Page 1 of 26
... LastLast
    Deleted

‘Our land’: Russia tells US that Crimea won’t be ‘given back’ to Ukraine

"Russia won’t give Crimea back to Ukraine, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said in response to White House comments that Donald Trump expects Moscow to “return” the peninsular.

“We don’t return our territories. Crimea is a territory of the Russian Federation,” Zakharova said at a weekly news briefing on current foreign policy issues.

On Tuesday, White House spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters that US President Donald Trump has been tough on Russia and expects Moscow to “return” Crimea to Ukraine.

“President Trump has made it very clear that he expects the Russian government to de-escalate violence in the Ukraine and return Crimea,” Spicer said. “At the same time, he fully expects to – and wants to – get along with Russia.”"

https://www.rt.com/news/377387-russi...ukraine-trump/

There we have, realpolitik is finally taking control. Even Trump is being pushed to the anti-Russian camp, as many expected would happen.

If someone would've stood up to Hitler when he annexed the Sudetenland 63 million people wouldn't have died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudetenland

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

There is zero reason to 'give it back' since the people of Crimea voted to join Russia.

Took 1 post to have the thread Godwin'd, good job at false equivalence there.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    There will always be some countries/regions who don't recognize or are not recognized by others, regardless of UN or non-UN status.

Example:
    Kosovo
    Palestine
    Taiwan
    Cyprus
    Israel
    North Korea
    South Korea
    Armenia

And regions:
    Transnistria
    South Ossetia
    Abkhazia
    Western Sahara
    Northern Cyprus
    Somaliland
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-02-15 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If someone would've stood up to Hitler when he annexed the Sudetenland 63 million people wouldn't have died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudetenland
    That isn't how war works.

Now the dick that wouldn't let him into art college... that guy has blood on his hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    “President Trump has made it very clear that he expects the Russian government to de-escalate violence in the Ukraine and return Crimea,” Spicer said.
    "Yes, but you lie all the time. Why should we believe you now?" everyone else responded in unison.

Trump's resistance to Russia flat-out invading Ukraine is a facade. His rep gave one speech at the UN, an organization Trump has no respect for. Meanwhile, Putin makes a new treaty-breaking missile and wheels it up to the western border, and Trump says nothing on the subject. Putin drops a spyship off the coast of my home state and Trump does nothing.

There is a damn near zero percent chance Trump will do anything about this. I leave open the option that Trump and Putin have a pre-arranged deal where Trump pretends to talk Putin down, and Trump gets hailed as a hero.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    "Yes, but you lie all the time. Why should we believe you now?" everyone else responded in unison.

Trump's resistance to Russia flat-out invading Ukraine is a facade. His rep gave one speech at the UN, an organization Trump has no respect for. Meanwhile, Putin makes a new treaty-breaking missile and wheels it up to the western border, and Trump says nothing on the subject. Putin drops a spyship off the coast of my home state and Trump does nothing.

There is a damn near zero percent chance Trump will do anything about this. I leave open the option that Trump and Putin have a pre-arranged deal where Trump pretends to talk Putin down, and Trump gets hailed as a hero.
    I actually doubt. With his admin crumbling with dumb scandal after dumb scandal, something has to be done to save face ASAP. Something that will get Republicans and even some Democrats behind him. Ditching Russia is the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    There is zero reason to 'give it back' since the people of Crimea voted to join Russia.
    There are rumors a majority in Saint Petersburg (Rus) wants to be part of the West. I think it's time to organise a referendum and a new revolution there.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually doubt. With his admin crumbling with dumb scandal after dumb scandal, something has to be done to save face ASAP. Something that will get Republicans and even some Democrats behind him. Ditching Russia is the best choice.
    Yeah, he just told NATO to fuck off. Not buying this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Yeah, he just told NATO to fuck off. Not buying this.
    I don't reject being all a play, but considering the twitter of the narcissist-in-chief...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

... it's a bit hard, for me, to ignore that some cracks might be appearing between Trump and his love for Putin.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't imagine Trump really seriously thinks Russia would even consider giving back Crimea. Plus they voted to join Russia. That ship sailed a long time ago. Comments that are this ridiculous really just reinforce credibility issues and the perception that Trump's administration has no idea what they are doing. Similar to the comments about the Chinese islands in the South China Sea a month or so ago, proposing stopping access to them like a blockade. That's not even reasonably practical when you're talking 7 islands spread all over, with air access. In the case of Crimea it would be more likely that the US would give Alaska back to Russia as Russia giving back Crimea, it's silly to even discuss. The only more reasonable current debate is if, and if so how much, of eastern Ukraine will go to Russia. Putin has repeatedly said he wants a land bridge (i.e. SE Ukraine) between Russia and Crimea, so at very least he wants a strip of land to connect the two for transportation. And like Crimea, the public there is pretty supportive of joining Russia it sounds.

In the case of Crimea it is pretty blatantly obvious that this was an attempt to deflect from the Flynn scandal with a knee-jerk poke at Russia, and Obama for not taking action in Crimea when it happened. Hopefully most can see through that and realize he's just trying to take the focus off of Flynn and Trump-Russia election interference connections.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a bit hard, for me, to ignore that some cracks might be appearing between Trump and his love for Putin.
    So you're suggesting that Trump signed a contract, and won't provide his end of the bargain?

...okay, that fits the pattern.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    In the case of Crimea it is pretty blatantly obvious that this was an attempt to deflect from the Flynn scandal with a knee-jerk poke at Russia, and Obama for not taking action in Crimea when it happened. Hopefully most can see through that and realize he's just trying to take the focus off of Flynn and Trump-Russia election interference connections.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/07/po...ump/index.html

The Congress and the Senate hardliners won't let these cracks dissapear.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is Europe's backyard, they must deal with Russia. If Europe can take millions of refugees and economic migrants they can afford to spend more on military to counter Russia.
    Last edited by PC2; 2017-02-15 at 11:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    And Russia had nothing to do with it and had to accept Crimea as part of it's territory.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There we have, realpolitik is finally taking control.
    It always has.

Things based in reality, land/resources/power are always the deciding factor in foreign policy no matter how much you avoid it or declare it 'immoral'.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Funny how Russia has a double standard in this.

Crimea wants to leave Ukraine and join Russia. Fine.
    Chechnya wants to leave Russia. Murderise the hell out of the Chechnyans.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Funny how Russia has a double standard in this.
    What makes you think Russia bases its policy based on abstract principle or standards?
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    There are rumors a majority in Saint Petersburg (Rus) wants to be part of the West. I think it's time to organise a referendum and a new revolution there.
    I personally doubt that, though I know there is a fair amount of pro Western Russians in Russia atm. You'll find that in every country so it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck getting a referendum, rofl. And even more luck with a revolution. This isn't Yeltsin we're talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    And Russia had nothing to do with it and had to accept Crimea as part of it's territory.
    This post makes zero sense once you understand the history of Russia and Crimea. In fact it insinuates something so terribly stupid I'm not going to respond further.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Is it news when Trump new tweet contradict his last 5 months of tweets? I dunno i dont remember a president with such a bad track record in 3 weeks. Hes making Jimmy look like a golden age.