Video Cards: Upgrade now or wait for Volta?

I've been slumming it with a 780ti for 4 years now, and ever since Pascal came out, I've been itching for an upgrade. This became especially apparent once I noticed bargain cards such as the 1050 were offering similar power as my 780 for less than $200. At some point last year I decided that an upgrade would have to be in order either during Pascal or the next generation Volta.

For those of you in the know, what do you suggest? I'd likely be buying a 1070 now, but from what little I've seen waiting til 2018 for Volta may also be the correct choice as I have a 4k monitor, and it's very possible that Volta will be able to render 4k on a single card.

My 780 is definitely a trooper, but it's starting to flag on games even in 1080p when I try to play on ultra. upgrading to a 1070 would at least allow me to game at 1440p.

2018's a long way away. A 1080 Ti or Vega GPU are much closer. I'd ask this question again next month when those cards have been detailed, as they purportedly both will be on February 28th; now is a pretty bad time to buy a high-end card in my opinion.
    Super casual.

20XX series will be out soon. I'd wait for them to drop before buying a new card.

I think you're right. Waiting is probably the correct answer 90% of the time unless there's something you need the extra power for immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hothgor View Post
    20XX series will be out soon. I'd wait for them to drop before buying a new card.
    there has been no confirmation it's going to be called the 2000 series.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

well personally theres is no way I would game on 4K or 1440p on a 780, so I would have already bought a 1080 back in 2016

but atm you should probably wait and get either a 1080Ti/2080Ti (or a 2080) or Vega .. Volta is in 2018 at best, who knows when it will drop in reality

but yeah top-tier Volta single card will push well over 60 fps @ 4K maxed out

10+ Year Old Account
    id wait for pascal refresh if i were you

The issue with waiting for "the latest" is you'll be waiting forever. Technology will continue to refresh itself better and better. You can wait until the next two big updates from amd/nvidia come out but that'll be in 2018 unless you want to look at Vega. Depending on what you plan to play in terms of games a 1080ti should roll through 60 fps at 4k. A single 1080 can already push 4k by itself in most cases at 60fps. But it's up to you. 1080ti should be out soonish.

You can wait until the next two big updates from amd/nvidia come out but that'll be in 2018
    right now the leaks/rumors dont show any big GPU arch from AMD for 2018

supposedly there is a Vega card done on 7nm in 2018 (Vega20), but:

- rumors say that it will be done to reduce power draw, no big performance increase
    - a flagship card (or any card) @ 7nm being ready as early as 2018 is extremely doubtful .. most likely we will spend 2018 (if not longer) on 14nm/16nm

the Navi architecture is only slated for 2019, assuming no delays

so for 2018 you can only look forward to big Volta, but even that isnt set in stone

Well it depends if your 780Ti still suits your needs. If you want to play in 1440p RIGHT NOW and other hardware is covered then by all means upgrade, GTX 1070 is a good choice and will be competitive for at least 3 more years. 2xxx series likely wont offer any substantial improvement (we're looking at 15-20% tops for a GTX 2070, assuming it gets GDDR5X). Currently there is no significant pressure from AMD, so nothing stop Nvidia from delaying Volta, so it's pretty safe to assume that Nvidia will be ready to release new generation right before AMD comes up with anything significant, like they did with Pascal.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

well.. amd's announcement today was a little underwhelming.

really hope the 580/april rumours are promising, i need that 1070-tier amd card ;-;

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/st...79965458755584
    GTX 1080s will be $500 real soon. A 28% price drop on this beastly video card makes it quite attractive. If the 1070 drops in price it won't be as precipitous a fall, and I can't find any announcement of such a price change, but if you're looking to spend about five bills on a GPU I - even as a steadfast AMD mule - would find it hard to not recommend the 1080 once its price change hits retailers.
    Super casual.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nvidia just announced price cuts, if its true, then after they drop it may look tempting

I think 1070 is supposed to be $350 now . .not sure how official it is