Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I wasn't talking about the law. I was talking about a specific suggestion made by the person I quoted.
    But he didn't mention pica, but rather altered mental states?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

In the last 10 years
    33,000+ deaths (a year) from gun violence, the majority of them suicides.
    0 deaths from refugees.

So what do we do as a nation? We seek to loosen our laws to allow more people to buy guns and try desperately to stop refugees from coming into our country.

Makes sense in alternate world.

So republicans that are pro-life people. Are you REALLY pro-life and ok with this?

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with designating specific disorders is that it can be easily exploited by good doctors.

I had a botanist professor that got a LOT of weed people off form punishment because Texas law only specified a certain type of weed. As soon as they broadened it, it hit the people they aimed it for because they could no longer lawyer / doctor themselves out of a loophole.

He said "any mental disorder."
    Oh fine, you can have your nitpick!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

"Mental Disorders"
    LF link to page that defines EXACTLY in DETAIL what that means.
    Is ADHD/ADD a "mental disorder"? If so that automatically disqualifies atleast a quarter of americans from owning guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are not even touching the REAL problem... The REAL reason the law was blocked: The SSA would report people with a mental disorder, or other such cerebral abnormalities, the Government would make their decision, and then NOTHING!!!!! The citizen will have had their constitutional right STRIPPED from them and they wouldn't even know it until they went to purchase a firearm (if they so chose to) and were declined with Government certified reasons.

This is called a violation of DUE PROCESS. If you are going to strip any person of their right... A right guaranteed by the U.S. CONSTITUTION... Due Process must be adhered to.

I am not against the severely mentally ill individuals being prevented from owning a gun. I am not simply against organizations having the ability to contact the government regarding an individuals mental status. I am against our government having the power to subvert Due Process and essentially act as judge jury and executioner without the citizen even knowing that it was happening to them.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Its probably good that they struck it down until it can be clearly defined. Democrats have a habit of making very generalized sweeps with their legislation that effect a lot more people than they intend. Is OCD or ADHD enough to have gun rights removed?

If someone has been found to be mentally unstable enough to be dangerous it should be done by a trial of experts and then verified by a trial of peers. We can't just take away someones rights just because they have a "disorder".

Deleted
    We've had another thread about this a while back, here's some links to the actual law and some more things.

Quote Originally Posted by AnoExpress View Post
    Here's the law that's getting repealed.
    Here's what defines mental disorders.

I can't go through all of that at the moment but as long as it applies only to people who suffer from things like PTSD, schizophrenia, and other things that can impact judgement in a significant way then it shouldn't be getting repealed. From what i read it would also apply to previous conditions i.e. if you suffered from depession which went away due to either therapy or meds which shouldn't really be the case. Instead of getting rid of it i'd rather it be changed to account for such things.

-- Added relevant text based on how they consider people for this. Whether it's an AND of conditions or an OR i'm not sure. If it's OR it's fucked but i doubt that's the case --

(a) In accordance with the
    requirements of the NIAA, we will
    identify the records of individuals
    whom we have ‘‘adjudicated as a mental
    defective.’’ For purposes of the Social
    Security programs established under
    titles II and XVI of the Social Security
    Act, we have ‘‘adjudicated as a mental
    defective’’ any individual who meets
    the criteria in paragraphs (b)(1) through
    (5) of this section.
    (b) During our claim development and
    adjudication process, or when we take
    certain post-entitlement or posteligibility
    actions, we will identify any
    individual who:
    (1) Has filed a claim based on
    disability;
    (2) Has been determined to be
    disabled based on a finding that the
    individual’s impairment(s) meets or
    medically equals the requirements of
    one of the Mental Disorders Listing of
    Impairments (section 12.00 of appendix
    1 to subpart P of part 404 of this
    chapter) under the rules in part 404,
    subpart P, of this chapter, or under the
    rules in part 416, subpart I, of this
    chapter;
    (3) Has a primary diagnosis code in
    our records based on a mental
    impairment;
    (4) Has attained age 18, but has not
    attained full retirement age; and
    (5) Requires that his or her benefit
    payments be made through a
    representative payee because we have
    determined, under the rules in part 404,
    subpart U, of this chapter, or the rules
    in part 416, subpart F, of this chapter,
    that he or she is mentally incapable of
    managing benefit payments.

