Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    This forum needs an upvote. These alt right fucktards are victims and embrace it when it suits them.
    Do you want an echo chamber? That's how you get an echo chamber.

This forum has never been about popularity. It is about discussing and sharing opinions, somes of which can be vastly different. With an upvote system, you kill this in the egg.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Reddit is not the government.

Not an issue.

Good. That subreddit was full of toxic users that abused the voting system.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Ah, the good ol' "[insert entitlement here] for me, not for thee" trope.
    I'd say the exact same thing for other overly zealous subreddits like GamerGhazi.

In fact, I rarely go to reddit anymore because many of the subreddits (and pretty much all political ones) are so poorly managed that they've turned into total echo chambers that ban any dissenters then acts like victims when people stop wanting to deal with their bullshit. These kind of people don't give a rat's hairy bum about free speech. They want to get on a soapbox and preach their drivel to everyone they possibly can with no one talking back. Well I'm not going to cry when reddit takes their soapbox back. Those who aren't happy with this can go join the circlejerk on Stormfront or something.

Reddit is easy to manipulate its not just a community its marketing tool. So yeah upvotes are not positive in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkconas View Post
    Reddit is easy to manipulate its not just a community its marketing tool. So yeah upvotes are not positive in some cases.
    Any system that ties visibility with upvoting is a flawed design, open to manipulation. Indeed, tempts it.

Reddit's trying to keep The Donald down.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Their site their rules. Use it or make your own.
    Thread should have ended right there.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

ITT:

The same far righters mad that a cake shop isn't allowed to deny doing business with someone based on protected classes are now triggered over a private business denying parts of their service to people based on non-protected classes.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Why are you guys crying like little babies about this? When the real travesty is the fact that /r/soccer was removed from the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    ITT:

The same far righters mad that a cake shop isn't allowed to deny doing business with someone based on protected classes are now triggered over a private business denying parts of their service to people based on non-protected classes.
    Anything that lets them play the victim card is fair game.

Why don't right-wingers take a hint. When the majority of people get mad at you for what you're saying, when you're getting banned, gagged and thrown out of discussion forums, you're not necessarily a great philosopher getting punished by some left-wing mafia for trying to teach the ignorant masses. Chances are high that you're just a hate-mongering, racist dick.
    Mother pus bucket!

t_D hasn't been on frontpage for ages. This is really old news. This was in November. No one cared then, and no one cares now.

So I'll sum it up for you. t_D is a toxic pro trump circlejerk that brought nothing positive to Reddit. They broke some of Reddit's rules, such as bot upvoting, harassment, witch hunting and brigading and such were punished for it, the absence of them on the front page is hardly bad for the website. Reddit is free to censor who they want, you don't have to like it or agree with it, but they can.

Don't like it? Make a competitor.

/r/Popular is different to the front page - that's a new addition to Reddit that's basically politics free and doesn't include some of the more vague default subreddits, so the absence of t_D there isn't some exclusive behavior towards them.

Reading the comments on that Daily Mail article gave me a stroke.
    Last edited by willtron; 2017-02-23 at 11:55 AM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Reddit is free to do what they like, but there are plenty of other hateful subreddits around stoll, this one just doesn't align with the administrator beliefs so it gets extra special treatment.

No one really cares if it's blocked from the front page or what ever, the only people who go there are either die hard trump fans or trolls.
    dragonmaw - EU

As soon as I see anyoen post something about those subreddits, it is clear that person is a brainwashed fool. I've watched quite a lot of people "radicalized" by ignorance from those pages. It's astounding how truly stupid some people are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    ITT:

The irony is quite fantastic isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    Reddit is free to do what they like, but there are plenty of other hateful subreddits around stoll, this one just doesn't align with the administrator beliefs so it gets extra special treatment.

No one really cares if it's blocked from the front page or what ever, the only people who go there are either die hard trump fans or trolls.
    This one used bots to upvote it to force it to the front page which is against the rules.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Free Speech doesn't apply to privately owned websites(Company's). So all of those pissy about it can get the fuck over it.
    It does in europe, though i really cant see anyone taking reddit to the european court.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeexbean View Post
    everyone has freedom of speech protection from the government only not from other people. No private business is forced to give you a platform
    True, but people repeat this like it's a non-issue.

Our whole media landscape and public discourse is shaped through privately owned media. This "it's not a problem if media censors certain parts of the political spectrum" idea that people have is a view that in theory could entirely stifle free speech.

I don't believe people would still repeat it if all major media outlets only shared conservative viewpoints. "Oh, it's all privately owned so it's not an issue, you can still shout at street corner, so there's no issue of free speech" is something people are fine with repeating as long as it doesn't get severe enough in their disfavor. If tomorrow all private media companies only shared anti-abortion viewpoints and there was no major platform for dissent, people wouldn't stick to this value at all.

Hyperbolic, for now, because there's still room for both views in public discourse, but the logic doesn't hold up and the people that repeat it here every time something like this come up would not stick to it. It's a nonsense view if it only holds up long as it works in your favor.

Since forums for public speech and discourse in our society is all privately owned, we can't ignore all infringement on speech and the sharing of ideas within the privately owned media sphere. If we do, free speech is an entirely empty idea that we're not willing to enforce, because it swings in our favor.

While they're well within their rights to run their site how they deem fit, you could argue they've got a responsibility to give a platform to all opinions as long as they don't break the law. Same as Twitter, Facebook and any popular enough social media. All three used by millions the world over, a smorgasborg of peoples and opinions.

If you start out with this inclusive stance (or grow into it) but then revoke it when it suits you, you just come off as a petty coward. You're essentially signaling you can't handle opposition or their arguments, so you'd rather just silence them instead. But they're a privately owned site, right, so they can do as they please.

I'm sure people holding that opinion feel the same way about employment and businesses.