Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Thumbs up Free speech takes precedence over individual or group opinions

Per the title, I'd like to discuss the growing trend in America to try and censor views that some people find disagreeable. Free speech is protected under the 1st Amendment as any speech that does not threaten or guarantee physical harm against someone. Let's discuss how important this right is to having a free society.

it's by far one of, if not THE, most important of our rights.

i will always support it, no matter what.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it's by far one of, if not THE, most important of our rights.

i will always support it, no matter what.
    I would never say that it is more important than the right to security of the person.

I honestly didn't know how far the extent of free speech in the US went until this journalism law class I had. It's pretty astounding. Like I could get in trouble for burning a cross on a black person's lawn, but if I burned it on the whole neighborhood's lawn it wouldn't be hate speech.

Would still be vandalism and arson etc, but not a hate crime.

Guess I need to add that I would not do either of these, but it was a specific court case we had looked into as well as how WBC got away with lawsuits meanwhile a guy got convicted in the 40's for calling a cop a fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Per the title, I'd like to discuss the growing trend in America to try and censor views that some people find disagreeable. Free speech is protected under the 1st Amendment as any speech that does not threaten or guarantee physical harm against someone. Let's discuss how important this right is to having a free society.
    Perhaps it would help if you were to provide a few examples of this for us to discuss.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Free speech stops censorship by the government.

The only place that is close to happeneing, is the way Trump is targeting the media.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

I do think it's important to let people like Milo speak. If you don't like what he says, beat him in a debate. Don't destroy your own community and physically assault people to prevent him from speaking. That's just going to make people more curious about what he has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Perhaps it would help if you were to provide a few examples of this for us to discuss.
    From another thread:

Deleted
    Free speech has limits too, but I'm guessing you're not refering to such limits but rather to more extreme ideas of censoring opinions?
    Because there are a lot of people who think that spewing hate, biggotry and the like is covered by free speech and defend themselves with "WELL IT'S FREE SPEECH!" and I find that much worse.

A citizen punching a Nazi is not a violation of the 1A.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    I would never say that it is more important than the right to security of the person.
    The problem is that the left has conflated 'security' with 'feelings'. Here in Australia if I choose to make a racist comment I can be arrested, even tho the comment doesn't physically harm anyone. But because I may offend someone I am breaking the law. There has been a debate here for several years now over a persons right to free speech over a persons right not to be offended.

But because the Human Rights Commission has been overrun by leftists, free speech here in Australia has been trampled into the dirt. The thought police have taken over.

10+ Year Old Account
    From another thread:

We already have a thread on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Free speech has limits too, but I'm guessing you're not refering to such limits but rather to more extreme ideas of censoring opinions?
    Because there are a lot of people who think that spewing hate, biggotry and the like is covered by free speech and defend themselves with "WELL IT'S FREE SPEECH!" and I find that much worse.
    Saying "I hate x group" is definitely protected speech, as it should be.

From another thread:

That looks like an example of free speech
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    That looks like an example of free speech
    It is. But, if we didn't have free speech this person would likely have been fined or arrested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saying "I hate x group" is definitely protected speech, as it should be.
    Saying it's okay to punch certain people is also free speech. Until they do or make a direct threat on a person then you can't really do anything to them. Unless you think neo nazi's calling for "peaceful ethnic cleansing" are not protected under free speech?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post

The only place that is close to happeneing, is the way Trump is targeting the media.
    Shouldn't free speech also be a cultural, personal and moral value?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

It is. But, if we didn't have free speech this person would likely have been fined or arrested.
    But i thought you wanted to talk the growing trend of censorship...rather than the lack of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post

pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

Some people will point at the far left, like the situation at Berkeley (which i think its more protesting the pos then preventing him from talking) but many of the people they point to have zero power or influence

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    People commonly misuse 'freedom of speech' though. Freedom of speech does NOT mean freedom from consequences of said speech. Freedom of speech does not mean that any specific organization has to provide you a forum for your speech, nor does it mean that people can not choose to distance themselves from you over something you have said. Freedom of speech does not mean that you can't be banned from a forum for inappropriate posts, nor does it mean that your opinion must be given equally valid weight next to others. Freedom of speech does not mean that people can't petition a company to request they not use a term that is offensive, nor does it mean that nobody can tell you to shut up.

Freedom of speech is about the government not arresting people for voicing disagreement with it. And even then it is sometimes rightly bounded by other critical rights (like death threats being illegal, or shouting 'fire' in a theater due to violating other people's right to personal safety).