Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Unless you line up gangsters with terrorism since the term is pretty broad.

But the reason I felt like asking this is because I thought over it out of boredom, and I absolutely despise shows like Black Lagoon, movies like The Departed, and most Grand Theft Auto games (plot-wise) that try to give a neutral/gray perspective on gangsters or organized crime in general. It never lines up with me because I view it all as pitch black evil and don't understand why these stories would try to feed you something else instead of basing their stories around what is realistic, even if it's all fiction.

Now terrorists (the ISIS kind) are universally agreed to be evil, so I just wonder what you think is worse and why.
    Seems to me like the gangsters portrayed in movies are always pretty evil. But that doesn't mean they aren't still fun to watch. And most Americans find it far easier to relate to an American gangster than an ISIS terrorist.

So basically ISIS terrorists aren't really any worse. They're just harder to relate to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    When was the last time gangsters killed thousands of people by flying planes into buildings? When is the last time gangsters suicide bombed innocent men, women, and children? When is the last time gangsters decapitated innocent people live on camera?

Just a few things one can ask...
    Death toll caused by gang violence and organized drug trade is pretty damn high. I'd wager that's it's much higher than the death toll from terrorist attacks in any western country.

For people in the middle east right now, terrorism is obviously worse.

Just depends where you are.

When was the last time gangsters killed thousands of people by flying planes into buildings? When is the last time gangsters suicide bombed innocent men, women, and children? When is the last time gangsters decapitated innocent people live on camera?

Just a few things one can ask...
    Gang violence accounts for nearly all black on black violence, which roughly equates to 3,000 black men/women/children a year. So yes, gangs are just as toxic, but they just lack the same 'shock and awe' factor as the violence deployed by religious fundamentalists.
    Last edited by SandmanActual; 2017-02-23 at 10:19 PM.

There should be more clarity in the op.

Are we talking low-level, disorganized street gangs? Inner city drug lords? The Mob? Cartels? After a point, organized crime can penetrate the fabric of government, so take that how you will.

What about terrorism? Are we talking about jihadist, ISIS-style terror? Dylan Roof terror? James Holmes? Boston Bombers? These are all forms of terrorism and mass killing, but the motivations are pretty different between them.

I would say though, does it matter? Not a one of these are "good" in any sense, so does it really matter which is worse?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Death toll caused by gang violence and organized drug trade is pretty damn high. I'd wager that's it's much higher than the death toll from terrorist attacks in any western country.

For people in the middle east right now, terrorism is obviously worse.

Just depends where you are.
    And how many of those deaths are of dirtbags who're just as bad as the gangsters doing the killing? Terrorism is purely about killing innocent people...even if the death toll isn't as high...those deaths are about nothing at all but harming and scaring innocent people...

I would say the cartels are in the same league as the terrorist, both used tactics to terrorize populations, behead innocents and some of them search their way into the politics of foreign countries so they can gain even more support in a secretive way

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SandmanActual View Post
    Gang violence accounts for nearly all black on black violence, which roughly equates to 3,000 black men/women/children a year. So yes, gangs are just as toxic, but they just lack the same 'shock and awe' factor as the violence deployed by religious fundamentalists.
    How many of them were innocent and how many of them were just gang bangers in return? There is no terrorist killing another terrorist...there is only terrorists killing innocent people...targeting innocent people...even if they don't kill anyone they thrive on scaring people.

15+ Year Old Account
    And how many of those deaths are of dirtbags who're just as bad as the gangsters doing the killing? Terrorism is purely about killing innocent people...even if the death toll isn't as high...those deaths are about nothing at all but harming and scaring innocent people...
    Having worked with, and volunteered with, quite a few drug addicts and heard the same horrible stories over and over about how they got pulled into that world, I don't think painting them as dirtbags or saying they "deserve" death any more than the rest of us in any way reflects reality.

Terrorists are gangsters. They both start conflict via intimidation in order to achieve their own goals.

Whether this is true or not, I cannot say. I am unable to find any data to either prove or disprove this statement. However, for the sake of discussion, I will assume your statement is true. However we should still take into consideration the collateral damage that results from this gang warfare. To expand on that I mean: innocent bystanders caught in crossfire, the innocent family members (particularly children) impacted by this culture of normalizing violence, and the reduction in property values and subsequent removal of legitimate job opportunities. These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.

While I will agree that if these people are, in fact criminals, then there is no loss to be had in their death. However it is important we still acknowledge that there is a strong possibility for long-term effects caused by the collateral damage of this gang violence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Not even close to true for America.
    that's why i used the word usually and not always or almost always.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Terrorists are gangsters. They both start conflict via intimidation in order to achieve their own goals.
    no they aren't. gangs usually start as people forming a group for protection or to plan some sort of nefarious activity together or whatever.
    terrorists are just a collection of heavily armed nutjobs who think terror is a legitimate way to spread a political ideal and or effect change.
    they can also come in the lone wolf variety but mostly they operate in groups or cells.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    I would say the cartels are in the same league as the terrorist, both used tactics to terrorize populations, behead innocents and some of them search their way into the politics of foreign countries so they can gain even more support in a secretive way
    it depends on which gang you are referring to. not every one of them operates using the terrorists playbook of how to engage in criminal activity.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    no they aren't.
    They both do exactly what I posted they do. That makes them the same, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanActual View Post
    This x 100. A wolf and a cheetah are different in appearance, but your throat won't care which one rips it from your body.
    By this logic a wolf may as well be a fucking bear.

- - - Updated - - -

They both do exactly what I posted they do. That makes them the same, in my opinion.
    Blue and red are both colors, therefore they are the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

To me, terrorists are worse. I know that gangsters do some awful things (cement shoes, body parts to the pigs, etc) but just look at some of things ISIS has done. A whole sex slave trade in which women were traded for cigarettes, burned people alive in cages, had children behead people.......

I know we don't know everything about gangsters, but it seems less crazy than what ISIS is doing.

Not to mention, terrorists have no "code of honor." They have no respect for life at all, even their own (which is why they will do suicide attacks).

The "official" line on the mob is that they won't come after you unless you "cross" them. Now what that entails varies from family to family. "Crossing" them might simply be not paying the "protection" money they demand....

If I had my choice to eliminate one from the world, I would pick terrorists in a heartbeat, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Blue and red are both colors, therefore they are the same.
    The same in the context of what I posted they do. Not the same in all aspects of their existence.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Real threat - Gangster Terrorists.

They'll blow a fuse in your Ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Gangsters barely exist anymore. There are unorganised gangs of youths here and there, which are becoming increasingly problematic as immigration from third world countries continues.

Terrorists kill people and can do some major damage, but then so can gangs, but in much smaller, albeit more frequent, quantities.

Kinda hard to tell without being a professional at the subject. I am of course comparing British gangs (Smashing bus stops, shops, cars, beating people up, murdering people with knives and curb-stomping etc...) with terrorism in general (Post bombs, suicide bombs, public executions, shootings). Obviously terrorism is more extreme, but it's much less frequent. Gangs in America seem much worse than what we get.

The same in the context of what I posted they do. Not the same in all aspects of their existence.
    And my point is that picking that sort of context defeats the whole purpose of those words, because those words are essentially defined by the differences that your context doesn't address.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    And my point is that picking that sort of context defeats the whole purpose of those words, because those words are essentially defined by the differences that your context doesn't address.
    The other differences don't matter to me once you start conflict via intimidation in order to achieve your own goals. Which is why I view them the same.

The other differences don't matter to me once you use intimidation in order to achieve your own goals. Which is why I view them the same.
    This is doing a disservice to the English language, but whatever.