Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How rich is Bill Gates?

Bill Gates makes a bit over $200 every second of every day, 365 days a year.

That's a little over $17.3M per day, $121M per week, 6.32B per year.

To put that into perspective, if he had a 9 to 5, 5 day a week work schedule like most of us (40 hour work week), he'd be making over $3M per hour.

He makes Donald Trump's net worth in about half a year's work.

Jerry Seinfield is listed as the world's richest actor at $800M. That's less than 2 month's work for Bill.

He makes more money than about half of the world's countries.

He is expected to be the world's first trillionaire in about 26 years or so.

In 2007 he was worth $57B and has donated about $28B to charity since then. Today he is worth around $87B
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Recently there was a news article about Gates becoming the world's first trillionaire.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/23/bill-...llionaire.html

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Bill Gates makes a bit over $200 every second of every day, 365 days a year.

That's a little over $17.3M per day, $121M per week, 6.32B per year.

To put that into perspective, if he had a 9 to 5, 5 day a week work schedule like most of us (40 hour work week), he'd be making over $3M per hour.

He makes Donald Trump's net worth in about half a year's work.

Jerry Seinfield is listed as the world's richest actor at $800M. That's less than 2 month's work for Bill.

He makes more money than about half of the world's countries.

He is expected to be the world's first trillionaire in about 26 years or so.

In 2007 he was worth $57B and has donated about $28B to charity since then. Today he is worth around $87B
    When he dies, he will be worth zero, and his children will get one million dollars, since he pledged it all to charity. Something something greedy wealthy something rich should pay fair share because government manages charity better something something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    When he dies, he will be worth zero, and his children will get one million dollars, since he pledged it all to charity. Something something greedy wealthy something rich should pay fair share because government manages charity better something something.
    He already stated that he plans on donating 99% of his wealth to charity before he dies. Although death is never planned, we can assume when he is of "retirement" age, he is going to be writing some large checks.

As for his children, they don't need his money, they already have his connections and his name. They're set for life. No need to pity them.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

Deleted
    Actually, i disliked Bill Gates in microsofts monopoly years.

But he evolved to much better nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Actually, i disliked Bill Gates in microsofts monopoly years.

But he evolved to much better nowadays.
    "Business is mean. Charity is nice."

How deep...

10+ Year Old Account
    "Business is mean. Charity is nice."

How deep...
    I'd label it "Monopolies are bad. Sharing some of your wealth with those in dire need is good."

Hopefully all the money going into charity can fix the mistake that was Windows 10.

7+ Year Old Account
    Very rich.

I hope he donates a nice chunk to NASA.

When anyone dies their net worth will be zero. Hence the expression "You can't take it with you".

Bill Gates Children will be just fine.

It's funny how certain people demonize the act of giving away to charity.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    When anyone dies their net worth will be zero. Hence the expression "You can't take it with you".

Bill Gates Children will be just fine.

It's funny how certain people demonize the act of giving away to charity.
    I don't know who those people would be. I am certainly not making that point, and I have never heard a single human espouse it, until now.

Putin is estimated to be worth 200$ billion. That's some serious extractive institutioning right there.

I don't know who those people would be. I am certainly not making that point, and I have never heard a single human espouse it, until now.
    Your comments left me with an impression that you were eschewing Gates for not leaving all his money to his children.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Your comments left me with an impression that you were eschewing Gates for not leaving all his money to his children.
    My point was that everyone thought he was evil, for having the gall to be wealthy, until he gave it all away. But, his fortune, as well as the fortune of Warren Buffet (also pledged to charity) are included in the silly politicized math endeavors that are aimed at showing us how unfair it is that the wealthy own everything, and what bad people they must be for acquiring this wealth. In those exercises, they never point out that the two richest people in the world will be giving it all away, at which time the mathematical exercise will get blown away.

My point was that everyone thought he was evil, for having the gall to be wealthy, until he gave it all away. But, his fortune, as well as the fortune of Warren Buffet (also pledged to charity) are included in the silly politicized math endeavors that are aimed at showing us how unfair it is that the wealthy own everything, and what bad people they must be for acquiring this wealth. In those exercises, they never point out that the two richest people in the world will be giving it all away, at which time the mathematical exercise will get blown away.
    Bill Gates did some legitimately shitty things to build Microsoft... most of the criticisms levied at him are regarding that. It wasn't about him being wealthy...it has how he acquired his wealth.

At the same time...he is also the world's largest philanthropist...so he gets credit for that.

Bill Gates did some legitimately shitty things to build Microsoft... most of the criticisms levied at him are regarding that. It wasn't about him being wealthy...it has how he acquired his wealth.

At the same time...he is also the world's largest philanthropist...so he gets credit for that.
    Does he get credit for that in the "studies" that show how unfair it is that so few hold so much wealth? Of course not. They don't even give credit to inflation in those "studies".

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    All I know is that the dude gives away more money to charities than literally anyone else in the world, and he earns major brownie points from that. If only our glorious leader could take a page from Gates' book in that regard...

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    he is very rich that if he gives u 0.1% of his wealth, you will become rich

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Hopefully all the money going into charity can fix the mistake that was Windows 10.
    Windows 10 wasn't Bill Gates' mistake. Windows 10 happened on Satya Nadella's watch.