Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    If I want to play a sniper, I'll play a sniper. If I want to play a deeps or def hero, I'll do so. Nobody can stop me from doing that.

If you want to stop that kind of behavior, then gather a ton of players and make blizzard add the same amount of competitive points to quick play.
    That'll solve the whole issue, because most people are playing competitive for the points, so the golden weapons are technically the root of the problem.
    Those guys don't care about rank.

Quote Originally Posted by Farron69 View Post
    If I want to play a sniper, I'll play a sniper. If I want to play a deeps or def hero, I'll do so. Nobody can stop me from doing that.

If you want to stop that kind of behavior, then gather a ton of players and make blizzard add the same amount of competitive points to quick play.
    That'll solve the whole issue, because most people are playing competitive for the points, so the golden weapons are technically the root of the problem.
    I'm the only one that find the golden weapons ugly as fuck? I hope blizzard make something different for us to use the ranked points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chantique View Post
    I'm the only one that find the golden weapons ugly as fuck? I hope blizzard make something different for us to use the ranked points.
    Some are definitely better than others. A lot depends on which skin they're with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chantique View Post
    I like D.va's canons, Sombra's UZI is dope as well.

10+ Year Old Account

This makes no sense.

1. It doesn't matter what hero you play to accrue points.
    2. You have to win to accrue points.
    3. Your season high ranking gains you significantly more points.

There's 3 very good reasons why people chasing golden weapons will want to do so efficiently, and with a desire to win. Everything about them is promoting pushing for winning, because they are really expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    This makes no sense.

1. It doesn't matter what hero you play to accrue points.
    2. You have to win to accrue points.
    3. Your season high ranking gains you significantly more points.

There's 3 very good reasons why people chasing golden weapons will want to do so efficiently, and with a desire to win. Everything about them is promoting pushing for winning, because they are really expensive.

1. To some people, it does matter. People will rage at you for picking a certain hero while you just want to have some fun and play that particular one. (This happens a lot to Widowmaker/Hanzo mains)

2. Some people treat competitive as quick play with the bonus of getting some points if you win but they're not really gonna care about metas and group setup, they'll pick the hero they wanna play. Just pure casual gaming.

3. The end of season reward is a very small boost. Most that play Overwatch on a regular basis will earn way more points than that from just playing some games everyday. I've gotten 2 gold weps this season by just playing like I normally would.

So it does make sense. Add the competitive points to quick play and they'll go there because then they won't have to play comp to get golden weapons, the ones that play ranked will aim to progress up the ladder for bragging rights.

I don't care about wins or not myself, I play ranked just to get the points, but I am not gonna tryhard like most do in competitive gameplay, I'm just gonna pick a hero or two that I like and chill. Currently at 3600

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilathae View Post
    You know there is a report for the" uncooperative teammate" you just mentioned, it's called griefing.

These kind of ppl should play QP or Arcade.
    Not doing what you want me to is NOT griefing. I see people all the time rage at the Hanzo all game for not switching and then he gets POTG and 3 golds
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.

Quote Originally Posted by xero5141 View Post
    Not doing what you want me to is NOT griefing. I see people all the time rage at the Hanzo all game for not switching and then he gets POTG and 3 golds
    On the other hand, if Hanzo got those three golds because he was off chasing kills/damage and the PotG was him yolo-ing a dragon because he didn't have a Zarya or Rein to combo with, one could argue that he was a detriment to the team because he was not trying to synergise with the rest of the team.

That said, I've experienced everything from one end of the spectrum to the other. I not so fondly remember the guy who decided that comp was an excellent place to learn to Sombra despite them having many many hours on Soldier and him being unpicked. On the other hand, I also very fondly remember the Widowmaker I was skeptical about due to their lack of hours on, who didn't take offense to my asking about said lack of hours, instead responding with positive banter which set the tone for the next couple of games for the team. Of course it helped that said WM proceeded to shred things at range, letting the rest of the team stomp all over the enemy on Route 66 attack, payload didn't stop once until about halfway to last point and that was only for a couple of minutes before we pushed it home. We then kept them from capping second point on their attack round.

