Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I thought about it for a time. But then I realized I don't think I could handle people I don't know well being around.

But seriously though, it's clear you don't have a car (which is fine). A 10lb bag can easily fit in a backpack. Get a bike if you don't have one and done. Plan to go shopping before working out or something (lift bags of potatoes!) and just shower after.
    I don't have a car..but i do have a bike..but this winter has been pretty brutal for bike riding in Toronto. Normally I let the handlebars do all the work but that ain't happening right now. So I carry 4 bags or or 50 dollars worth of food I can carry. Its not having an elevator that kills me every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I'm just so over tomatoes right now. At least for a month or so. I just wish my apartment building had an elevator so carrying that 10 or 20 pound bag of potatoes didn't cover me in sweat when I reached my apartment floor. Another reason for tomato based recipes...its really easy to reheat for roommates.
    Why is it a choice between Tomatoes and Potatoes?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Why is it a choice between Tomatoes and Potatoes?
    i'm poor. and they taste great and filling. i'm weird that way.

It's a conspiracy by Big Tomato! You have no choice in the matter. In fact, if you did have a choice -- which you clearly don't -- it's obviously only between tomatoes and potatoes, as no other vegetables (nevermind that only one of them IS a vegetable) is available in the supermarkets due to this gross conspiracy.

I mean, pick up some fucking corn, broccoli, carrots, onions, lettuce, cucumbers, or whatever else instead of tomatoes (or potatoes)? You're out of your fucking mind. 1.) They're IMPOSSIBLE to find at the grocery store and 2.) even if they weren't, they're... uh... too heavy to carry (or whatever other stupid ass reason someone earlier in the thread mentioned)!

Yep. Free choice just doesn't exist when it comes to shit you shove in your mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    It's a conspiracy by Big Tomato! You have no choice in the matter. In fact, if you did have a choice -- which you clearly don't -- it's obviously only between tomatoes and potatoes, as no other vegetables (nevermind that only one of them IS a vegetable) is available in the supermarkets due to this gross conspiracy.

I mean, pick up some fucking corn, broccoli, carrots, onions, lettuce, cucumbers, or whatever else instead of tomatoes (or potatoes)? You're out of your fucking mind. 1.) They're IMPOSSIBLE to find at the grocery store and 2.) even if they weren't, they're... uh... too heavy to carry (or whatever other stupid ass reason someone earlier in the thread mentioned)!

Yep. Free choice just doesn't exist when it comes to shit you shove in your mouth.
    jeebus! I buy canned carrots & peas when I see a deal on chicken thighs.

Lately it seems like every single meal. How do people get away from tomatoes? Tomatoes are every where, in every food I can think of..unless of course i'm eating fast food hamburgers.

Is it the poor in me that has me eating tomato stuff?

Unless all you're eating are stuffed tomatoes, then you aren't eating tomato based meals.

Because spaghetti is pasta based, hamburgers are meat based, etc.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    Unless all you're eating are stuffed tomatoes, then you aren't eating tomato based meals.

Because spaghetti is pasta based, hamburgers are meat based, etc.
    lets get technical now :shrug: i know cheap tomato based meals, i'm canadian.

I think I made a thread about sushi already..but thanks though.
    Sushi is only a very small part of Japanese cuisine though. As long as you are willing to largely base your diet on rice, there are many dishes that you could try.

Steak, thick fries and breaded mushrooms! Maybe some onion rings. No tomatoes in sight.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    thats pure evil hubcap.

Deleted
    Lately it seems like every single meal. How do people get away from tomatoes? Tomatoes are every where, in every food I can think of..unless of course i'm eating fast food hamburgers.

1) There's lots of stuff that doesn't have tomatoes in it
    2) Tomatoes are great. There is nothing wrong with tomatoes.

If you look into the history of tomatoes, they were once considered poisonous and no one would eat them. They do tend to dominate Western style cuisine. You don't see them as much in Middle Eastern, Asian or African dishes. You might want to try some foods from those cultures.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Jayburner Simple solution, get one of those wheeled shopping bags. There's a reason they exist and are fairly common in places where people walk more.

With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    If you look into the history of tomatoes, they were once considered poisonous and no one would eat them. They do tend to dominate Western style cuisine. You don't see them as much in Middle Eastern, Asian or African dishes. You might want to try some foods from those cultures.
    did i mention i am canadian? I think I know every food in the world by now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Jayburner Simple solution, get one of those wheeled shopping bags. There's a reason they exist and are fairly common in places where people walk more.

I will when the emphesyma kicks in or whatever lung disease i'm due by now.

I personally avoid tomato in anything...bit difficult given the nature of tomatos as an ingrained staple, but I make the effort.

i'm poor. and they taste great and filling. i'm weird that way.
    Poor does not equal only tomatoes or potatoes.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The bolded bit made me stop and think... do you mean you order your burgers without tomatoes (or ketchup), so you can get away from them in that way? Or do you find that fast food hamburgers usually don't come with tomatoes? Because other than McDonalds, I can't think of any local burger place (Burger King, Wendy's, Sonic, Jack in the Box, Whataburger, Carl's Jr, In-N-Out, Steak 'n Shake) where tomatoes aren't standard on their 'standard' #1-combo type burger.

Tomato is awesome man, soup with cheese in it, pizza whatever. Here in Japan everything has fucking cabbage. I hate it. God japanese eat everything with cabbage. even the turkish guy selling kebab is preparing it with cabbage...kebab and cabbage? sacrilege...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    Tomato is awesome man, soup with cheese in it, pizza whatever. Here in Japan everything has fucking cabbage. I hate it. God japanese eat everything with cabbage. even the turkish guy selling kebab is preparing it with cabbage...kebab and cabbage? sacrilege...

im sorry man.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    name a meal that is tomato based? pasta can use tomato sauce but i would hardly call the meal "tomato based" also if your pasta sauce is any good it will have almost 0 hint of tomato flavor.
    Baked tomato on toast.

Salt, pepper, olive oil and basil on the tomato which has been halved. Shove in oven for half an hour.