Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Angry 'Kill her and be done with it': MP behind anti-Islamophobia motion reads hate mail

It's always surprising to see this kind of thing happen next door in Canada. It's like your neighbor is this kindly 80 year old lady and one day the cops show up and remove 13 dead bodies from her crawl space under her house.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/thre...alid-1.3986563

The Liberal MP who tabled an anti-Islamophobia motion says she has been inundated with hate mail and death threats.

Mississauga, Ont. MP Iqra Khalid told the House of Commons Thursday she received more than 50,000 emails in response to M-103, many of them with overt discrimination or direct threats.

"I have asked my staff to lock the office behind me as I now fear for their safety," she said. "I have asked them not to answer all phone calls so they don't hear the threats, insults and unbelievable amount of hate shouted at them and myself."

She described a "chilling" video posted on YouTube that called her a terrorist sympathizer and disgusting human being.

Minister rejects 'cynical' Tory motion
    Conservatives wrestle with M-103
    MP won't remove Islamophobia reference
    "'I'm not going to help them shoot you, I'm going to be there to film you on the ground crying. Yeah, I'll be there writing my story with a big fat smile on my face. Ha ha ha. The Member got shot by a Canadian patriot,'" she read, quoting from the video.

And that, she said, was just tip of the iceberg. Here are some other messages she received and read in the House:

"Kill her and be done with it. I agree she is here to kill us. She is sick and she needs to be deported."
    "We will burn down your mosques, draper head Muslim."
    "Why did Canadians let her in? Ship her back."
    "Why don't you get out of my country? You're a disgusting piece of trash and you are definitely not wanted here by the majority of actual Canadians."
    Khalid said she has also received many messages of support.

The private members' motion she tabled, M-103, calls on the government to condemn and eliminate "Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination."

MPs debated an Opposition motion Thursday that was tabled by Saskatchewan Conservative MP David Anderson. His motion mirrors M-103, but removes the reference to Islamophobia and instead references six main faiths practised in Canada.

Media placeholderPlay Media
    MP Iqra Khalid shares the hateful messages she has received1:02

'Horrific hate speech'

Conservative MP and leadership candidate Erin O'Toole praised Khalid for being brave enough to read the passages of what he called "horrific hate speech."

Khalid is not the first politician to face insults and threats. Alberta Conservative MP Michelle Rempel is known to take on "Twitter trolls" and call them on their sexist messages.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne has also endured homophobic and sexist slurs.

Thursday evening Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly told CBC News Network's Power & Politics that she too had been on the receiving end of online abuse.

"Since I've presented the governments' response on this, I have myself been receiving lots of emails and trolls of people that have been presenting such outrageous comments," she said.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    We have crazy people here too, just less per capita than the US. It's too bad honestly.

We're not allowed to say bad things about Canada. Endus will be around soon to close this.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

if not wanting the barbaric law of islam encroaching in any part of my or my loved ones life makes me "islamaphobic" sign me up.

only people who truly hate women would support such a vile belief

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-02-17 at 09:14 PM.

Some crazies are beyond help.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    if not wanting the barbaric law of islam encroaching in any part of my or my loved ones life makes me "islamaphobic" sign me up.

Its strange how being critical of other religions doesn't have an ism word...i wonder why that is.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post

I think the exact same about most religions.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is good because it happened in Canada tho

or something

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I think the exact same about most religions.
    Exactly, but its PC to harp about Christianity's over reach while white gloves are required to discuss Islam's least you want to be branded as some horrible person. It seems to me that these folks with their death threats feel the only way for their voices to be heard is to threaten with violence. Much like the crazy protests in the states where folks are violently attacking those who they disagree with..i doubt it will work for them unless to become far more committed.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Exactly, but its PC to harp about Christianity's over reach while white gloves are required to discuss Islam's least you want to be branded as some horrible person. It seems to me that these folks with their death threats feel the only way for their voices to be heard is to threaten with violence. Much like the crazy protests in the states where folks are violently attacking those who they disagree with..i doubt it will work for them unless to become far more committed.
    Riots are one way to use violence to get what you want, but using the government is far more effective. It is essentially the same thing, although government is more powerful and more violent. My country has a very long track record of using the threat of violence of the government to push a Christian agenda.

