Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mmo-Champion More Hostile Than Other Forums?

Am I the only one who seems to notice that the community on this website tends to be pretty hostile compared to other wow sites? I notice a fair amount seem to act smug or aggravated, alot more than other sites. Most common is posters derailing threads or generally being trolly. Could it be due to the nature of WoW as a game attracting people like this? I've been on this site for 7 years, and it's tough finding someone nice. Anyone else notice this?
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2017-02-23 at 02:49 PM.

I too hope they take away the rights of people here to say whatever they want so you'll only see the posts of people who've learned to behave and conform but consequently will never enlighten you about your failings so you can fix yourself.

It's the best way to destroy you all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people around here take forum discussions way too personally and have issues with moderators that they again take way too personally. Forums is srs bzns basically

see above

http://reddit.com/r/wow is a very pro-Blizzard sub-reddit.

My guess is a lot of people who were shoved off the wow general forums wound up here, some of them angry. Also there are a lot of forum members who like to troll the fans of wow, these trolls don't care about wow but they like to see the forum rage.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Which specific other sites are you talking about? I know the people over at wowhead don't take kindly to shitposting or even disagreeing with their own personal agenda and won't hesitate to outright ban people on first offense.

MMO-C is a forum with a large amount of visitors, which are bound to have different opinions on pretty much everything. That can create friction. It's not about the nature of WoW, it's about the nature of people in general.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

7+ Year Old Account
    MMO Gen OT is the Barrens chat of any wow forum :P

Deleted
    On the contrary. The community here, while having a few weirdos and aggressors, is quite civil and has more in-depth discussions than a lot of other forums that I've visited in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    http://reddit.com/r/wow is a very pro-Blizzard sub-reddit.

My guess is a lot of people who were shoved off the wow general forums wound up here, some of them angry. Also there are a lot of forum members who like to troll the fans of wow, these trolls don't care about wow but they like to see the forum rage.
    That makes sense. I like the design of this site and the forum variety tho.

I would probably go completely insane if I had to moderate this forum, so who can blame the mods for having a little fun every once in a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Some people around here take forum discussions way too personally and have issues with moderators that they again take way too personally. Forums is srs bzns basically
    To be fair, a lot of posts are intentionally made personal. The only appropriate response then is to either leave (counterproductive) or respond with equal force.
    Last edited by Sail into the wind; 2017-02-23 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Am I the only one who seems to notice that the community on this website tends to be pretty hostile compared to other wow sites? I notice a fair amount seem to act smug or aggravated, alot more than other sites. Most common is posters derailing threads or generally being trolly. Could it be due to the nature of WoW as a game attracting people like this? I've been on this site for 7 years, and it's tough finding someone nice. Anyone else notice this?
    Yeah, we are full of angry trolls. But they're not most people, they are just the loudest. If you take some time reading, you will find a lot of decent guys in here, maybe even some nice ones.

And the trolls take turns being banned, anyhow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sail into the wind View Post
    To be fair, a lot of posts are intentionally made personal. The only appropriate response then is to either leave (counterproductive) or respond with equal force.
    I don't find ignoring people that are being weirdly aggressive for the sake of it counter productive but eh I can see your point. If someone singles you out the need to respond is a thing but if I see it's going no where and this other user is just going to keep making thinly veiled insults I'll easily drop the conversation and find someone else to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Yeah, we are full of angry trolls. But they're not most people, they are just the loudest. If you take some time reading, you will find a lot of decent guys in here, maybe even some nice ones.

And the trolls take turns being banned, anyhow.
    Thanks. Good to know

Deleted
    Comunities express the tone of their moderation. This is not hostile at all. Its simply aranged to encourage shitposting.

15+ Year Old Account
    With the polarization of US politics OT sure took a turn to the worse the past years.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    This is, to my knowledge, the largest WoW forum. I don't think even Blizz's website has this much activity.

With so many people, you are more likely going to snag increasing numbers of aggressive people. If you look at the names, you find that many of prodding threads on O/T are created by a dozen or so people. As a percentage, that isn't a lot of people for this site...but that small percentage of people make up 25% or more of the prodding content.

Yeah this forum look like a battleground

I once thought WoW had a pretty rough community and then for a while, I play Call of Duty Black Ops 3 and and Battlefield 4 and was reminded of what a really terrible player base looks like.

There is a lot more freedom here than say the WoW forums and unhappy campers\mad at Blizzard people get a chance to vent their frustrations. Many years ago, I use to spend a lot of time hanging out in the Tech Support part of various game forums, if you spent much time there, you would think every game ever made was horrible garbage that was so bug riddled it was unplayable by anyone. There is a section of people who would rather rant and rave then actually try to solve the problem, and very very few accepted that maybe they had a problem with their systems.

I don't visit other wow related sites that much, so I can't say how much better or worse they are.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Only those I have on my ignore list are. Once you do some cleaning up in the way of ignoring some, it is a nice forum.

OT can be tough, but it's actually a really excellent forum with some really smart and interesting people, Putinbots aside. And yes anything involving Trump and/or Russia turns into a fucking war.

I can't comment about the gaming side of the forums, because outside of raiding, WoW ain't all that interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Nope. Only those I have on my ignore list are. Once you do some cleaning up in the way of ignoring some, it is a nice forum.
    Me for exemple i cant do that cuz i like to see some troll