Well, when the chief of staff is mentally unstable, it would be hypocritical of Senate to pass such bill.

Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    Its probably good that they struck it down until it can be clearly defined. Democrats have a habit of making very generalized sweeps with their legislation that effect a lot more people than they intend. Is OCD or ADHD enough to have gun rights removed?

If someone has been found to be mentally unstable enough to be dangerous it should be done by a trial of experts and then verified by a trial of peers. We can't just take away someones rights just because they have a "disorder".
    No, take the gun away after they shoot someone with it. I mean, then you know... Right?

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    If somebody has an eating disorder, which is mental in nature, should they have their gun rights revoked?
    Yes. If they can't control their eating, they have a self-control problem and should not have a gun.

It affects people who are sufficiently mentally ill that they are deemed incapable of handling their financial affairs.
    but yet those people can have a driver license and make kids. yeah i think a gun is the least of the worries here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    You guys are not even touching the REAL problem... The REAL reason the law was blocked: The SSA would report people with a mental disorder, or other such cerebral abnormalities, the Government would make their decision, and then NOTHING!!!!! The citizen will have had their constitutional right STRIPPED from them and they wouldn't even know it until they went to purchase a firearm (if they so chose to) and were declined with Government certified reasons.

This is called a violation of DUE PROCESS. If you are going to strip any person of their right... A right guaranteed by the U.S. CONSTITUTION... Due Process must be adhered to.

I am not against the severely mentally ill individuals being prevented from owning a gun. I am not simply against organizations having the ability to contact the government regarding an individuals mental status. I am against our government having the power to subvert Due Process and essentially act as judge jury and executioner without the citizen even knowing that it was happening to them.
    i wonder how wells feels about this. hes a big due process guy but he hates anything republican or conservative so much he'll probably put the blinders on and not give a fuck about due process. the guy has more love for terrorists (oh no cant waterboard them) than he does his own countrymen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AnoExpress View Post
    We've had another thread about this a while back, here's some links to the actual law and some more things.
    I don´t know about how laws are written in the US but i do think "any individual who meets the criteria in paragraphs (b)(1) through (5) of this section." means all of them must be true and not one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    No.

And what a lot of people avoid talking about is both the ACLU and quite a few advocacy groups for disabled have been against this reg since Day 1 because of it's utter vagueness.
    So amend it then to make it better. That is the Republican way, get rid of it instead of making it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    We need to stop being disability bigots and let blind people drive too!

Preach!
    haha, this !

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I don´t know about how laws are written in the US but i do think "any individual who meets the criteria in paragraphs (b)(1) through (5) of this section." means all of them must be true and not one of them.
    I'm going to admit I don't remember the full discourse regarding the law outside of general knowledge that the bill was written sort of the same way Trump's travel ban was implemented. It was poorly written and did not exercise enough detail and thus ended up with a blanket sort of effect.

The problem is it involves the term "mentally ill" and the word "guns" so when people questioned it, those without critical thinking immediately jumped on the "you want crazy people to own guns?!" knee-jerk reaction.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-02-16 at 12:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I'm going to admit I don't remember the full discourse regarding the law outside of general knowledge that the bill was written sort of the same way Trump's travel ban was implemented. It was poorly written and did not exercise enough detail and thus ended up with a blanket sort of effect.
    Ok that´s silly then.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Yes. If they can't control their eating, they have a self-control problem and should not have a gun.

Self-control and judgement are unrelated thought processes, as such use different parts of the brain.

Hence why disability advocates have been against the bill from the start.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    So amend it then to make it better. That is the Republican way, get rid of it instead of making it better.

There's already clear and strong enough law preventing the proper mental impairments from passing background checks.

Not to mention the fact the way guns are acquired for those involved in shootings with mental impairments didn't get them from a gun store.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

OP's ableism is showing. It's funny how liberals claim they are the tolerant ones yet always turn out to be bigots.

OP is a pathologically dishonest and/or willfully inaccurate description of the regulation that got shanked.

What Obama did was encourage a rule to be issued that basically allowed the SSA to use receiving social security or social security disability insurance as a substitute for an adjudication of mental unfitness on an NICS check. Like, if you applied for SS or SSDI, you were per se mentally unfit. It was not only a denial of the 2nd Amendment right but also of due process. It was a garbage act by a garbage administration.