The TLR in that I'm always willing to give people a chance with their picks, so long as they're alright with people being friendily skeptic about it. If their response to being questioned about their pick is to start bitching and raging... Yeah, not too pleased about that. <_<

I just play what I like I don't care about anybody else I paid for the game and its my free time. They don't get to choose what I do with it. If they whine and complain I just block them simplez

10+ Year Old Account
    1. To some people, it does matter. People will rage at you for picking a certain hero while you just want to have some fun and play that particular one. (This happens a lot to Widowmaker/Hanzo mains)
    That's not about their pursuit of a golden weapon. They're also the only heroes, except maybe Torb or Bastion, or Sombra, where anyone is going to say anything anyway. Let's face it, you're not going to bitch at a 76 or Roadhog, or Reinhardt for insta locking.

2. Some people treat competitive as quick play with the bonus of getting some points if you win but they're not really gonna care about metas and group setup, they'll pick the hero they wanna play. Just pure casual gaming.
    They want to excel with a particular hero and they want to get their golden gun for it asap. Screwing you over deliberately is not the most efficient way of doing that. You have all your shit ass backwards.

SR is purely personal, and people see it that way. They may know they're not going to hit GM, I'm not, but they want to see how far they can go with their favourite hero. Again, they're not out to screw with you and it's not about the golden weapon.

3. The end of season reward is a very small boost. Most that play Overwatch on a regular basis will earn way more points than that from just playing some games everyday. I've gotten 2 gold weps this season by just playing like I normally would.

So it does make sense. Add the competitive points to quick play and they'll go there because then they won't have to play comp to get golden weapons, the ones that play ranked will aim to progress up the ladder for bragging rights.

I don't care about wins or not myself, I play ranked just to get the points, but I am not gonna tryhard like most do in competitive gameplay, I'm just gonna pick a hero or two that I like and chill. Currently at 3600
    It depends just how much Comp you play, it's been my main source.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-02-21 at 05:22 PM.

Where in the official overwatch rules does it say you have to play to win lose or draw?, get points, get high rank, get golden guns? Play for fun of the game ranks don't mean anything anyway who cares if someone is rank 23 or rank 3500 means jack

10+ Year Old Account
    All these OW people just beginning to understand what LoL players have been dealing with for years.

Some people do play competitive/ranked just to dick around, which does ruin other people's progression. It's frustrating, and way worse/widespread in a game like LoL where you can have straight up troll picks that all but guarantee a loss - but those people just don't care.

Unfortunately there's no way to control it without policing the meta, which opens up a huge slew of problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyfluff View Post
    Where in the official overwatch rules does it say you have to play to win lose or draw?, get points, get high rank, get golden guns? Play for fun of the game ranks don't mean anything anyway who cares if someone is rank 23 or rank 3500 means jack
    Case in point, this person should be playing QM because he'll get the experience he's looking for there (just play for the fun of the game). Bringing that mentality into competitive just impedes other people.

You couldn't join a pro sports league and then do weird shit and claim you're just there for the fun of the game without rightfully pissing off your teammates.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quick Play > Play for fun.
    Competitive > Play to win.

If you think you can waste the time and effort of the other 5 people on your team, fuck off and die.

Jack show me where it states in the official overwatch rules that I should play to win? Don't just assert the rules provide evidence

Your pro sports analogy doesn't work here because we are not getting paid to play this is just a game not a business

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    Quick Play > Play for fun.
    Competitive > Play to win.

If you think you can waste the time and effort of the other 5 people on your team, fuck off and die.
    Who says these are the rules you or blizzard?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyfluff View Post
    Jack show me where it states in the official overwatch rules that I should play to win? Don't just assert the rules provide evidence

Your pro sports analogy doesn't work here because we are not getting paid to play this is just a game not a business

- - - Updated - - -

Who says these are the rules you or blizzard?
    That's a bit excessive, I mean, the goal of the game IS to win. I wouldn't sacrifice fun in order to "guarantee" a win though with boring meta heroes. Play something you enjoy, but still play to win.

Not playing to win is considered "throwing" and throwing, feeding, etc are bannable.

