Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

Company fires 18 employees after they participated in 'A Day Without Immigrants'

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A total of 18 people were fired from a Tennessee business after joining the nation-wide protest "A Day Without Immigrants."

The 18 employees at Bradley Coatings, Incorporated in Nolensville, Tennessee told their supervisors on Wednesday they'd be taking part in the nationwide movement. Then, on Thursday, they were told they no longer had jobs.

"We are the team leaders directly under the supervisors and they informed us last night that we could not go back to work and the boss said we were fired," one employee said.

The former employee asked to remain anonymous but had this message to his former boss.

"I would tell him he was unfair, after working for them for so many years, giving him our best. They could not understand that it was just one day. We were going to make up that day on a Sunday, but they didn't understand that, and it was not the best way. They didn't give us an opportunity and just told us we were fired," he said.

"Tennessee is an employment-at-will state which basically means an employer can end your employment at any time without reason or cause. Of course there are a lot of different stipulations, civil rights issues that could stop them from doing that," Department of Labor and Workforce Development spokesman, Chris Cannon said.
    I'm ok with this. They were warned and decided to do it anyways. Also I think it's funny how the one employee said they were going to make up the work day on a sunday. How is it a protest if you're going to make up the day later? You're still doing the same work.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/national/18...out-immigrants
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hope they sue the employers. What jerks

10+ Year Old Account
    They should go to their union over this

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    They should go to their union over this
    I mean they literally refused to work. Companies have schedules to maintain.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

If I were their boss I probably would've let them go to the event, it would've built up some good will. On the other hand if them leaving shut down work and caused the employer a bunch of money, I can see why he's mad.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Not showing up to work without first asking for said day off is quite a legitimate reason to fire someone so fuck them, they don't deserve their jobs back nor should they have any right to sue their employers for their own actions that caused them to be fired
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

I wonder how much of this decision was policy and how much was emotional outrage.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    I wonder how much of this decision was policy and how much was emotional outrage.
    Likely zero

You can't just not show up for work...

7+ Year Old Account
    Not showing up on a scheduled shift without prior permission to take off is more than justifiable as a reason for dismissal.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hope they sue the employers. What jerks
    They can't really.

Tennessee is an employment-at-will state which basically means an employer can end your employment at any time without reason or cause.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    At-will state, just like the right-wingers like it.
    Last edited by Espe; 2017-02-18 at 10:01 PM.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Turns out the schools loved a day without immigrants though

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...igrants-posts/

Insert Grumpy Cat Good meme.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's quite simple, if your scheduled to work go to work, if you are scheduled and don't go you get fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

We are the team leaders directly under the supervisors..........that right there is what factory workers call a "clue". They probably slowed down/shut down production because they weren't there. Think about it like 18 school bus drivers didn't show up to work on a Thursday. Now you get to take the day off and lose wages to either take care of your kids or try to find a babysitter.

Their little day off put undue work load on others and their plan to work Sunday sounds like a real peach of an idea........18 team leaders sitting around milking the clock on Sunday at time and a half because if they ran production on Sunday then there would be team leaders already scheduled for that shift.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I'm ok with this. They were warned and decided to do it anyways. Also I think it's funny how the one employee said they were going to make up the work day on a sunday. How is it a protest if you're going to make up the day later? You're still doing the same work.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/national/18...out-immigrants
    Employment-at-will? What a wonderful country the US is, it truly cares for its citizens and keeping them employed...

Can't pull this kind of stuff if you're not in a union.

18 people is a significant number. And they just up and elected to effectively violate the contracts the company had by not showing up.

Ya can't do that.

These were illegal immigrants I take it? Why would you continue employing them after 1.) They didn't show up for work. 2.) Outed themselves for lying to you regarding their citizenship status when you hired them. 3.) It would be illegal to employ them.

If some citizen decides to take a day off just to capitalize on this cause, then fuck him. I would have fired him as well.

I can't wait till this company is found to actually have hired illegals. i mean its a painting company, labor.....its a possibility.
    Or some other kind of dirt they have been hiding.

The 18 employees at Bradley Coatings, Incorporated in Nolensville, Tennessee told their supervisors on Wednesday they'd be taking part in the nationwide movement. Then, on Thursday, they were told they no longer had jobs.

Of course this state is fully pro employer, so they are kind of safe.

Tennessee is an employment-at-will state which basically means an employer can end your employment at any time without reason or cause

If they did not get this in writing or taped communication these folks can just say they were sick and followed sick procedures, take it to labor board and at least get unemployment benefits. without proof they normally side with workers.