LF macro that will cancel if my target dies

Basically any instant cast spell that you're about to cast on a (friendly) target ie. Life Cocoon that will cancel if that person dies before you can cast it on them. Whats happening is I'll be running across a map trying to get to someone about to die spamming Cocoon so the moment they get in range I'll cast it on them, but just as I get to them they die and I end up casting it on myself -_-

If you use a target modifier you can prevent the self cast.
    This will prevent it from casting on yourself, unless you have yourself as target.

Code:
    /cast [@target, help] Life Cocoon
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Quote Originally Posted by nickp007 View Post
    Basically any instant cast spell that you're about to cast on a (friendly) target ie. Life Cocoon that will cancel if that person dies before you can cast it on them. Whats happening is I'll be running across a map trying to get to someone about to die spamming Cocoon so the moment they get in range I'll cast it on them, but just as I get to them they die and I end up casting it on myself -_-
    You should be using something like VuhDo for this kind of thing and it won't happen. Switching target for every heal is just a waste of time and causes issues like that.

You should be using something like VuhDo for this kind of thing and it won't happen. Switching target for every heal is just a waste of time and causes issues like that.
    or just use mouseover macro's.

@OP

If you want to try mouseover, you can just use @mouseover instead of @target
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Quote Originally Posted by Quibble View Post
    or just use mouseover macro's.

@OP

If you want to try mouseover, you can just use @mouseover instead of @target
    You can mouseover on VuhDo too. Saves macro spaces. Literally no downside.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    I've not tried VuhDo.

I just know that I tried to get one of those mouseover addons for healers, recommended by some of the healers in my guild. I found it way more confusing than just spending 10min to make mouseover macro's for each spell and using whatever raid frames you normally do.

I also don't get the idea that you want all your spells to be on mouse binds with modifiers, rather than just using normal keyboard binds and mouseover.

Look up targeting conditionals, and adjust your macros so that you have a mod and no mod key version of each heal spells in the spells macro; for example
    - No Modifier = always uses the spell on a target (if friendly), or target of target (if target is hostile), will not cast if target is dead, and will not cast on self.
    - Modifier = always uses the spell on yourself.

So for example, if your chosen modifier key is Alt, just get used to holding ALT when hitting any heal to heal yourself, and hitting the heal by itself to heal other people.

My syntax is probably off a bit, but a Life Cocoon macro would look something like

/cast NoMod (@Target, nodead, noplayer, help); NoMod (@TargetofTarget, nodead, noplayer, help) Life Cocoon; Mod[Alt] @player Life Cocoon

Not exactly sure what the conditional for "not at the player" is, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2017-02-19 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quibble View Post
    I've not tried VuhDo.

I just know that I tried to get one of those mouseover addons for healers, recommended by some of the healers in my guild. I found it way more confusing than just spending 10min to make mouseover macro's for each spell and using whatever raid frames you normally do.

I also don't get the idea that you want all your spells to be on mouse binds with modifiers, rather than just using normal keyboard binds and mouseover.
    Mouseover macros or clickcasting is personal preference, but i like clickcasting, because you free up a lot hotkeys, that can be used for utility/damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    /cast NoMod (@Target, nodead, noplayer, help); NoMod (@TargetofTarget, nodead, noplayer, help) Life Cocoon; Mod[Alt] @player Life Cocoon
    /cast [@player,mod:alt][@mouseover,nodead,help][@target,nodead,help][@targettarget,nodead,help] Life Cocoon

While you can use such a macro with a lot of choices it often leads to accidental casting on the wrong targets. I would at least leave @targettarget out for this reason. I added mouseover, because it'S often used in this context.
    Last edited by Grenor; 2017-02-19 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    IIRC, mouseover do offer more flexibility than VuhDo, especially when playing around with conditionals (cf. Surfd and Grenor posts)
    MW Monk - Bilgamesh
    Resto shaman - Hexxtra - UI on Wowinterface
    Holy paladin - Kaytemoss - UI on Wowinterface

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytemoss View Post
    IIRC, mouseover do offer more flexibility than VuhDo, especially when playing around with conditionals (cf. Surfd and Grenor posts)
    While it's not commonly used, it is easily possible to use conditionals on clickcasting(at least with Clique, dunno about Vuhdo).
    Last edited by Grenor; 2017-02-20 at 04:33 PM.