Deleted

Unicorn premium++ ?

Hi guys,

Looking at upgrading my home machine soon, the build of the month page and this section of the forum always have been a massive help.
    This time though I've got a bigger budget than usual and was wondering what would an upgraded Unicorn build would look like?

Should probably mention that I'm mainly interested in getting a better CPU & RAM (so a motherboard as well if required) and maybe a 'better' case (how good is the Corsair Air 740 compared to the 540 ?).
    Not too fussed about the rest.

Thanks a lot, keep up the good work!
    Last edited by mmocd8a0278bf7; 2017-02-16 at 11:20 AM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($96.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $822.79
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-16 08:03 EST-0500

You could wait a couple weeks and see what AMD has to offer with Ryzen.

Also what is your current setup? you may not need to upgrade just yet or maybe just a new GPU.

Deleted
    Thanks for the reply !

My current setup:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4ghz
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4
    Mainboard: ASUS M5499FX PRO R2.0
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP
    GPU: MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB
    PSU: Corsair CXM 600W Bronze Plus
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-U9B SE2

I'd rather go with something that has already proven itself out rather than waiting for new stuff.

Deleted
    The build denpepe linked is solid but you can maybe go for something cheaper without loosing performance. You got a nice case already maybe you can use that unless you are keeping it as a second rig or giving it to a family member or something. Also what storage drives you got?

As always filling up the forums sticky helps giving us the whole picture/understanding which in turn helps you more:

Include the following information when posting a request.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Ideally include a list of parts, we see the same request almost every day. There are other topics that have parts lists that you can copy and modify.

Deleted
    Right, my bad.

Budget: not really defined, maybe around £1k
    Resolution: I play on a 24" standard monitor, 1920x1080
    Games: mostly WoW, HotS / Dota / Diablo 3 on the side
    No video editing or anything like that
    Parts that can be reused: storage drives (2 SSDs, 1 HDD), the PSU (Corsair CXM 600W Bronze Plus) since it's fairly new, and the heatsink (Noctua NH-U9B SE2)
    Don't need an OS
    Don't need peripherals

Basically it's mostly my CPU that's quite outdated, and the case is falling apart (buttons/front usb ports hardly working anymore).
    So I'm mostly looking to replace both of those, and since I've set my sights on the i7 7700k, I'll have to change the motherboard as well, and I could probably do with an upgrade of the RAM ?
    Happy to keep my current one though (Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP) unless the new DDR4 gives a decent performance boost.
    The build denpepe linked is solid indeed but I've seen quite a few negative reviews about the motherboard - especially when it comes to the onboard audio chip?

Again, thanks a lot for any help you guys can give me, it's much appreciated.

Deleted
    You can't use ddr3 unless you go 3 cpu gen's back... so you need new, ddr4. You definately don't need an i7 for just gaming, its waste of money, an i5 is enough, so nowasted money there.
    The following is a decent setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (£217.94 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£67.90 @ More Computers)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£143.50 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£105.59 @ Aria PC)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ Novatech)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.94 @ CCL Computers)
    Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan (£20.47 @ More Computers)
    Total: £724.33
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-17 10:25 GMT+0000

You could ofc go for a more expensive board that will have more leds and whatnot but for the average user this is enough. Same goes for ram, if you want leds etc you have to pay the premium and in many cases you will need a water cooling solution cause of clearance problems. Also you got an msi twin frozr so i tried to keep the colour theme red/black.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2017-02-17 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added 140mm quality case fan

Deleted
    I know how that's gonna sound but I can get a 7700k cheap (roughly the same price as the7600k) - can I use it with the rest of the setup you've linked ?

Also, it's just aesthetics but I really like the style of the Corsair Air 740. Is there anything wrong with it ?

I've noticed that you included a new PSU in the build - any reason I can't keep mine ?

Again, thanks a lot. You're being very helpful, much appreciated

Deleted
    - If you can get the i7 almost as much as the i5 then obviously grab that, lucky you.

- New psu new build as a general guideline. The corsair cx line has been crap quality in previous years but they have improved it somewhat with cxm. Still nowhere near the quality of the one i linked. Also don't you want the old pc running? Bottom line you decide but if its to save money then why go for that case which brings us to my next comment.

