Do you have a basic idea of how police investigations work?

Source: Faux News Disclaimer

Original: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loca...t-10945584.php

While everyone can agree investigations sometimes don't proceed as they should and sometimes the ball is dropped, there are still basic ground rules. How evidence is collected, how it can be used, and of course the age old reasonable doubt.

An interracial couple in Connecticut said they will not remove the racial slur from the garage door of their home, despite being issued a blight citation that carries a $100 daily fine.

-

Lindsay told the Stamford Advocate on Monday that the slur will not be removed until “authorities do their job” and “not just cover it up and sweep it under the table as they have done in the past.”

-

Supporters of the couple want authorities to question three specific neighbors who Lindsay claims have discriminated against the couple in the past.

“We want those people investigated,” the family’s attorney Andre Cayo said. “We want those doors knocked on. We want their basements to be searched for spray cans.”
    I was reading this article and its a terrible situation, but the last part just made me think of the meme of the lady saying, "That is not how it works. That is not how any of this works."

The first part is reasonable. Questioning neighbors. You can do this regardless if there is evidence of history with them pertaining to the crime being investigated. You can even ask to search the home, but in this case if consent was given it would seem pointless; How many people have cans of spray paint in their home? Unless the color is something super unique what do you expect this to prove? In this case, its a generic black paint that was used.

Authorities said they were investigating the case, but were having a difficult time finding witnesses.
    This is a big thing. Believe it or not a vast majority of crimes go undetected or have no witnesses. Now as much as it is upsetting to be violated you cannot magically conjure up evidence or witnesses. This is why I think home and car camera systems are becoming more prevalent now a days.

So after reading the full article, what is your opinion? Are they being unreasonable or do you think something else?
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-02-21 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    So after reading the full article, what is your opinion? Are they being unreasonable or do you think something else?
    I think they're being reasonable in requesting a full investigation. I also think they're being unreasonable in refusing to paint over the graffiti, if that's the law.

I have been pulled into graffiti investigations before. Typically a detective will ask me if my external cameras might have recorded something. Other times, they'll come in with pictures of a suspect asking if we could identify him/her. Yeah, so cameras do work in that regard.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Anyone been following the investigation of the double homicide of Liberty German and Abigail William?
    The investigation for it has been becoming more suspicious, disturbing, and worrisome