Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    Still I think it is strange they actively patch the game to not work on those platforms anymore. Ending support and not fixing OS related bugs in the future is one thing, but disabling the games?
    It's really not as uncommon as you think. For example, Microsoft advises that Microsoft Office 2013/2016 can't be installed on Windows XP either. Many pieces of software with an emphasis on the user's quality of experience will just straight-up prevent it from being installed on unsupported platforms.

A game like WoW that goes through very regular software updates (with a huge emphasis on persistent, ongoing support rather than support at one point in time) doing this isn't surprising. Especially when you're actively selling a subscription to the service - it might create some odd legal situations about their obligations to support a product that they're distributing (new patches).
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2017-02-18 at 12:30 PM.

And thus que rage on forums about an issue which does not really exist.
    Let the XP finally die. Vista, well, too rare to be cared about.

Anyone else curious how much blizzard gets from Microsoft and manufacturers to force it's huge player base to upgrade? While in this case it's slightly reasonable, some past changes most notably being the increases minimum draw distance seem unnecessary and motivated by outside sources. That caused a lot of people I know to upgrade or quit.
    Wow came out in 2004, other then hard drive space, the game should still be able to run on a 2004 pc imo. If they want better graphics and stuff... make a new game? Or maybe at least clean up the layers of shit stacked on top of shit contained in their product before trying to push forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Poizo View Post
    It's the best OS to monitor what users are doing unless they have no network, one of the reasons why the upgrade was free.
    Ah, the classic paranoid nerd that thinks the world cares about what he does...

Smarter business move on Blizzard's behalf for one reason; Security. Microsoft ended support for XP in 2014 meaning that all the security concerns with that operating system was passed on to software developers who were forced to either pick up the slack (which Blizzard has) to keep their programs secure.

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    Still I think it is strange they actively patch the game to not work on those platforms anymore. Ending support and not fixing OS related bugs in the future is one thing, but disabling the games?
    Microsoft did the exact same thing with Dropbox last year, disabled XP users from creating new accounts via the application in June, then force-logouts and blocking of XP users from signing in via the app. It was however still accessible through the website for XP users though.
    Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/30600...is-summer.html

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    Embedded XP. That means POS terminals. Not really relevant for this thread I think?
    XP ... and you'd be surprised what sort of things we find people running on our POS terminals....

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Blizzard is only distancing themselves. It is not anyone call who or why anyone should use a certain OS.

With really good video card(s), XP runs awesome. Forcing this restriction is not a good move, IMO.

I never heard of a game abandoning, say, 2000, or ME. It's weird.
    I don't think XP even has DX11 support? If you have a good video card and run XP, you may as well throw it in the bin, where waste belongs.

I unsubed because of this. Naw jk, does this even matter?
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Anyone else curious how much blizzard gets from Microsoft and manufacturers to force it's huge player base to upgrade? While in this case it's slightly reasonable, some past changes most notably being the increases minimum draw distance seem unnecessary and motivated by outside sources. That caused a lot of people I know to upgrade or quit.
    Wow came out in 2004, other then hard drive space, the game should still be able to run on a 2004 pc imo. If they want better graphics and stuff... make a new game? Or maybe at least clean up the layers of shit stacked on top of shit contained in their product before trying to push forward?
    I don't think you understand game development. This move frees up resources across all their games, because they won't have to worry about any QA testing, or bug fixes for these platforms.

Also on the graphic upgrade stuff and new game, etc. Technically WoW is a new game each time it releases an expansion, it upgrades it's graphics each time. Would you rather the game be held back by 1% (probably lower) of users in terms of both visuals and systems. A good example of this is FFXIV, they are dropping support for PS3 in their upcoming expansion because it holds the game back with what they can do to, and along with that they are also urging all their players to switch to 64bit Operating System because some things on a 32bit system will just straight up not show on your screen because of the software limitation.

Companies don't need to be paid by outside companies to try and push someone elses product, when they want to continue the success of their own games and this is just the result of wanting to improve on their game(s).

I feel a bit old, remembering the hype when Windows XP came out.. and then the 100% bigger hype around SP2.