Emails can be sent by anyone. For all we know half the 50k emails are the same guy on welfare lol.

Prove me wrong about Shari'a Endus.

Remember when you were a kid and you talked about what super power you would pick if you could have one? Remember when someone eventually said mind reading, and there was debate about whether or not you really wanted to know what everyone else was thinking? Thanks to the Internet, it appears we now all know. I think I was right back then; I believe I was happier not knowing what people believe and are actually thinking.

Maybe she should of thought about representing her peoples interests rather then others...

her "motion" sounds like a waste of good paper.

represent your people, human rights, gay and women's rights. that's what a first world nation should fight to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Never change!
    White washing death threats to an innocent woman, you guys never seem to hit your lowest point.
    Every political figure on earth gets death threats every day. Boo hoo. This woman is trying to make any criticism of her religion a crime. That is far more dangerous than benign death threats.

7+ Year Old Account
    Canadian government is content to bury it's head in the sand and ignore what canadians actually want. If she got 50,000 emails and letters from the crazy fringe , imagine how many canadians are out there that just silently and politely disagree.

We live in a nice modern age of computers

Let's have a nation wide vote on these radical immigration and refugee policy's and be done with it , and before you say "blah blah blah elected officials" no one could have seen what horror these radical dangerous officials are doing to our country. I find it sad that harper would have been a much better choice

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Never change!
    White washing death threats to an innocent woman, you guys never seem to hit your lowest point.
    What would you do without us? You are but our shadow following in our wake

That being said why is she surprised the religion known for getting children to behead people and exploding things isn't really something people want to be fined or jailed for criticizing?

When did protecting backwards thinking become an ideal we strove for? Let her crazy beliefs be dragged into the daylight were they can be broken like every other bad idea before them.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasuem View Post
    Every political figure on earth gets death threats every day. Boo hoo. This woman is trying to make any criticism of her religion a crime. That is far more dangerous than benign death threats.
    No, no she isn't. What was tabled was basically a request for the government to officially say that religious hate crimes (including islamophobia) is bad and to maybe look into ways to reduce it's frequency. It's something the government has done in the past repeatedly, condemning discrimination against Jews and against Coptic Christians notably. The motion suggests absolutely 0 new laws.

Where was all this hatred when the government was condemning violence towards Coptic Christians?

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    That being said why is she surprised the religion known for getting children to behead people and exploding things isn't really something people want to be fined or jailed for criticizing?
    The motion does not suggest any changes in law, and would not make criticizing Islam illegal. It's slightly disturbing that people don't seem to understand the difference between a valid criticism of a religious practice, and encouraging people to murder anyone who practices a religion. In Canada, the first is protected speech, the second is a hate crime.
    Last edited by Lynarii; 2017-02-17 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    I think the idea is that Christianity is old hack, and its pretty much built into Canadas default function. Theres an entire Catholic School System. Literally every day on the way to work I gotta listen to a preacher on the street scream me down on the way to the bus for not respecting god by listening to them or going to their church. People are sticklers about calling it Islamophobia because other religious have the same kind of 'do terrible things to women' stuff in them, that modern people selectively ignore - and people assume for some reason that Islam is the only religion where that selective ignorance doesnt apply somehow.

Islam is the only religion that you can mention and get normal people just.. spazzing about. mindlessly. We don't call everything crazy white people do for jesus 'radical christianity', We don't call school shooters Terrorists despite causing way more death in North America than actual Terrorists. Nobody does those things, and nobody treats it as something to live in constant terror of. DESPITE HAVING A MUCH GREATER CHANCE OF HAPPENING.

The insistence on Islamaphobia, and fighting it, is just committing to fight IRRATIONAL hatred and fear. It'd be completely different if the people who argue against it could at least acknowledge the parallels between it and any other religion, but they won't.

Understand that RATIONAL arguments against Islam (Which, I admit, there are many of), also apply in nearly all ways to Christianity, and so it behooves people to use irrational fear of Islam to argue against it, so they can circumvent having to make those arguments and having them turned back on them later.