AK Racing vs DX Racing Chairs

Before I get started, if this isn't the right forum for this thread...if a mod could put it in the correct one I'd be greatly appreciative.

I am looking to buy a new chair for my computer and general use. After being at PAX East this weekend and getting to sit in numerous DX Racing chairs I've come to the realization that I definitely need a new chair and I'm willing to invest some money into it. I have come to the conclusion that I am unsure of what to get between these two brands. Also, I noticed that every DX Racer model has weight recommendations for each model(heavier people have to spend more based on these recommendations). I am on the bigger side as well. So I guess I'm looking for a recommendation between these two..I'm looking to spend no more than $350. So my main questions are, does anyone have experience with both brand chairs and which do they prefer? If there's any heavier people using DX Racing chairs that are recommended for 200-250 pounds, but are heavier than that. My question regarding that topic is mostly if you've had it for more than a couple years and if yes how is the frame/cushions doing(AK Racing models all support up to 330lbs so this isn't a question for AK owners)?

I obviously am preferring DX, because it's the product I was just using over the weekend at PAX. However, I have heard lots of great things about AK Racing as well.

Thanks for your time!

7+ Year Old Account
    Hey OP, I have a dxracer (I can find exact model if you're interested).

First of all this chair is fucking awesome, comfy af with great support and recline to a near 180 (fallen asleep in it multiple times).
    This thing is also solid, sturdy and a good design pretty damn durable.

The only issues I'd say given your size (I'm about 6ft 180lbs) is the actual seat part isn't too wide, I fit nicely but frankly idk how big your ass is if that's a concern of yours. Also the recline arm can really drop you if too much weight is leaned on it (I've fallen over in the chair multiple times when I first got it and was super baked).

Overall it looks sleek af, and I love it 9.5/10.
    Hope my review is helpful
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    Hey OP, I have a dxracer (I can find exact model if you're interested).

First of all this chair is fucking awesome, comfy af with great support and recline to a near 180 (fallen asleep in it multiple times).
    This thing is also solid, sturdy and a good design pretty damn durable.

The only issues I'd say given your size (I'm about 6ft 180lbs) is the actual seat part isn't too wide, I fit nicely but frankly idk how big your ass is if that's a concern of yours. Also the recline arm can really drop you if too much weight is leaned on it (I've fallen over in the chair multiple times when I first got it and was super baked).

Overall it looks sleek af, and I love it 9.5/10.
    Hope my review is helpful
    I'm 5'10 275. However seeing the chair that I want has a recommended weight of 180 left me a bit thrown off. I prefer the DX cause I've sat in it, and it wasn't too narrow for me. It was also the same model I sat in all of pax. AK Racing chairs I'm interested support up to 330lbs. so that's making me lean there...I am just nervous about frame/cushion damage of a larger person sitting in the chair than the "recommended"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    I'm 5'10 275. However seeing the chair that I want has a recommended weight of 180 left me a bit thrown off. I prefer the DX cause I've sat in it, and it wasn't too narrow for me. It was also the same model I sat in all of pax. AK Racing chairs I'm interested support up to 330lbs. so that's making me lean there...I am just nervous about frame/cushion damage of a larger person sitting in the chair than the "recommended"
    Check out DX's Iron line. They list recommended weight of 250 and a limit of 275. Also, DX's King line has a recommended weight of 275 with a limit of 300. Lastly, the Sentinel line is recommended 325 and a limit of 350. They are a bit higher price than the Racing or Formula line, though, sitting in the mid-$400s.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Check out DX's Iron line. They list recommended weight of 250 and a limit of 275. Also, DX's King line has a recommended weight of 275 with a limit of 300. Lastly, the Sentinel line is recommended 325 and a limit of 350. They are a bit higher price than the Racing or Formula line, though, sitting in the mid-$400s.
    Yea, I have a budget unfortunately...just not sure if heavier people bought the racing line and have had the chairs a while without any damage.

Deleted
    I have the king series, got it Jan 2016 and mine came from the EU warehouse as I live in the UK. I love the thing, can't fault its comfort or adjustability at all. I got the king series because i'm 6ft6, and was 130kg (285lbs) at the time of ordering, I have lost about 30kg since then so its definitely roomy for me now! But its super comfy and adjustable, the foam is awesome and the headrest and lumbar support help your posture, I have definitely noticed a reduction in back pain since getting the chair (although the weight loss may also have something to do with this).

My only gripe about the DXRacer was there was some small cosmetic issues with mine, there was some paint chips on the base of the chair, and the side panel which hides the fittings doesn't sit properly, but these are small, purely cosmetic things so don't really affect the chair, I was just slightly disappointed when it first arrived because I paid £420 for it.

I would definitely recommend the chair, although if I could find a used Herman Miller Aeron for the same price, i'd probably go for that.

for larger peeps like myself from DXracer also check out Classic line

its similar to Iron/King

Deleted
    i've heard some rumors that non gamer focused brands of similar chairs are better or at least cheaper. read some discussion once that dxracer uses less metal parts then some competitor but i never bothered to look into it.

i'd personally also always go for a office variant over a gaming variant just for the looks anyways, but thats tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    i've heard some rumors that non gamer focused brands of similar chairs are better or at least cheaper. read some discussion once that dxracer uses less metal parts then some competitor but i never bothered to look into it.

i'd personally also always go for a office variant over a gaming variant just for the looks anyways, but thats tastes.
    It's for my home, so for looks I don't mind the looks. If it was for the office I would definitely get a most tastefully looking office chair.