People still playing on old OS's stops progress because as a company you always have to take them into account. It's basically costing Blizzard money for extra support. After so many years, players had enough changes to upgrade. I think this is a good move on Blizzards part, as it means that we can move on as a community to better things.

You can also look at it from another perspective - do you want those players on ancient machines messing up your group or raid?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    XP ... and you'd be surprised what sort of things we find people running on our POS terminals....
    I done plenty of POS malware analysis. I know. Still not a relevant thing to support.

Think this'd mostly affect Internet Cafe users... if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Yeah but to be fair Vista was a pile of crap and with the extended support going this year it does make sense. I imagine even 7 will go eventually once it loses more market share and extended support ends but that won't be for years. Windows 10 has only just overtaken 7 in users.
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Only just overtaken? It has almost twice the userbase when it comes to gamers using Windows 10 vs Windows 7.

I just dont get why they cant continue security patches sparsely for vista. Why cant windows 7 security patches be tweaked to work on vista they are so similar. I think the 64 bit versions of Windows Vista should be supported until 2020.

Popular programs signaled the early deathknell for vista by discontinuation of updates for that platform or reduced functionality. Origin and Google chrome come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Xp came out in 2001
    vista in 2006

i understand Xp because it came out even before the game did

but vista i feel is alittle shitty

but eh whatever, if people are still running xp or vista... welll... lol
    please - vista had more bugs than classic WoW.

Deleted
    Doubt anyone even uses vista, xp is still used but I doubt any gamers use it either, 7/10 are better in every regard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Packing an i5 View Post
    I just dont get why they cant continue security patches sparsely for vista. Why cant windows 7 security patches be tweaked to work on vista they are so similar. I think the 64 bit versions of Windows Vista should be supported until 2020.

Popular programs signaled the early deathknell for vista by discontinuation of updates for that platform or reduced functionality. Origin and Google chrome come to mind.
    Because Microsoft has to invest money into something that yields no profits. No company does that.

I almost made the wrong move years ago. I had vista ultimate 64 bit a manufacturer's OEM disc. It cost me 102 dollars at the time to order a windows 7 home premium. Vista mainstream support had not yet ended. I could of stuck with vista to reduce the cost of building my new PC further.

Vista is a very capable and stable OS after the service packs were completed for it. Many of the issues people cried about are gone and one of them was not having enough ram the average PC had 2GB or less and was not ready for vista. Microsoft tried to give customers an in transition option with readyboost a feature continued and improved upon in 7 because it supported using more than one device for Readyboost.

I felt out of date when windows 8 came out and I didnt upgrade I never imagined id be offered a free upgrade to 10 from 7.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Xp came out in 2001
    vista in 2006

i understand Xp because it came out even before the game did

but vista i feel is alittle shitty

but eh whatever, if people are still running xp or vista... welll... lol
    If Microsoft isn't supporting it, then developers can't support it either. That's the way things go.

Quote Originally Posted by Packing an i5 View Post

Because Vista is a mess and not worth supporting. It's still going to get the March security updates but then April 11th the support goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    Absolutely! ActiVi$ion_Bli$$ard elected to redirect recources to probably the next bullshit social media integration, WhatsApp maybe.

Because their ANALysts said it would bring more profit tapping on new kids who in turn tap their parents' credit cards. Total disrespect for their Veteran WinXP gamers who purchased their games for no less than 15 years.

SAD!
    Well they clearly have the numbers that barely anyone is playing on XP hence the support drop. Why suppor an OS that is not supported by Microsoft anymore and barely anyone is using for WoW? Or is your only argument "hurr durr Blizzard greedy cuz they drop support for an unsupported OS"? Come back with an argument that holds some integrity because it's very normal for companies to drop unsupported Operating Systems. If you are still running XP for gaming then you are running a security vulnerability.

If 9% of the market share is XP then how many do you think actually game or play WoW on it? Because Blizzard clearly feel it's a very minor amount. Why would Blizzard support an OS that they know barely anyone is playing WoW on and that Microsoft no longer officially supports? Hate to tell you but it's not the first time they dropped an OS. 98/ME was dropped fully in 2.4 and 2000 was dropped with Mists.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-18 at 09:57 PM.