkward scenario, he relies on TV shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm or the Office to fool people for his own sad enjoyment. Poor troll.

Last edited by Frood; 2017-03-18 at 10:01 AM.

Deleted
    Those parents are stupid. Probably forgot about gift or didn't have time to buy one, so they made their daughter sing instead. Considering her lack of voice, I doubt she volunteered.

But I wouldn't have intervened.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuckatron5000 View Post
    Honestly a halfway decent bottle of wine or whiskey is my go to gift for people I don't know well enough. If they don't drink alcohol then just a generic multi-purpose gift card so they can get whatever they want.

You have a lot more options to be thoughtful about when you personally know someone.
    So just money?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velios View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSzDfhjAWLE
    Oh I see what OP did there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lartok View Post
    So just money?
    Pretty much. Mind you this is for people I don't know well enough.

Really need to hear the song to answer that, if it was close to a cat singing then you did the right thing. So many shouldn't need to suffer.

But don't push the parents buttons they'll get over it or you probably wouldn't be friends with them in the first place I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    First of all, I didn't think it was much of a gift to begin with, I know these people have plenty of money to buy an actual gift instead of having their daughter sing a song.
    Never say anything like that, you don't know them, you don't know their real situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    It was more like screaming. I felt so bad for the kid, she had no idea that she was embarrassing herself in front of all these people. So after about 30 seconds, I pretended like I thought the song was over and started clapping. Everyone else started clapping as well, which brought the singing to a merciful end.
    You did right thing though.