Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    He is talking about ad revenue from youtube. Nintendo is making claims on his video/s.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I get from the video. nintendo is issuing a copyright against at least one of his videos. He is in turn using the logic, "since they do it to me, it's ok for you to do it to them."
    It's more like his complaint is that copyright is a two way street and Nintendo are being dickbags and acting like copyright laws exist only to protect them and not everyone else. And copyright laws even allow for content creators on YouTube to use multiple copyrighted pieces in order to null and void other copyright complaints. In doing so, it diminishes the entire value of copyright infringement complaints by Nintendo against YouTubers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    They might not be as profitable, but they still earn money.

With a digital distribution platform, why *wouldn't* you retain ownership and continue to sell something as long as you possibly can ?
    Because fans are sick of getting milked like cows for poorly done ports of classic games? How about the fact that Nintendo has continually taken a giant fucking dump all over the chests of their most loyal fans and streamers alike. Their attitudes towards streaming is embarrassing and archaeic.

It's Nintendo. It's always been morally acceptable to do that.

Deleted
    Piracy is illegal, and its dosnt matter if you disagree. Simple as that.
    Games are being made to create profit- and not out of pure enjoyment.
    I'm sure most people here have tried downloading a game or movie illegal from the internet. So I also know hot common it is, yet its still illegal.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just used to use Vizzed when I wanted to play old Nintendo games. Apparently they do the licensing a legitimate way. /shrug.

Though with the new Mini-Nes systems, many of the games I play as roms are now legit copies, but there are hundreds that you will likely never find.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2017-02-21 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I really am just trying to why or how someone can claim to own particular sequences of ones and zeroes.

I am not pro theft. Stealing someone's wallet is wrong.
    The same way people can claim to own a particular sequence of letters to make words. As in plagiarism of books, songs, etc. which are also copyrighted.

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    Piracy is illegal, and its dosnt matter if you disagree. Simple as that.
    Depending where you live this is true, In other area's of the world it isn't.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Wait, why does Germany hate the band Aqua?
    We dont I guess. GEMA is the culprit here, which just decides "well, Google didnt pay us an absurd amount of money, so fuck you dear user, we won't allow you to watch that video because of Music X was in it and google didnt get the rights to show it on YT." It's one of the reasons why there are certain german-run proxy addons for chrome and firefox, which just unblock those videos - there has been a lot of meetings between both google and GEMA, and only recently they came to an agreement, but that is still an ongoing process.

Ontopic: Some people who are bashing Jim Sterling seem to either not know or forget the following:
    Nintendo puts their claims on everything that has Nintendo-footage in it. It doesn't matter if your video is monetized by ads or not, they just do it and want to gain revenue for it - a video that isn't even theirs, something that they absolutely can't even take credit for besides making a game that is shown in that video, be it gameplay footage or a trailer or even a goddamn press conference. Some people might see it as FREE advertisement. Big companys see it as "theft".
    Another thing why Sterling is somewhat pissed at nintendo: He hates their whole company PR. He mocks them for it a shitton of times and even had more than one rant about them because of it. Also, his Jimquisition show actually isn't even monetized on YT. He never has ads on it, because he gets paid by patreon per Jimquisition Episode - Nintendo actually isn't even losing money to him. They're just really money hungry as all hell, which is the reason a lot of people just dont care about making Nintendo Videos anymore, and one of his reasons for why he is saying "well, fuck those guys."

Is it okay to pirate their games? No. BUT its understandable that people actually do it considering how much nintendo tries to fuck with the customer. Also, wanting to replay a really old game but you dont have a NES/SNES/Gameboy or whatever anymore is one of the reasons ROM's exist. This whole NES Classic thing is just another icying on the shitcake that is Nintendo, not to mention the rarity of this "new" console and limiting its own sales because... no reason.

