Question Frost Mage Question

Just wondering, with no current legendaries, which is the best talent-build for putting out the best DPS?

Thermal Void or Glacial Spike?

Also for TV build, what would be best stat priority?

Crit > Haste? Haste > Crit > Mastery?

10+ Year Old Account
    The most accurate way, of course, is to sim yourself.

With that out of the way, my understanding is that Thermal Void will beat Glacial Spike in a majority of situations. The stat weights for frost are a little wonky due to the shatter cap and the possibility of GCD capping at high haste, but the general gearing strategy I've used is:
    Crit (to 33%) = Haste >= Vers > Mast > Crit (above 33%).
    Basically, I value Haste and Crit the same, as long as I'm not at the shatter cap, with Vers not far behind. I could be entirely wrong with this, but its worked for me so far.
    I use this build for single target/cleave, and this build for mythic+ if I go Frost. Admittedly, the mythic+ build is basically thrown together, and is to suit my groups need, so it isn't necessarily the best. (Read: please don't follow this!)
    I normally swap to Fire for mass AoE, and I'm experimenting with Arcane for AoE/cleave.

Thingy has a great guide for TV Frost over at Altered Time, I recommend checking out the theorycrafters over there because they know a heck of a lot more than I do!

Ty for the response.
    Question, any reason you take Splitting Ice over Frozen Touch for TV?

Is FT just really that bad of a talent? Seems like it would be a good thing for TV. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Copey View Post
    Ty for the response.
    Question, any reason you take Splitting Ice over Frozen Touch for TV?

Is FT just really that bad of a talent? Seems like it would be a good thing for TV. Just curious.
    Basically, the answer to that is yes. In the aftermath of the hotfix to Brain Freeze behavior, there's a bunch of breakpoints that make the top ST dps spec switch between FT and SI, and between LW and BC. It's basically impossible to tell if you should go LW/SI, LW/FT, BC/SI, or BC/FT without simming yourself.

That said, I'd recommend going Lonely Winter unless you sim yourself and find a significant (>10k) dps difference, and the same for Splitting Ice vs Frozen Touch. LW/SI is a much easier variant of the TV build to execute than BC/FT, because you simply have less procs to react to, and IV uptime is less important.

Quote Originally Posted by kzn View Post
    Basically, the answer to that is yes. In the aftermath of the hotfix to Brain Freeze behavior, there's a bunch of breakpoints that make the top ST dps spec switch between FT and SI, and between LW and BC. It's basically impossible to tell if you should go LW/SI, LW/FT, BC/SI, or BC/FT without simming yourself.

That said, I'd recommend going Lonely Winter unless you sim yourself and find a significant (>10k) dps difference, and the same for Splitting Ice vs Frozen Touch. LW/SI is a much easier variant of the TV build to execute than BC/FT, because you simply have less procs to react to, and IV uptime is less important.
    Gotcha.
    I appreciate the response and the helpful information.
    Will definitely put it to use and see if I can squeeze more out of my ST dps.