Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Obama didn't hate the military, he just hated using them. If he hated them, he would not have allowed the Middle East to burn for years; he would have put them to work.
    Obama hated spending money on the US military is the more accurate way to put it. He had a vision of the US retreating from it's traditional regional stabilizer / deterrence role and instead becoming a kind of counter-terrorism task force. The kind of expeditonary warfare the US military is designed around was an expensive anethema to him. Instead, cheap special operations troops, drone and cyberwarfare would allow him to trim the budget of expensive items like Aircraft carriers (he considered cutting one), bombers, fighter aircraft and heavy armor (he cut armored brigades by a third).

What the US is doing right now in Syria/Iraq is basically what Obama thought the US military should be. It should not be very much in the business of deterring China in the south china sea with expensive warships, or engaging in large scale ground battles like in 1991 or invading countries like in 2003. If he could do this, he could sharply pair the defense budget and free up hundreds of billions for other things. After all, this is the man who shrunk the US Army from 560,000 troops to 450,000, and seriously looked as low as 390,000.

Thank god Congress put a stop to his terrible ideas where they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Which Veteran benefits exactly, and why do you feel they should be removed? Are you referring to Disability benefits and/or the access to VA hospitals?
    Dont worry to hard about it, hes trying to bait me like usual.

I guess veterans with broken backs are abusing veterans benefits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Obama hated spending money on the US military is the more accurate way to put it. He had a vision of the US retreating from it's traditional regional stabilizer / deterrence role and instead becoming a kind of counter-terrorism task force. The kind of expeditonary warfare the US military is designed around was an expensive anethema to him. Instead, cheap special operations troops, drone and cyberwarfare would allow him to trim the budget of expensive items like Aircraft carriers (he considered cutting one), bombers, fighter aircraft and heavy armor (he cut armored brigades by a third).

What the US is doing right now in Syria/Iraq is basically what Obama thought the US military should be. It should not be very much in the business of deterring China in the south china sea with expensive warships, or engaging in large scale ground battles like in 1991 or invading countries like in 2003. If he could do this, he could sharply pair the defense budget and free up hundreds of billions for other things. After all, this is the man who shrunk the US Army from 560,000 troops to 450,000, and seriously looked as low as 390,000.

Thank god Congress put a stop to his terrible ideas where they could.
    This is why i LOL now when i see bonuses offered for 2 year contracts because the army is hurting for people.

All those good, well trained soliders the obama administration pushed out, now the government is going to have to pay huge bucks to rebuild the force. Sigh *hugs dd214*

first thing: if you have never been in the military then STFU because you have ZERO clue on how shit operates.
    Trump didnt pick up the phone, call the local day care, and cut the funding the way most of your little brains probably see it.
    that is not how any of this works.

heres the thing about the military: they dont make allowances for YOU...child care is a fucking amazing PRIVILEGE. isnt the place to join up thinking "whew, now im gonna have someone to watch my kids"
    but i would never expect civilians to understand or comprehend or have the ability to retain anything about the military.

Quote Originally Posted by brimdog View Post
    first thing: if you have never been in the military then STFU because you have ZERO clue on how shit operates.
    Trump didnt pick up the phone, call the local day care, and cut the funding the way most of your little brains probably see it.
    that is not how any of this works.

heres the thing about the military: they dont make allowances for YOU...child care is a fucking amazing PRIVILEGE. isnt the place to join up thinking "whew, now im gonna have someone to watch my kids"
    but i would never expect civilians to understand or comprehend or have the ability to retain anything about the military.
    Aa a veteran i understand where youre coming from, but lets get real here.

People grow up and have kids. If they cant afford childcare in the military, they will get out and seek employment elsewhere where the psy is better or the hours more reasonable.

It takes milions to train and equip one solider over the course of a standard 4 year contract. It would make economic sense to give every incentive that we can to keep good soliders in.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post

People grow up and have kids. If they cant afford childcare in the military, they will get out and seek employment elsewhere where the psy is better or the hours more reasonable.

It takes milions to train and equip one solider over the course of a standard 4 year contract. It would make economic sense to give every incentive that we can to keep good soliders in.
    The main people I have seen that are unable to afford child care are single parents in the military and they usually get out due to the lifestyle rather than being unable to pay for child care. Most single parents do not want to rely on their family to watch their child every time they are in the field or go on deployment.

I think the big problem are the single parents in the military. Considering this article is talking about a base in Germany, not many of the spouses are able to work off base so staying home and taking care of the children wouldn't be a problem. The problem is with single parents in the military which I personally do not agree with for the child's sake. The government provides a lot of benefits to military families. If you are married in the military and cannot survive off what you are paid then you need to seek financial counseling.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerthos View Post
    The main people I have seen that are unable to afford child care are single parents in the military and they usually get out due to the lifestyle rather than being unable to pay for child care. Most single parents do not want to rely on their family to watch their child every time they are in the field or go on deployment.

I think the big problem are the single parents in the military. Considering this article is talking about a base in Germany, not many of the spouses are able to work off base so staying home and taking care of the children wouldn't be a problem. The problem is with single parents in the military which I personally do not agree with for the child's sake. The government provides a lot of benefits to military families. If you are married in the military and cannot survive off what you are paid then you need to seek financial counseling.
    I agree, although thats what a FCP is for.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I agree, although thats what a FCP is for.
    It is, as long as they are done correctly and the service member doesn't run into problems halfway through the deployment. That's a separate issue though.