Moral of the story is, play who you want, don't listen to the haters(it is a game after all, and playing things you don't like just to "win" is counter-intuitive), but still play to win

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    That's a bit excessive, I mean, the goal of the game IS to win. I wouldn't sacrifice fun in order to "guarantee" a win though with boring meta heroes. Play something you enjoy, but still play to win.

Not playing to win is considered "throwing" and throwing, feeding, etc are bannable.

Moral of the story is, play who you want, don't listen to the haters(it is a game after all, and playing things you don't like just to "win" is counter-intuitive), but still play to win
    Who said the goal of the game is to win? Again don't assert the rules provide me with some evidence where it specifically states from Blizzard Overwatch that I should play to win in competitive mode

As far as I am aware its the game makers that make the rules not the players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Case in point, this person should be playing QM because he'll get the experience he's looking for there (just play for the fun of the game). Bringing that mentality into competitive just impedes other people.

You couldn't join a pro sports league and then do weird shit and claim you're just there for the fun of the game without rightfully pissing off your teammates.
    You're not playing in Bronze, Silver, Gold, or even Plat to be pro-league. Besides, they have selection processes; as do the teams that actually get anywhere in Diamond and above. It's the very very few and dedicated - who are often professionals in that it's their livelihood through streaming or pro-gaming who make it to those levels solo.

I usually play with one friend or maybe two, almost always competitive, we usually pick heroes like Ana, Zarya, Soldier, Lucio, Zenyatta, but sometimes we want to play something else, so we go Tracer or Widow or Pharah, heroes that are not in the typical meta.

That doesn't mean we don't try to win though.

But from my experience, in quick play people never even try to get some sort of useful team, people go triple flankers, usually no supports/tanks, and trying to play like that is not fun for me, so i avoid quick play.

The golden weapons are nice to have, but definitely not the reason i play competitive, i just want to play as a team.
    If i wanted to go super serious i'd get a full premade team too.

Just my thoughts moo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post

The goal is to win, but there are no rules that stipulate how you do that; nor any that actually state at any cost. If a player wants to see how well they can do with an off-meta hero, that's entirely their prerogative they're still playing to win, albeit with a potentially minor handicap. That there are people out there who actively try to throw games to punish players for going off meta, it makes the achievements of the likes of Kephrie and Seagull that much more impressive.

At these lower levels, heroes like Junkrat, Bastion and Torb can still cause teams some very serious issues. And a bang-average Widow like me can actually do okay; I just prefer to avoid being told to "get back in the kitchen", or "grills shouldn't be on video games", it's demoralising and makes me worse. Shit, the other night I picked Widow, team freaked out because we lost the first round 99-99 in OT even though I was doing fine picking their support and a lot of solo kills; I went 76 and played objectively worse but we won and they were happy with that. I just don't get it.

Last night I was far more pissed at the guy who through the match for us than the guy who picked Bastion and sucked.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-02-21 at 07:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You're not playing in Bronze, Silver, Gold, or even Plat to be pro-league. Besides, they have selection processes; as do the teams that actually get anywhere in Diamond and above. It's the very very few and dedicated - who are often professionals in that it's their livelihood through streaming or pro-gaming who make it to those levels solo.
    That's pretty irrelevant to my point, which was that if you're only playing for fun and don't care about ranks etc you should play the game mode that caters to your playergroup - QM - the one without rankings. Just like in LoL, where you should be playing normals.

No one is talking about needing to be a professional, that's beside the point. Competitive ranked modes exist for the people who care about achieving and improving their rank - that means a tacit acceptance of playing the game in the manner which will best allow your team to win.

You wouldn't survive a single competitive match of CS if you "just played for fun", because that community understands the difference between a casual scrim and a competitive match. You wouldn't stay as a rank A or B player at your local tennis club if you "just played for fun", you'd be down with the C and D players - even if you were better than them the club wouldn't put you against the guys that actually put in a serious effort to win. Likewise you'd get kicked out of your local rec ball hockey league if you were hyper-competitive and belittling to the other members of your team or the competition.

People just need to accept that there's a time and a place for both competitive and casual modes, and you shouldn't go into either one with a mentality more suited for the other. If someone really cares so little about ranks then they shouldn't have any issue playing in QM/normals where they don't exist.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.