Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Trump used Prime Minister Trudeau's visit to do some immigration homework

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/14/trump...-homework.html

In President Donald Trump's first face-to-face meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in Washington, a senior source inside the discussions told CNBC that Trump asked many questions about Canada's immigration system, which is based on points.

Canada assesses immigrants on six selection factors, including fluency, education, experience and age, and then assigns a point value for each variable.

At the meeting Monday, Trump asked questions about the point system's effectiveness and implementation, according to the source, who requested anonymity because the information is not yet public.

Just last week, a federal appeals court in San Francisco upheld a lower court ruling blocking Trump's executive order banning travel to the U.S. from seven majority-Muslim countries. People with valid U.S. green cards and visas were also affected.

In the meantime, the executive order continues to suspend a global refugee program that accepted Syrian asylum seekers, among others, into the U.S.

The order made many people "very frightened," said Deborah Notkin, a senior partner at immigration law firm Barst Mukamal & Kleiner. "This year, something has happened that I've never seen before. A number of employers say they want to go ahead [to help the employee stay in the U.S.] but the person doesn't want to stay here.
    They don't want to commit to an H-1B visa; and they're not people from the Middle East either."

In contrast, Canada has accepted close to 40,000 Syrian refugees over the past 18 months and offered temporary residence to those who were left stranded by Trump's recent travel ban.

The two leaders' glaring differences in approach stayed largely muted during their brief visit Monday.
    Great to see that some positives were able to come out of yesterday's meeting. When the American President visits Canada I hope that this trend continues!

10+ Year Old Account
    He probably asked what not to do since accepting refugees goes against his promises.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

So... this is based on a entirely unverifiable rumor again?

Well, duh. Trump is heavily anti-immigration and Canada's point system offers him exactly what he wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    It's a senior source. Not all news is from a press release bud.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Great to see that some positives were able to come out of yesterday's meeting. When the American President visits Canada I hope that this trend continues!
    What's amazing is that no one sees a problem with Trump doing basic research for revising the immigration system - even 'Tenny here is on board. Presidents don't do the basic research - it's beyond ridiculous that this already-scandal-ridden President is working hard on the minutiae of a system he would need Congress to change. President's lead - they don't conduct polls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why you like this, Canada's Immigration rules are stricter than the US. Don't get letting refugees in mixed up with standard Immigration
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

It's a senior source. Not all news is from a press release bud.
    Prove it

/10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Not sure why you like this, Canada's Immigration rules are stricter than the US. Don't get letting refugees in mixed up with standard Immigration
    We want immigrants to succeed and contribute to society don't we? The new guy can follow Canada's system while also taking in immigrants from all corners of the globe including refugees. Win win compared to his racist/xenophobic ban.

10+ Year Old Account
    We want immigrants to succeed and contribute to society don't we? The new guy can follow Canada's system while also taking in immigrants from all corners of the globe including refugees. Win win compared to his racist/xenophobic ban.
    Mass immigration like Sweden is doomed to fail because the resources are not there to handle them.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    Mass immigration like Sweden is doomed to fail because the resources are not there to handle them.
    Sweden is ranked really high on most important metrics. Pretty clear it has been working.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Aren't they all for the most part? These media bitches cry wolf so much with trump no one's going to care or believe them when it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven French View Post
    Aren't they all for the most part? These media bitches cry wolf so much with trump no one's going to care or believe them when it matters.
    It does seem to mirror the story of the boy who cried wolf I admit...

7+ Year Old Account
    Sweden is ranked really high on most important metrics. Pretty clear it has been working.
    Like rape? Or how bout Gang violence? Hear about the people that get killed when they get caught in the middle of a somali gang war? Sweden is definitely better off.

Was it ranked "really high" on our favourite metrics before this wave of mass immigration?

It's nice Trudeu is such a positive influence on Trump, we can all rest easy now.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    We are well past that point already and have been since well before the media made any real effort to criticize him.
    How did we get to that point before they went crazy on the rhetoric? When exactly was it they weren't making a real effort to criticize him? The second he announced he was thinking of running for president they all started taking one giant perpetual shit on him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Lmaooooooo. And here we have it folks. Literal, physical proof that Trump has no idea what he's doing and is just copying who he can to get by.

Why the fuck did we elect him again? Oh yeah. Emails.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    And here was me thinking all you needed to immigrate to Canada was a passport and a pulse.
    it comes with every order of poutine.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven French View Post
    How did we get to that point before they went crazy on the rhetoric? When exactly was it they weren't making a real effort to criticize him? The second he announced he was thinking of running for president they all started taking one giant perpetual shit on him.
    Because that's what happens when you run for President.

Or did we forget the rumor that our current President started about our last President regarding origin of birth? That started as criticism.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.