- About the case, honestly its beautiful but there is some things to consider. First of we are talking about a premium-budget case. Its expensive for what it offers. There are better cases for that much money out there. Second if i am paying premium i want all bells and whistles, like its should have a tempered glass sidepanel not the el-cheapo acrylic one. Also why cheap out and have no dust filter at the entire bottom of it, but that can be fixed if you add a magnetic one yourself which will make it even more expensive. Lastly its a massive case, large footprint-you need tohave the space for it and its meant to be used on an enthusiast full water looped rig. If you place a regular build, air cpu cooler, single gpu etc half the case will be empty and the rig will look as much (ie not good). At the end of the day if you are hyped about go for it i just thought i would share my point of view.

Deleted
    -To be completely honest, the main reason why I want to upgrade is that opportunity to grab an i7 for cheap.

-Your argument makes sense, I'll get a new PSU. Bit worried about the fact that it's "only" 550w though, I'm never planning on running SLI or anything too fancy but isn't that a bit short ?

-Your point of view is very valid. I'll keep browsing cases until I find one I like - although I'm always worried that the mid tower cases might not be big enough for the monster graphics cards we get nowadays...

You're a star!

Deleted
    For the psu, 550w is a lot for this setup (i7+gtx970). Last few years power efficiency has improved alot especially for gpu's. Gone are the days that you needed monster psu's to feed them. For the setup at hand, i7+970, with everything at full load, that never happens unless you are running synthetic benchmarks, the rig will pull like 350w. Thats 200w overhead with a quality 550w, around 35% headroom in unrealistic scenario's. You could add another 970 to sli and still be have no problem power wise, although you'd need a psu with more pci-e connectors.
    So overclock that i7 if you want, overclock the 970 you got as well and still be fine.

edit: Current gpu's, like gtx1080 are less than 300mm long. The case above supports up to 420mm, you will never have a gpu clearance problem.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2017-02-17 at 12:38 PM.

Deleted
    Just one last question before I go ahead and order, regarding the heatsink - many times in the past I've had trouble fixing it on the motherboard because it was clashing with the RAM - what about the combo you posted ? The be Quiet dark rock pro 3 seems absolutely massive...

The memory Kos has posted is low profile so in theory it should not be a problem.

Deleted
    Yes it fits fine, corsair vengeance lpx is 34mm tall, dark rock pro 3 can clear up to 44mm. Mounting those cpu cooler is probably the hardest thing in a new build.

Deleted
    Hey guys, just wanted to give some feedback.

I went ahead with the following:

Case: Corsair Air 740
    Heatsing: Noctua NH-D15
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3mhz
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IX Hero
    CPU: i7 7700k
    PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2+ 550W Gold
    and I kept my MSI GTX 970ti Twin Frozr

The difference compared to my previous build is amazing and I'm really happy with it, so thanks a lot for that.
    However the CPU temps go up to ~65° when playing WoW in heavy conditions (large raids). I know it's a fairly "normal" temp for a CPU but I was expecting it to be much cooler with that heatsink. Did I miss something? Pretty sure I applied the thermal paste correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukizz View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to give some feedback.

I went ahead with the following:

Case: Corsair Air 740
    Heatsing: Noctua NH-D15
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3mhz
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IX Hero
    CPU: i7 7700k
    PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2+ 550W Gold
    and I kept my MSI GTX 970ti Twin Frozr

The difference compared to my previous build is amazing and I'm really happy with it, so thanks a lot for that.
    However the CPU temps go up to ~65° when playing WoW in heavy conditions (large raids). I know it's a fairly "normal" temp for a CPU but I was expecting it to be much cooler with that heatsink. Did I miss something? Pretty sure I applied the thermal paste correctly.
    65 celcius is fine, it just seems like a lot when coming from AMD which for many of their CPUs has a core thermal limit of 62 while Intel has that same thermal limit at 102.

Looks like a build you'll be happy with and will be able to handle a few generations of graphics cards without any problems.
    Only thing I'd remark on is the motherboard, seems overly pricy concidering you can get the same performance from a motherboard half the price.
    Last edited by Caelia; 2017-02-21 at 08:25 AM.

65C is... a bit warm. According to FrostyTech's review of the NH-D15 even with a 150 watt load the NH-D15 was only getting about 13C above ambient; even at double that amount you'd have to have a case temperature of 40C to push it close to that level, and the Air 740 should be nowhere near that. I'd double check your install on the heat sink, make sure you didn't use too much thermal paste on it or something like that.

Unless you're overclocking tremendously, that might do it.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    I haven't done any overclocking at all, so I guess I'll have a look at the heatsink again!

Thanks