Page 1 of 2
LastLast

This generation thing is confusing

So, I've been trying to figure out where my brother and I rank on this Generation X/Millennial issue.

I'm 35 (born in 82), he's 32. Does that make us both Millennials? Is he a Millennial and I'm Gen X? I've found conflicting ranges online.

Help me make sense of this silly generational cohort nonsense!

Both Gen Y / Millennials for marketing purpose.

Gen X is older.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generation is not specifically year based. Not only is it different areas to different people, but it also is part of which cultural range you subscribe to. You can be a (insert group here) and not subscribe to their stereotypes.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Like you i was born in 82 and i always felt more Gen-X than Millennial, with the way i am and what i like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same here, I don't really understand Millennials, my sister was born in '93 and she seems to fit the mold, I always identified more with "MTV Generation".

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Same here, I don't really understand Millennials, my sister was born in '93 and she seems to fit the mold, I always identified more with "MTV Generation".
    if you cant name 3 original MTV VJ's without having to look it up your not mtv generation.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are from the 80s
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Generations aren't about strict dates, they're about the events that make up your formative years. If both you and your brother resonate with the demolition of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War more than you resonate with, say, 9/11 and the global war on terror, you'd both be Gen Xers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pfft, silly Terrans... Learn from your superiors: there is only one generation, and that is the Swarm!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    So, I've been trying to figure out where my brother and I rank on this Generation X/Millennial issue.

I'm 35 (born in 82), he's 32. Does that make us both Millennials? Is he a Millennial and I'm Gen X? I've found conflicting ranges online.

Why does this matter at all?

It's all nonsense , but if you really want a label then as someone born in 1982 you are a millennial.

If you were born in the late 70's to early 80's and don't feel like you belong to either the X'ers or the Millennials, you likely belong to this one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Trail_Generation

Any one else remember playing Oregon Trail in the computer lab back when we were kids? I sure do.

As a person born in 1987 I don't have a hard time figuring out if I'm a Millennial, since late 80's and early 90's is always included in the Millennial cohort. Early 80's is more difficult though. According to Wikipedia Gen X is early-to-mid 1960s to "late 1970s or early 1980s". Millenials are early 1980's to mid 1990's or early 2000s. So unlike me you are in the grey area on that generational divide. Gen X is supposed to be a smaller generation between the big Baby Boomers and Millennial generations, with Millennials being the "children of baby boomers and early Gen X's". So if your parents are Baby Boomers I'd say you are most likely a Millennial (though not all children of Baby Boomers are Millennial, but one born in '82 probobly is). If your parents are whatever was before Baby Boomers, you are probobly Gen X. Your brother is a Millennial, in the most narrow definition he is among the oldest Millennial, but definitely a Millennial.
    Last edited by Zarc; 2017-03-10 at 09:33 AM.

I am a Gen Xer and have gen Y and Baby Boomer friends and workmates

Some companies in Australia/ New Zealand employ only people under 30..Gen Ys. To look youthful.

The company I work for employs a mix of Gen Y , Gex X and Baby boomers..
    Everyone gets on really well. And the company makes lots of $$.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm 35 (born in 82), he's 32. Does that make us both Millennials? Is he a Millennial and I'm Gen X? I've found conflicting ranges online.!
    There's no set scale, it will vary by who/where you ask. By UK scale you are both Gen Y ('80-2000).

Millennials is just a buzzword/slang for Gen Z (2000-)
    Last edited by caervek; 2017-03-10 at 10:00 AM.

Deleted
    No idea, I don't accept being put in a labeled box by anyone.

This generation thing doesn't say much. Not all boomers have it good, not all millennials are lazy and entitled.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    If you were born in the late 70's to early 80's and don't feel like you belong to either the X'ers or the Millennials, you likely belong to this one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Trail_Generation

Any one else remember playing Oregon Trail in the computer lab back when we were kids? I sure do.
    FUCK YE i remember that in school. i thought we were the only ones lol! hey i was young...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    There's no set scale, it will vary by who/where you ask. By UK scale you are both Gen Y ('80-2000).

Millennials is just a buzzword/slang for Gen Z (2000-)
    glad i missed that cutoff but i feel 82 is much better

You take the generations talk seriously? I thought it's just cheap insults to avoid having to talk about specifics. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    It's a stereotype, so trying to fit into one must be an exercise of you conparing yourself to the stereotype. If you share traits from both, maybe put a percentage, like people who are mix race say they're 25% Jamaican or whatevs.
    The very interaction you have with these labels -one way or the other- could be one such trait to analyze. I say that because I find it not uncommon for young people to express ideas to the tune of "as a millennial, I'm against stereotypes"

10+ Year Old Account
    Just ignore the generations bullshit. Because that's what it is, a big pile of made up bullshit.
    Quite frankly, even though around for several sun turns it's never ever been a big deal at all, until the rise of the internet.
    Only on the internet will you find people that give a fuck or two about it.
    But the amplification of something doesn't make it important by default. Especially not when it's deeply flawed without clear definitions.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."