Also, his whole Copyright-Deadlock thing is probably one of the best things that has ever happened. The sheer stupidity of Nintendo America and Nintendo Japan (and many other companies) claiming seperate COPYRIGHT CLAIMS on one of his video is completely absurd and funny at the same time.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about Shakespeare?
    This page should clarify that for you https://law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/. It provides a relatively brief explanation about the laws involved, and without an excess of legal jargon that you find when researching specific laws. The second and third paragraphs of the page are most likely what you want, if you don't care to read about the topic at length.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

What about Dolphin emulator? Or playing other games for free that is near impossible to buy atm. Even if I buy them, it will really be second hand business and none of the money really goes to Nintendo anyways. I feel as if laws need to make note on "outdated" or discontinued content. Create some pseudo public-domain for them IMO.

In the end, pirating is theft. Simple. Try to play all the mental gymnastics you want, you are getting something for free that normally should be payed for. Having said that, I don't think lesser of those who do pirate and even have close friends that are open about it. If they are caught and end up facing some form of reciprocity (idk, a fine or ban), they have nothing to argue against it.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Nintendo are corporate scum fucks, more news at 11.

Frankly, I wouldn't feel at all bad if I downloaded some old ass game for an emulator. Especially if I already owned it before and the hardware broke down in the meantime.

Deleted
    I just really don't understand what you are trying to ask. I don't know of anything besides binary code that has to do with sequences of 1's and 0's......
    Anything stored digitally is a series of ones and zeros.

Well given that Nintendo claim everything from videos that have so much as a screen shot of their games in them I'd say it's reasonable an argument to make. If Nintendo had their way they'd have you pay them everytime you said Mario or Zelda.

Deleted
    From what I get from the video. nintendo is issuing a copyright against at least one of his videos. He is in turn using the logic, "since they do it to me, it's ok for you to do it to them."
    Not going to watch the video because i don't have time/can't be arsed.

Sterling's logic is fucked if that's his primary case.
    I assume Nintendo are claiming vid's that display their games, right? In my mind that is their IP that is on display and should come under some sort of fair use policy.

In literature it's ok to photocopy like 2% of a book (I don't know the exact percentage/figure) before having to pay for a complete copy, but then how do you quantify the percentage of a game that's on view? It's hard, but I can't disagree with Ninty on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzin View Post
    Well given that Nintendo claim everything from videos that have so much as a screen shot of their games in them I'd say it's reasonable an argument to make. If Nintendo had their way they'd have you pay them everytime you said Mario or Zelda.
    Whether or not it's good for their business it's their IP and they can control it how they see fit. Youtubers crying about Nintendo's policies toward them are always laughable to me. Go cover/play another game there are tons released every month that don't have Nintendo's policies. If you truly want to hurt Nintendo then stop advertising their shit and then later crying about it when they claim it.

Who cares about morals when you can play Mario Kart?

- - - Updated - - -

Anything stored digitally is a series of ones and zeros.
    And there is a series on 1's and 0's out there that can make me an instant trillionaire. I just need to find them.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Whether or not it's good for their business it's their IP and they can control it how they see fit. Youtubers crying about Nintendo's policies toward them are always laughable to me. Go cover/play another game there are tons released every month that don't have Nintendo's policies. If you truly want to hurt Nintendo then stop advertising their shit and then later crying about it when they claim it.
    Then it that's the case they need to ban all use of their stuff and have videos pulled. They do not get to lay any claim to works produced by others for the sake of profit.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzin View Post
    Then it that's the case they need to ban all use of their stuff and have videos pulled. They do not get to lay any claim to works produced by others for the sake of profit.
    They actually do... and they do so.

Just because you say something doesn't make it true.

You can argue that Nintendo has a bad policy on this. Which they do. Don't try to backseat lawmaker and claim what they can or can't do with their own Intellectual Property.

But hey kid, good luck getting google to fight this case for you and go to court with Nintendo LUL.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-02-21 at 12:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still trying to figure out if he actually stole those cards...

15+ Year Old Account
    Its not "morally okay." Sorry Jim. Just because you want to monetize playing their games, doesn't suddenly make it okay for everyone else to steal their product.

The old 'eye for an eye'.

Nintendo's region lock makes it okay to pirate their games, according to Jim, so it must be okay for me to watch and read Jim's content re-uploaded to other channels and other sites so that he doesn't benefit from ad revenue in any way, and edited to remove any mention of patreon or any other means for him to earn money from his videos. Because, opinions.